It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Pregnant tapering vs cold turkey

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-27-2016, 01:25 PM   #1
Feelingsilly
(female)

Feelingsilly HB User
Pregnant tapering vs cold turkey

I don't know who to talk to. I have already spoken work OB and physiatrist about my getting off of pain meds and the dependency I have found myself on since I have been on same regimen for over 7 years now.
I have degenerative disc disease and I'm a fitness instructor. I was placed on 2 Lortab and 3 Precocet a day. I never go over my recommended and have quit cold turkey once before.
My 2nd soon had to stay in NICU for being premature and for withdrawals. My 3rd soon had no issues even though I was on same regimen whole pregnancy. For some reason maybe my age, maybe a mother's intuition I feel scared for my fourth and final son.
I'm 20 weeks pregnant and this is week 2 of tapering. I am now down this week to just the Percocets. But I am wondering if I can just go cold turkey as the withdrawals week to week are like starting over again and again.
My doctor thinks I could be okay but worries about the baby and it going through shock and withdrawals in the womb.
The worst thing right now and every week is I feel like when your leg falls asleep and that feeling of when the blood is returning and it tickles so bad. I find myself stretching constantly just to rid myself of that feeling.
I take a soak when it gets too bad.
I know I am not taking as much as everyone else is or was and feel like such a wuss but I just want to know how long this will last and if you think it would be worth just quitting it all or stay tapering?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2016, 08:00 AM   #2
Philster2003
Senior Veteran
(male)

Philster2003 HB User
Re: Pregnant tapering vs cold turkey

Hey feelingsilly:

If your still trying to taper?
Are you still taking the 3 percs a day? What strength are they 5mg or 7.5 mg or 10mg? Tapering from 3 percs a day shouldn't be to bad, it could be as simple as reducing by half a pill every 5-7 days or so. That should be very slow and much less withdrawal symptoms. Just split the pills in half and take a 1/2 pill when you'd normally take a whole pill. So if you take them 3 times a day (every 8 hrs)
just take 1 then maybe a half then finish with a 1, do this for 5-7 days and then drop to 2 pills twice a day for 5-7 days then drop down to 1.5 pills per day and so on until you at a half pill for 5-7 days then stop, withdrawal should be very very minor if anything.

It works I know been there done that

philster

Old 06-01-2016, 10:29 PM   #3
reachout
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi Feelingsilly

Welcome to the board.

It's a tough position you are in for sure. I think the plan that Philster 2003 suggested is the path I would follow if I were in your shoes. It would certainly be easier physically on both you and the baby that going cold turkey.

I tapered off opiates myself. I won't say there is no discomfort, but certainly much less than going cold turkey. Each time I made a cut, it would take me a week-10 days to level off for the next cut. I went very slow, but you do not have the time I was afforded to complete the process.

Your Lamaze breathing knowledge will help with anxiety. Being a fitness instructor can sure be a benefit because the more we move, the quicker the leveling off. Move as much as is practical for you.

Hope to see you post again and let us know your progress.

Best wishes for you and the coming family addition!

With hope
reach

Old 06-05-2016, 05:50 AM   #4
Philster2003
Senior Veteran
(male)

Philster2003 HB User

My dearest friend Reach brings up a good point, 7-10 days before a step down is probably more friendly and eases the withdrawal symptoms vs the 5-7 days I suggested. I was always in a hurry ha.

When I tapered my biggest issue or withdrawal symptom outside of the damn "hot" flashes was Restless Legs and Restless shoulders/arms. I hated that more than anything. I did lots of mid night walks and I had a set of 10lb hand weights to try and make my arms/shoulders tired..... It's no fun but as they say "there's no gain without pain" I'm sorry to say but in the scheme of things it's all little stuff because when your free of the opiates your going to feel SO much better, and I mean SO MUCH better

I hope your in a better place we haven't heard much from you and there's a bunch of SME's (Subject Matter Experts) here that have mucho knowledge please please ask away, pick our brains, take advantage of these experts. I'll do anything to help people out of a jam or help them to avoid falling into annother situation. If I can...

Reply Reply