It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
(male)

NJetsY HB User
Long Term Adderall Use Affects on Development?

I often wonder if daily use of adderall over long periods of time might cause growth problems. Are hgh levels tested in kids that take the medication long-term. Adderall suppresses one's appetite. If a kid is prescribed Adderall takes it before school and at lunch... they often don't eat on it and wait until nighttime when it's affects have ended to eat. HGH is produced primarily while sleeping and its release is reduced by insulin spikes. If a kid gets home from school and gorges at night, how could it not affect their development in terms of release of hgh at night? It is said that eating as early as 2 hrs before bed can limit hgh production. Also, while we are the topic of development...Adderall is a vascular restrictor. It's known to cause temporary shrinking of the penis. If you don't believe me on this one, look it up. There is a term used among the meth-using community for this particular side-affect of amphetamine-use called "speed dick." It pulls blood from extremities to the heart. If one were to take it from age 6 to 20 everyday, would this not affect the development of the genitals? Would the blood vessels within the penis not be subjected to "normal" expansion and therefore not stretch to their "normal capacity" By normal I mean the amount they would be stretched if one were not on adderall long term. This is a serious question. Please let me know what you all think about these theories and if you think they are wrong. Defend them with some sort of science or study. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
(female)

kthinks HB User
Re: Long Term Adderall Use Affects on Development?

I'm also interested in knowing the answer to this. As an Adderall user for 14 years, I am also extremely interested to know the answer to this. I don't have any research to give you an answer, but I'll be checking back here to see if anyone else does. Sorry I can't be much help. I'll probably go research it right now and then come back later, but just wanted to let you know that I really appreciate your question.

Closed Thread