It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
(female)

nickinicki9 HB User
Coping methods no meds?

I have recently been unofficially diagnosed with Adult ADHD. (A licensed psychiatrist told me that I had it, but it would take extensive, and expensive, tests to be officially diagnosed. Tests I do not have the money to pay for. So my diagnosis remains an unofficial one)
I've always been pretty nervous about the idea of trying drugs, so I'd like to stay away from that as long as possible. However, I'm at the end of my rope as far as coping methods.

I'm 25 years old, and I currently hold down a full-time job as a nanny, as well as go to school full-time. I get pretty good grades, but it's community college, so it's not very homework-intensive. I worry about what would happen if I went to a higher education school with a bigger work load.

I've never been able to finish a big project. I can keep my mind on tasks if they're short and easy to complete and see the fulfillment of, but when it comes to a longer term task (like learning an instrument or other skill) I'm hopeless. I can't seem to make myself focus on anything long enough to stick with it. I get frustrated when anything becomes routine and can't seem to deal. I've never been able to stick with routines. I make plans and lists and after a week or two they drive me crazy and I can't do them anymore.

Even with schoolwork, I only manage as well as I do because I have small amounts of work and lots of time to do it, so I can do it in short bursts and come back to it later. I'm sick of living my life this way. I can stick to nothing. Even things I truly enjoy, like playing instruments, or reading an engaging book.

So what I'm asking is, does anyone have any ideas as to coping methods? Is there anything I can do? Do meds really help? Nothing I've tried seems to make me be able to focus. Any help or advice would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
(male)

MahaVailo HB User
Re: Coping methods no meds?

personally, seems you have reached the end of your "unmedicated" coping methods. I myself have been medicated since i was 5 and have only, in recent years, seen how much an affect it has had. The one thing is, I have learned unmedicated coping methods.

weird one might say, but the fact of the matter is you cant be medicated 24 hrs a day. And, when used properly, medications can be used more then just a "quick fix". What the meds can allow you to do is finally experience what a "normal brain" without ADD behaves like. And you can use this "normal brain" state to do one of two things.

1). Train your brain to adopt helpful habits when you are unmedicated.

2). Use your "normal brain" to function as a "normal person" might do.

that isnt to say that using medication doesnt have side-effects, and with all the different kinds out there having varying effects and degrees usefulness. Utimately, it is all about what you want the meds to do.

If you are finding you just want to develop better life-style habits, vyvanse or dexidrine might be helpful for a short period of time, because (for me atleast) they had the most effect of controlling my "mind & thoughts".

If you want to mitigate your condition and ADD tendencies, then adderral, srattera, or any of the others might be more helpful. The problem some people have with meds is that you become DEPENDANT on them to function cofrectly, without developing good off-med habits. And you hae meds to counteract side effects.

Also, if you find sleeping difficult, clonidine (although originally for blood pressure) I found can actually calm those "racing thought" late at nite, when used in small doses... But, I suggest only relying on it whe yo have something important in the morning that yl need to ENSURE a restful sleep, to avoid dependance or addiction.

Closed Thread