It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
(female)

TisMyUsaname HB User
Angry Are my symptoms common?

Hi there!

I have been recently diagnosed with ADHD. It's been a real struggle my whole life, not knowing why I never had energy, terrible procrastination, always depressed, anxious, getting stuck on things that mad me feel good.

Before being diagnosed, I was on about 5 different anti-depressants and an anti-psychotic.. all of which didn't do anything! Bye bye 8 months of my life! Haha..

Anyway, I was wondering if the following symptoms are common for ADHD:
1. Feeling as if you have a million things on your mind, but you don't really know what you actually have on your mind.

2. Your feelings constantly changing about things. Example: I really love a song one day and it makes me feel good, but another day, I hate it.

3. Your mood fluctuates severely throughout the day.

4. Zero energy. Not wanting to even walk down the street or some days.. not wanting to click the mouse on the computer.

ALSO, I was prescribed Adderall and took it for just one day, four days ago. I decided it wasn't for me because it wore off in 2 hours and left me feeling really panicky, dizzy, nauseous and every time I move my eyes, it feels like an electric shock, behind my eyes. I still have these symptoms! Withdrawals from taking it for a day?

Old 06-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
(female)

TisMyUsaname HB User
Re: Are my symptoms common?

Any answer would be good! lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
(male)

iono HB User

Yup.. those are within the ADHD requirements. How long since you quit your last ssri? Sounds like ssri withdrawal to me.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
(male)

amallama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TisMyUsaname View Post
I was wondering if the following symptoms are common for ADHD:
1. Feeling as if you have a million things on your mind, but you don't really know what you actually have on your mind.
For me, I often have many things on my mind, get distracted by them, jump from one to the other. If someone were to ask me what I was thinking about, I might tell them "I don't know" for the convenience of not having to try to describe the multitude of ideas going on in my head. But for myself, internally, I know.

Quote:
2. Your feelings constantly changing about things. Example: I really love a song one day and it makes me feel good, but another day, I hate it.
Again, this is just me, but that is not my experience. I may go through periods of intense focus on some particular thing/subject/concept/band, but when my focus shifts somewhere else, I don't then dislike the thing I was loving just the other day.

Quote:
3. Your mood fluctuates severely throughout the day.
I don't experience that, but many other ADHD folks do.

Quote:
4. Zero energy. Not wanting to even walk down the street or some days.. not wanting to click the mouse on the computer.
Maybe not an ADHD symptom, directly? Perhaps more like a type of depression? Of course, many ADHD folks get a bit depressed about all the struggles and difficulties that they face, so, just because you're experiencing something that isn't specifically, directly an ADHD symptom, that does *not* mean that you don't have ADHD.

Quote:
ALSO, I was prescribed Adderall and took it for just one day, four days ago. I decided it wasn't for me because it wore off in 2 hours and left me feeling really panicky, dizzy, nauseous and every time I move my eyes, it feels like an electric shock, behind my eyes. I still have these symptoms! Withdrawals from taking it for a day?
Adderall works well for some ADHD folks... and not so well for others. So, assuming you have ADHD, it still might be the case that Adderall just isn't a good fit for you.

However, with that said, a couple important things stand out to me in your description of your experience with Adderall:

* Like many drugs, the first days (or more) of use can sometimes be challenging, strange, even a little uncomfortable. I don't know what dosage you were prescribed -- if it was more than 5mg for your initial "test run" then that could be part of the problem. It's better to slowly "ramp up" over the course of several weeks (or months) in order to get used to it, and to hopefully figure out if there is any particular dosage that seems to work (better) for you.

* Like iono mentioned, is it possible that (part of?) what you're experiencing could be related to ssri withdrawal or something similar?

* If you crashed after just a couple hours, then you were probably taking Adderall IR (Instant Release) -- actually, that seems a bit fast even for IR -- it should typically last longer than that. But if it is the "crash" that is particularly harsh for you, then the XR (eXtended Release) formulation *might* be a better option.

* Or it could just be that Adderall isn't the best option for you.

* I would recommend talking to your doctor about the issues you've raised here. They are certainly relevant and important issues to consider.

Hope this helped.

Cheers!

Old 07-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
(female)

monkeydriven HB User

I second iono's suggestion that the side effects you are referring to are ssri withdrawals. I am currently tapering off of Celexa, and the side effects you describe sound A LOT like SSRI withdrawals. These can happen while you're tapering.. when you reduce your dose.. after you quit cold turkey.. the list goes on and on, but unless you stopped completely over a month ago, it might not entirely be the adderrall. Especially the electric shock behind your eyes! I also know that I was concerned I'd have adderrall withdrawals, and my doctor had said that 10mg 2X daily was too low of a dose to have withdrawals from, although now from whatever else I've read, I don't know how accurate that is. Everybody and every body is different!

That said, I have basically ALL of your symptoms. I go through phases where I get home and just let me apartment go to crap because I don't feel like doing anything.. at all. I know one of my friends said, "That sounds like depression." But it didn't FEEL like depression to me. The more I learn about ADHD, the more I recognize that some of the things I was experiencing are ADHD, not other factors (though there are always other factors!). I highly recommend "Driven to Distraction" and "Delivered from Distraction," both are great on audiobook -- you'll learn a lot about what makes your ADD brain tick, and how to work with it.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:51 AM   #6
(female)

iLikeSparkles HB User

I DON'T think it's SSRI withdrawl, because she said that she's ALWAYS felt like she doesn't have very much energy. Sometimes for females with ADD (or I suppose males too who don't have hyperactive type add, we have the opposite of hyperactive and can be very underactive.

I am reading a book right now called "drive to distraction" it's one of those ADD classics. If not that one, try to find at least one good well recommneded book (look at ADD sights like CHAD for recommened reading) to read. Or read some books for kids or teens (they are just easier to read but often have a lot of information)

There is SO much more to ADD than people think. I've been diagnosed for 20 years and I'm still learning new things

Reply Reply

Tags
adderall comedown, adhd symptoms