It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

azuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB User
Aggressiveness- adderall?

I am wondering if you folks could help with understanding a situation we are experiencing with an aggressive neighbor.

About 1 1/2 yrs. ago the neighbor said she lost 60 pounds without exercise or diet change. I suspected it was bariatric surgery.

Yet, what we have seen over the past 18 months or so is that she appears highly agitated-hyper like she has had too many cups of coffee. Talkative to the point she seems like she can't stop talking. And, aggressive-mostly on a verbal level but getting into your face and being pushy.

This is concerning as even before the weight loss she didn't seem mentally balanced.

After reading an article in the paper about Adderall addiction, we are beginning to think this sounds like our neighbor and it would explain the weight loss too.

Are people using adderall for weight loss? Does her behavior sound like she may be strung out on adderall? Is it possible she may get physically aggressive?

(I don't mean to disrespect anyone who is responsibly taking this drug for its prescribed purpose.)

Last edited by azuree; 02-05-2013 at 09:01 AM.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User
Re: Aggressiveness- adderall?

You're potentially correct on all counts; each of the effects and behaviors you describe could be attributed to stimulant abuse. It's impossible to narrow your neighbor's choice of stimulant beyond that, but Adderall is indeed a stimulant and could certainly be the source of the effects you describe. That said, your neighbor could as easily be abusing any number of stimulants both legal (caffeine, ephedrine, Ritalin, etc.), or illegal (Cocaine, crystal methamphetamine, extacy) - all of which have been employed for weight loss, either on or off label at various times.

If your neighbor has been abusing stimulants over a long period of time, the potential for their behavior to decline exists, and violence is not out of the question. Extreme cases of long term stimulant abuse can lead to all sorts of mental health issues including hallucinations and psychosis. Indeed, at toxic levels, stimulants can kill the neurons in the parts of the brain that are responsible for impulse control and satisfaction, leaving one with desperate cravings and unable to regulate impulses for violence or self harm.

Abusing any substance has the potential to cause extreme behavior, of course, so it's impossible to attribute a specific case to stimulant abuse in a forum like this, we're talking in hypotheticals. If your neighbor's behaviour is aggressive, I would suggest doing what you can to avoid her, whatever the cause.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thunor For This Useful Post:
azuree (02-06-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

azuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB User

That was an excellent response . Thank you so much. She definitely never seemed to have much impulse control as she was aggressive with workers coming to our property and verbally aggressive with us. We just walk away from her.

Yes, we are doing everything to avoid contact with this person.

The problem is that she is also acting predatory. If we are in our yard when she comes home, she stays in her car and watches us. Eventually we walk away. We worry about whether she is going to leap out sometime and assault us.

Sure it may not be adderall but another stimulant she is on. To our reckoning it has now been about 2 yrs. since her massive weight loss so we would guess she started something around that time. And, as stated she said she took the weight off without exercise or changing her diet. Strange. Yet, she has kept it off mostly from what we can see. So....our guess she is on something.

We are not thinking cocaine or meth , because don't people get really wiry and thin on those? She is not that thin at all still kind of chunky but minus 60 pounds she previously had. I believe she said she is around 160.

Our guess is that it is something legal she is on and that she is getting it from a dr. Thus, thinking it would likely be an add drug as from what we read she could get that pretty easily .

Is there anything you think we should watch for that would let us know she is way over the edge or absolutely on something?

Though we will not get close in with her ever due to fears of her aggression-so we couldn't see her pupils to see if dilated.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

To my knowledge there is no specific way to know if someone abusing stimulants is going to become violent. That said, I would be careful if you notice your neighbor's aggressiveness is increasing, or if her behaviour is becoming more erratic. It's unlikely (though I suppose not impossible) that she will have a psychotic break out of the blue; it's more likely that her decline will be progressive.

As to the differences between prescription and illegal stimulants, you're correct that many crystal meth users become excessively skinny and develop a number of hygiene related issues. This is not a rule, however. The biggest problems with illicit drugs is usually less related to the drug itself than with quality control and extreme dosing. Properly made and in the right doses, methamphetamine is actually legal in the US for treatment of obesity and ADHD (though I understand it's nigh impossible to get a prescription for it these days for obvious reasons).

I empathize with your situation, and I hope things work out. You may consider discussing your concerns with your local police. While your neighbor's behaviour may not be actionable, they will likely be able to provide you with some tips and strategies to keep yourself safe.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thunor For This Useful Post:
azuree (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

That is all good and helpful information. Thank you.

I am going to start keeping notes of any weird stuff that goes on with her. And if I become more concerned, I will call the police for some advice.

Closed Thread