It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
Smile Trying to Find Newer Drug for ADD

I know this was not good but I had been taking Dexedrine (10 mg at 6 a day per my ADD spec). Lost job, worried about price and wanted to try Vyvance since if I had to buy without insurance it would be 170 vs almost 700 bucks for Dex. Prior to my 60 mg of Dex (like 15 yrs ago) I was on much higher doses. Much higher, but was prescribed by Dr. who apparently got license taken away. My wonderful family phys got me to a ADD Spec (Physc) and they helped me lower doses of Dex to current 60 mg a day. My family dr. (whom I really love and don't want to lose) gave me Vynv at 30 mg a day and I had to take 2 to stay awake! Told him the truth so he upped to 70. I kept trying to take it and would go to sleep in church or while driving! My shrink had been promoted and left so I went back to mental health clinic and got intern who gave me the same amt of Dex I was taking before. I felt like my old self again! But, I kept "trying" the Vyvance also. I really didn't know I was doing something illegal since my current insurance paid for both! Got red flagged and actually relieved because I did know switching back and forth couldn't be good. Thankfully, my shrink and family Dr. got together and I have appt with both soon. They made sure I had plenty of med, which I have a whole drawer full! My question is (finally) what should I do? I just want to be "normal" and I have tried newer drugs and they just don't work. Anyone had problems trying different ADD meds and not being able to tolerate the newer drugs? Please don't lecture me because I feel ashamed and guilty enough. I just want help and input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
(male)

amallama HB User
Re: Trying to Find Newer Drug for ADD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharBerry View Post
I know this was not good but I had been taking Dexedrine (10 mg at 6 a day per my ADD spec).
That doesn't really sound much different from a lot of folks around here who take 20mg 3x/day or 30mg 2x/day... and that's usually Adderall, which tends to have a longer effective duration than Dexedrine.

Quote:
I kept trying to take [Vyvance] and would go to sleep in church or while driving! ...got intern who gave me the same amt of Dex I was taking before. I felt like my old self again!
Your subjective experience should be the primary arbiter of what "works" and what doesn't. It's easy to think that just because some other med is newer, or seems to work well for some other folks, that it's going to be "the one" for you.

You know yourself better than anyone else in the world... better than any doctor, any professional, any expert. They may be able to tell you all about the neurochemical effects of drug X vs drug Y, but only you can know how they affect You.

Quote:
But, I kept "trying" the Vyvance also. I really didn't know I was doing something illegal since my current insurance paid for both! Got red flagged and actually relieved because I did know switching back and forth couldn't be good.
It sounds to me as though you kept trying to give the Vyvance a chance, and another chance, and another chance. But when the Vyvance failed you, then you medicated with something that you knew worked well for you. You didn't fail. The drug failed. Or, at least, it just wasn't effective for you.

Quote:
Thankfully, my shrink and family Dr. got together and I have appt with both soon. They made sure I had plenty of med
It sounds like you have thoughtful, understanding folks who are willing to work with you. You are fortunate for that.

Quote:
My question is (finally) what should I do? I just want to be "normal" and I have tried newer drugs and they just don't work. Anyone had problems trying different ADD meds and not being able to tolerate the newer drugs? Please don't lecture me because I feel ashamed and guilty enough. I just want help and input.
Based upon what you've said here, I don't think you have anything to feel ashamed or guilty about. You've been making your best effort to figure out which med(s) work best for you.

I don't know what other "newer" drugs you have or haven't tried, but this might be a good time to see if one of them would work well for you. And yet, if the Dexe was/is already working well for you, then maybe you just want to stick with that. Why not?

Best of luck.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
Re: Trying to Find Newer Drug for ADD

Thank you so much! Made me feel much better and not of control as I thought. LOL. One of my worries (which, my husband says stop worrying) is that if something happened to his job or without insurance the Dex is almost 700 bucks compared to Vynance which is 170. I have been taking smaller doses of Dex this week and feel so much better.

Reply Reply