It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
(female)

Skully82 HB User
Strattera for 7 year old son

My 7 year old son was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 5 years old. We put him on Ritalin which showed immediate positive results. In kindergarten -before the Ritalin, his teacher would complain daily about him not sitting still, being distracted and disruptive daily. He was exhausting her, and it was effecting his learning. I was told that march that he still had plenty of goals that needed to be met before the year end. That April he started Ritalin. At the year end meeting with his teacher, she actually cried because she was so amazed by his progress, and what would normally take a school year to complete (meeting his goals) it took him 2 months.
Grade 1 continued to be a success, he was focused and completed tasks. His teacher was thrilled with him. Grade 2 it was much the same, until February when I went to his doctor to get another refill on his Rx. His doctor asked how my son was sleeping at night. I told him that he has always had a hard time falling asleep and sleeping throughout the night, and has always had a hard time waking up for school. His doctor recommended Strattera (because its a non-stimulant). At the end of February he started it. I met with his teacher, principal and school nurse and informed them of the medication change, and of the side effects and planned to keep the communication open incase they noticed a negative change. Starting March 7 through to present I've received (almost daily) negative feedback. "Disruptive, in attentive, agitated, dishonest, doesn't follow rules, can't stay on track" They were endless. I thought maybe it would just take some time to start working. His doctor upped the dose from 40mg to 80mg, but this caused his regular ADHD symptoms to double. Also he began showing new changes, like getting violent with his little sister, having full-blown temper tantrums (even as a toddler he NEVER had temper-tantrums) he was acting depressed at home, wouldn't talk to us, couldn't focus on tasks (homework, chores etc) and began "talking-back" all completely out of nature to him, and the notes and phone calls home from the principal were scary. All completely opposite of his nature. With his ADHD, his biggest problem was sitting still and focusing, whereas violence and anger has never been an issue, he was a completely different child.
When he was on Ritalin we only used it for school, didn't take it on weekends/holidays. The other day, he grabbed his 4 year old sister by the arms and slammed her into the kitchen cabinets all because she wasn't "vacuuming the floor properly". I decided to stop the strattera right there, cold turkey, and today my husband is taking him in to go back on Ritalin.
I'm just wondering if any other parents noticed a drastic negative change in their child's behaviour after starting strattera?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply