It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
(female)

JAT0716 HB User
ADD- Nightshift worker med advice?

I work nightshift. I have troubles lately with consistency in taking my medication. I take adderall XR same dose for the last 10 years. It actually works well with me. My problem is I have to skip doses because I don't live a "night schedule" the first day I am off I do not take my medication that way I can sleep. Therefore, most of the time I take my medication is right before I go into work at 630pm. Then on my consistent days off I take in the morning like a normal person. I think I need to go nonstimulant and think I know which route I will go. In the meantime, I am looking for a little bit of input to see what has worked for maybe some of you, a friend of yours, or just opinion I guess before I meet up with my PCP. Thanks

Last edited by mod85; 12-09-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
(female)

Vashtia HB User
Re: ADD- Nightshift worker med advice?

I've been on Strattera before and that's a non-stimulant. It worked as well as anything else I've taken (Dextrostat, Ritalin). I took it for several years until it seemed like I built up a tolerance to it. It happens like that with all medications for me. So every few years I have to change to something different.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2012, 05:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User
Re: ADD- Nightshift worker med advice?

Turning your schedule around is very bad for your ADHD symptoms. I do the same thing, and I can tell you that I was far more successful with managing my symptoms when I was on a steady schedule.

That said, in your post you discuss a problem with consistency in taking your medication. What sorts of issues does this inconsistent dosing cause for you? If you're just concerned that you're taking your doses at inconsistent times, I wouldn't worry about it. Take your dosage at whatever time is "morning" for you, and as long as you're not having any problems, don't lose any sleep over it (pardon the pun ).

If, however, you're having sleep issues or symptom issues, the problem may be more fatigue than medication. Turning your schedule around is not a natural thing, and will have consequences for anyone, ADHD or not (I'm not necessarily advocating that you don't turn your schedule around, just suggesting that a med change may not help).

As for a non-stimulant med, there are more now than ever to choose from: I have benefitted significantly from Wellbutrin; Bob (ADDprogrammer) has had luck with Intuniv; and I finally saw someone have symptom improvements on Strattera (I was shocked, but it seems to work with some people). Each works differently, so you may have to try each before you know which is right for you.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Thunor; 12-16-2012 at 05:48 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
adderall alternatives, adult add