It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Need Help! - Stop Drinking

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2016, 10:44 AM   #1
david580
(male)

david580 HB User
Need Help! - Stop Drinking

Hello,

I have been drink vodka or scotch for several years every night. I consume from 3-6 drinks (4 to 10 ounces) in a 2-3 hour period. I am at the point were I have built up a tolerance that I do not drunk - it does relax me sometimes. It has become more of a habit. I will wait to my kids and wife go to sleep, turn on the tv and drink. I have tried numerous times to stop, but the urge is too great. I have tried to occupy myself with other things to do, but with no luck. In the morning i feel guilty and often throw out bottle, only to purchase more later in the day. I never drink during the daytime or have the urge. I have stopped for up to 3 weeks without drinking last august cold turkey with no side effect, however it is too the point I can get past 1 day. I want to stop and now I can. I am having trouble sleeping, anxiety, short tempered, heachaces, cramping, weigh gain, rash, bloating in my face and etc. Can drinking cause this? I do not have the insurance/money to go to a detox center. Does anybody now how to taper off? I feel going cold turkey will be bad. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I need to STOP before I lose my mind, as well as my kids and wife. PLEASE HELP!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2016, 05:51 AM   #2
stocktrader
(female)

stocktrader HB User
Re: Need Help! - Stop Drinking

I would try to taper by substituting beer for the scotch. I would try sipping on two or three beers and taper that way so withdrawal won't be as harsh. Ideally a benzo like librium would be helpful if you can get a doctor to prescribe that for home detox. Support meetings could be helpful if you want to go that route.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:11 AM   #3
stillpooh19
(female)

stillpooh19 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by david580 View Post
Hello,

I have been drink vodka or scotch for several years every night. I consume from 3-6 drinks (4 to 10 ounces) in a 2-3 hour period. I am at the point were I have built up a tolerance that I do not drunk - it does relax me sometimes. It has become more of a habit. I will wait to my kids and wife go to sleep, turn on the tv and drink. I have tried numerous times to stop, but the urge is too great. I have tried to occupy myself with other things to do, but with no luck. In the morning i feel guilty and often throw out bottle, only to purchase more later in the day. I never drink during the daytime or have the urge. I have stopped for up to 3 weeks without drinking last august cold turkey with no side effect, however it is too the point I can get past 1 day. I want to stop and now I can. I am having trouble sleeping, anxiety, short tempered, heachaces, cramping, weigh gain, rash, bloating in my face and etc. Can drinking cause this? I do not have the insurance/money to go to a detox center. Does anybody now how to taper off? I feel going cold turkey will be bad. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I need to STOP before I lose my mind, as well as my kids and wife. PLEASE HELP!

Drinking and withdrawal causes all of the above then some... I was in another forum where people try to taper off alcohol all the time, but find themselves drinking again. One person was able to do it over a period of weeks. With as much as you are drinking detox would be necessary to avoid the possibility of having severe symptoms. I detoxed at home and oh boy I don't recommend that. Check your area to see if there are state funded places you can go

Old 06-01-2016, 09:52 PM   #4
reachout
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello David

Welcome to the board. :-)

David, quite honestly, I agree with stillpooh and absolutely feel you, without a doubt, need the services of a medical detox center. Tapering off is not a very realistic idea, my friend. You are consuming a stiff amount of alcohol daily and will need some medical intervention as well as help in changing your thinking to sober thinking.

While detox itself seems hard (and it is), it is the need for after care that is even greater. The brain needs to be retrained, it needs to learn, or re-learn, coping skills for the stress in our lives. It is not just a matter of determination one day; it is a long, long process.

If you had cancer and needed treatment, you would find a way and put great effort into searching for the help. Alcoholism is no different and you must treat it as the life threatening illness that it is. Continuing with the alcohol will lead to more health issues than you can imagine. The bloating, the weight gain, anxiety, etc is just the beginning, friend.

Start today by calling your local hospitals and asking about available programs. Call detox centers and ask about payment plans. Be willing to commit the time and money into a detox center where you can truly get healthy again.... before it is too late. YOU CAN DO THIS. The first step is making the commitment of effort to work on finding a detox center that will work with you.

With all hope
reach

Reply Reply