It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
(female)

Angelina Marie HB User
Question about ADD?

I will set goals for myself and never accomplish any. Can ADD make accomplishing goals feel like an extremely challenging struggle? The doctor told me last year I had ADD but I never did anything about it. Now its really taking its toll on me causing me to be depressed. I'm going to make an appt and have it resolved, but in the mean time is not being able to accomplish goals caused by ADD? Also, I feel like my lows are really low and my highs are really high. But I'll come out of my low when I'm ready and switch into a high. And when I'm on a high, something small can set me off to where I see red and want to kill. But then, I will come into a high again when my mind wants to I guess, I don't know. Input would be appreciated, thanks.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
(female)

lo23 HB User
Re: Question about ADD?

Hi there! You definitely sound like me. For years I've had the same struggles. Make plans and get super excited for them only to not be able to follow through. For a few years I was always told it was because of depression but no meds were working until I found a new doctor who suggested ADD. I got put on Strattera and things started looking better but I was still having the same really low lows and really high highs, everything was black and white, no grey area. So my doctor added Wellbutrin to the mix. It's definitely helped balance things out better but I'm still having some trouble with those lows and highs. I'm hopeful though an appointment with my doctor to see about upping the Wellbutrin dosage will be a positive one.

But I think you'll definitely be glad you're finally seeing the doctor and being proactive about it. I know medication works differently for everybody but trust the doctor, give it time, and I'm sure you'll find what works best for you and soon you'll find yourself checking off your accomplished goals.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

crookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB User

Make sure you tell your doctor about your lows and highs. Maybe you have ADD but this also sounds like it might be some form of depression and you will need to treat that, not just the ADD (even if you believe ADD is the cause). I would also be careful about stimulants because if you're experiencing lows and highs as well as moodiness a stimulant could make it even worse (i mean, I am no doctor but all I will say is stimulants make even non-moody people moody).

Good luck. I don't think ADD really "resolves" I think it's more like you just learn to live with it by finding the right tools and habits to help you accomplish your goals (i think that's also how some kids "grow out" of it).

Old 09-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
(female)

Angelina Marie HB User

Thanks for the input. I don't think its depression as I went to the doctor once for depression and anxiety and he was the one who brought up ADD. Whatever my condition maybe, if medication is optional, I don't expect to take a pill and poof, my whole life is switched over from being a mess to not being a mess without will power. I've overcame my depression and anxiety due to will power and mind over matter, but this, I don't know.. I can't seem to get my stuff together. Thanks again for the input

Old 09-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

crookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB User

Hmmm...again, I would really be careful about assuming this is ADD...Your lows and highs definitely sound more like manic depression... Manic depressive people often set lots of goals and make lots of plans during their "highs" (which are always very "high") and then they never accomplish them and they hit these very low "lows" where they basically bottom out...it's a vicious cycle, and if this is what you're going through it proper treatment could be key.

Another thing is--and I don't mean this as an insult, I'm just pointing it out--depression and anxiety cannot be "willed" away by will power alone, so I dunno what's up with that (like if you actually received treatment for it or just ignored it) but it's not a weakness of character that causes these problems, it's just brain chemistry...

Old 09-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
(female)

Angelina Marie HB User

Thumbs down. I'm not even going to waste my time explaining silly person

Last edited by Angelina Marie; 09-27-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Closed Thread