It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
(female)

Lovemus1c HB User
Adderall (xr and ir)- super tired after it wears off. Any suggestions??

Hello everyone. I'm new here, and forgive me if this has already been posted about, but I can't seem to find a good solution.

I am ADHD inattentive type, diagnosed June 2012. (apparently, I should have been diagnosed in middle school, but my parents never were believers). I'm prescribed adderall xr 30mg once daily, and adderall ir 10 mg to be taken at 2-3pm. I have never abused it, never borrowed it from friends, never taken more than prescribed, etc.

First off, adderall xr lasts me on average 6-7 hours. If I take it at 11am, it takes about an hour to kick in, and by 5pm I am no longer focused, and by 6pm, my body is completely worn out- I could sleep till the next day- but that isn't an option bc I have school work to complete (engineering college student). Adderall ir focus effect only lasts me about two hours, if I'm lucky. My doctor added the adderall ir 10mg to my daily dosage to try and help combat the afternoon sleepiness I would get when I'd take my adderrall xr 30mg at 9am. No matter what though, I'm completely useless and exhausted by 6pm, which is a major problem!

When I am on adderall xr 30mg, I feel a little bit high strung... Maybe over stimulated... I talk faster, my heart races slightly, especially after smoking a hookah, and i can get a little anxious. So, I'm thinking about asking my doctor to put me on 20mg xr or 25mg xr bc 30mg xr might be just a bit too high.

As far as the comedown (extreme exhaustion and could sleep for hours), I don't know what to do to fix this. Has anyone experienced this and found a solution? Could coffee help? Do power naps while on adderall help?

Coffee can make me sleepy (and a little anxious) too so not sure if that would help, and I'm scared of taking it so late in the day as I want to be able to fall asleep by 12-1am.

I eat relatively healthy, I'm female, 21 years old, 5'7" and weigh 120lbs, so I'm in great shape. I think I have a high metabolism (I use to be on adderrall ir 10 mg twice a day but found one pill would last me an hour and a half).

Also, Dexedrine is not an option. I tried it for two weeks at 5mg a day, then twice a day, and it put my to sleep in minutes (apparently, this is a very rare side effect and while my doc had heard of it before, he'd never seen it actually occur).

And, I dont have insurance so this is plenty expensive as is.

Side note, a sibling of mine is diagnosed with ADHD, narclespsy, bipolar (the worse/more rare of the two types- extreme manic and depressive episodes). Im not bipolar, but I do fear sometimes that adderrall or another drug could alter t chemicals enough one day. Narcolepsy is also genetic, so I very well may have that and maybe that's why the comedown is so bad.

Sorry about the rant (wanted yall to have all the info) but if anyone could help or post their personal experieces, I'd really appreciate it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
adderall, adderall comedown, coffee, nap, sleepy