It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

I need advice dr had me on xanax 5 mg a day then cuts me off??!!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-19-2016, 09:08 PM   #1
jennyanne812
(female)

jennyanne812 HB User
I need advice dr had me on xanax 5 mg a day then cuts me off??!!

for almost a year the SAME DR HAS BEEN GIVING ME 100 1 MG Xanax. She refills it every 3 weeks sometimes 2 weeks!!!
I have PSTD
I HAVE BEEN honest about taking extra
TODAY SHE REALIZED SHE WAS OVER PRESCRIBING ME.
AND WORRIED SHE WOULD GET FLAGGED AND CUT ME OFF!!!!!
SHE GAVE ME 600 GABA THEN I BEGGED HER FOR ANYTHING. I WAS ON MY KNEES.
SO SHE GAVE ME ON 1 MG KLONAPIN . ONLY 30
MEANING 2 A DAY
SO I WENT FROM 6 OR 7 XANAX A DAY BY THE SAME DR. WHO NOW CUTS ME OFF TO ONLY 1 MG KLONAPIN 1 TIMES A DAY IT'S NOT HELPING
IS THIS LEGAL FOR HER TO DO THIS .
I AM TERRIFIED. I WANT HELP
I BEGGED HER TO WHEEN ME OFF.
TOMORROW I AM SEEKING HELP. AND MAYBE WANT TO GO TO THE CLINIC AND TELL THEM SHE CAN'T DO THAT.
THIS IS MY LIFE.
SHE WAS PRESCRIBING ME EVERY 2 TO 3 WEEKS
I LIVE IN NJ
I MET HER AT ZERAPATH CLINIC
PLEASE MY FRIENDS I NEED HELP I BEG YOU
I AM ON MEDICAID
I JUST TOOK 2 MG OF KLONAPIN AND THEY TAKE SO LONG TO WORK OR IS IT IN MY HEAD.
I NEEEEEED HELP
THANK YOU

Last edited by mod85; 04-20-2016 at 06:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2016, 10:19 PM   #2
reachout
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: I need advice dr had me on xanax 5 mg a day then cuts me off??!!

Hi Jenny

Sorry that it has taken so long for you to get a response here on the board. I am glad to see you posting, but sorry for the circumstances of your post.

I do not know the law concerning this, but certainly know that the prescribing physician has a moral obligation to helping the patient wean from narcotics, in particular any benzo like Xanax. In my own experience it was my family physician who helped me come up with a plan to get off of opiates and Xanax, both of which I had been taking for more than ten years. He was actually the one who told me about the obligation of the physician to help the patient with the weaning process. Not sure if he was talking legal or moral, but he did fully accept the obligation.

Your doctor should be fully aware of the dangers of coming off Xanax (or any benzo). It totally and absolutely must be a very slow withdrawal. It is unconscionable to drop a patient from 6-7mg of Xanax a day to a low dose of another, less powerful drug like Klonopin.

If I were in your position, I would make one last attempt with your doctor and ask that she sit down and make a solid plan of withdrawal for you. If that fails ( and I have a feeling it will), then be prepared to seek out a doctor or clinic that will help you. Call local hospitals and explain the situation, ask for help. Call Medicaid and explain the situation and ask for help. Lastly, I would call your state medical board and file a complaint.

While doctors have been put under a lot of pressure about prescribing narcotics, rules have to be set to accommodate the patients they have been prescribing to. Probably ask the state medical board if there are any existing rules about this kind of situation in your state.

Please come back and post when you can and let us know how your are faring in this horrible situation. We care.

With hope
reach

Reply Reply