It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
(female)

tlove3 HB User
Question i think i have add, i'm in college

I am in college, and for months i've realize i can't focus on anything for over 10 mins.Everytime i try to study i get up and do something else. For instance, I was doing my homework but now im browsing the internet. idk what's wrong with me, it has gotten to the point where i would go in my bathroom and cry because i can't focus. i need help! If i fail this semester i will lose my scholarship,

i've been looking up symptoms of ADD and i fit every criteria, but i don't want to go to my school's psychiatrist and they think im just another college student tryna get high. idk what to do, it's cause me to become depressed.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User
Re: i think i have add, i'm in college

Is your ability to focus a new issue, or has it occurred over a long period of time? Part of the diagnostic criteria for ADHD is that it must have exhibited itself from early childhood. That said, a lot of ADHD individuals, myself included were intelligent enough to fake their way through public school and make it into college/university where faking it just isn't enough anymore.

If you have been able to focus and concentrate in the past and this is something new for you, I would talk to your doctor and/or psychiatrist and look for another cause of your focus issues--there are a plethora of other issues, both physical and mental/emotional that can lead to problems that can appear to be ADHD. If your focus issues have been lifelong, then ADHD is certainly a possibility, and I would suggest seeking diagnosis/treatment as your issues are unlikely to improve without doing so.

As far as being seen as a drug seeker, if you go into your appointment and are sincere, honest, and make a real effort in any tests that are run, you shouldn't have a problem--especially if you don't go into things asking for medication right off the top. If the school psychologist believes there's a real issue, they will suggest medication themselves.

The only other thing I can suggest is that college is a huge life change, and the lifestyle/schedule that often comes with it can cause focus issues in and of itself. The stresses of full-time school on top of part-time jobs, social obligations, homesickness, poor diet and in some cases dramatic increases in alcohol and caffeine consumption can have huge implications for one's ability to focus. Make sure that you're sticking to a regular schedule as much as possible, keep your diet as healthy as you can, exercise every day, and avoid overuse of stimulants/depressants. These are good rules of thumb for controlling ADHD symptoms throughout your life, so they may help you in your situation now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
add/adhd, adderall, college