It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
(female)

Michellela HB User
So frustrated-desperate for any tips!

Hi everyone,
I'm 37 and diagnosed with severe ADD as an adult. Looking back, I see how much my ADD has affected my entire life. I'm back in college-hoping to go to nursing or med school. I'm so frustrated right now, and yes, feeling sorry for myself. It's so hard for me to even start studying, much less study for an extended time. I'm breaking up my study times-as doc suggested but I can't seem to get a routine that works for me. I'm so sick of it! I feel like just quitting college, again... I would think with all the meds I'm on that my ADD would be better. My doctor just increased my dosage from 10mg 3x a day to 4x a day, but it isn't making the studying aspect much easier. I've tried most of the other ADD meds and Adderall works best for me. I just wish it wasn't so damn hard all the time. I know things could be much worse, but I just wish things were easier sometimes... I keep thinking that if I can't handle 2 classes at once, how am I ever going to do well in a full time program. Anyone else feel like this, and have any tips to get over the hump?
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Michelle

Old 11-15-2012, 06:46 AM   #2
(male)

MahaVailo HB User
Re: So frustrated-desperate for any tips!

If it is a matter of concentration. I would think your choice in medication might be the problem. Adderall (which has been quite a number of years since I took it), while affective, did not give me the focused edge that ones like DEXIDRINE or Vyvase did.

And you cant rely on the medication to help you study. While on the meds, it is your job to use that better state of mind to train yourself with good habits. A reward system helps. Or use some conditions of your ADD itself as a tool.

SLEEP, or quick naps can act like "reset button"s for your brain (and you have probably have felt sleepy sometimes while studying, am I right?) So, rather than fighting this endency, make PROPER ARRANGMENTS in your schedule to account for this "nap time".

Meds aren't a quick fix, or some sort of daily miracle pill... they are tools, to show our ADD messed-up minds what a "normal brain" functions like. To use as a Reference for when the meds wear off.

Also it COULD be the environment that is the problem. If you do your studying at home I suggest you DON'T! Your home is an environment you have created around yourself to where you can relax. It has too many things around you to draw your attention away. Invest time i your day to do it in the library or on school grounds.

If you use social media or anything else distracting over the internet, I suggest borrowing the computers in your library/computer lab for use during researching. You are less likely to do so in an environment where ppl can see, and on a device you are not comfortable with.

Having the proper environment for learning is one step you can take to better foster a mentality for learning. Hope these suggestions help.

Last edited by MahaVailo; 11-15-2012 at 06:58 AM. Reason: added more advise about environment...

The Following User Says Thank You to MahaVailo For This Useful Post:
addprogrammer (11-19-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
(female)

Michellela HB User

Studying outside of the home is a perfect idea for me!!! I am always so distracted at home. I don't get sleepy, but I ALWAYS end up doing 15 different things while trying to study. I usually go to school an hour or so before a test and study, and it really helps me. I'm going to start going to school/library to study and do homework. Thank you so much for the info!!! Have a great day!
Michelle

Old 11-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Michellela,

You got some very good advise from MahaVailo especially on the need to learn good study habits. Meds fix the biology. It is up to you to learn the skills our bugged up brains could not learn before.

With all due respect, why do you want to pursue a career medicine?

Our ADHD brains give us an enormous advantage. We get the big picture fast. Most of us are born communicators, people people, creative, out of the box thinkers, and good leaders. We SUCK at details. May I suggest pursuing a career your brain is designed for.

Ask yourself. What is it I love to do? Pursue that. Whatever it is, apply MahaVailo's advise. You'll fly with the eagles.

BTW We are out of the box thinkers cuz we can't get in the box to begin with. The box is the try and trued "best practices" way to do things. Sucks.

Regards,
Bob

The Following User Says Thank You to addprogrammer For This Useful Post:
MahaVailo (11-25-2012)
Closed Thread