It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Alcohol withdrawal symptoms

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #1
marino209
(male)

marino209 HB User
Alcohol withdrawal symptoms

Hello everyone,

About myself, 30yr old male and have been drinking socially and by myself for the better part of 8 years. I would say mostly 3 beers a day and more heavily on weekends.

I have never considered myself to be addicted but I have decided to finally give my body a much needed break and focus on more important things in life.

I stopped drinking cold turkey and am currently on day 5 without a drink. Overall I feel pretty normal, no fast heartbeats or headaches, but I am a lot more sweaty than usual and have been sweating while asleep at night.

Anywho, I have been reading a lot and kind of scared myself about stopping cold turkey. Everything I read talks about seizures and possible heart troubles. I can't help but think that if I haven't had any real issues so far I should be fine right? I mean I would think that after 5 days the worst would be over?

Thank you!

The following user gives a hug of support to marino209:
Phoenix (06-24-2016)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2016, 07:27 AM   #2
Sadtosay
Veteran
(female)

Sadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB User
Re: Alcohol withdrawal symptoms

Since you haven't had a seizure by day 6, you're probably past the danger point. People who have seizures in withdrawal tend to be very serious alcoholics who have been heavily drinking for many years.

You should be fine in a few days.

Good Luck.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:05 AM   #3
marino209
(male)

marino209 HB User

[QUOTE=Sadtosay;5422753]Since you haven't had a seizure by day 6, you're probably past the danger point. People who have seizures in withdrawal tend to be very serious alcoholics who have been heavily drinking for many years.

You should be fine in a few days.

Good Luck.[/QUOTE}]

Thank you for replying and for confirming my assumptions. On day 6 and not feeling too bad at all!

Old 06-18-2016, 08:53 PM   #4
Sadtosay
Veteran
(female)

Sadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB User

It' good to evaluate your drinking habits now, before things get out of hand. I wish I'd quit earlier than I did -- which was still pretty young at 32 years old. And I have stayed off for almost 30 years now without regret.

Good luck to you.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:18 AM   #5
Kara1829

Kara1829 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino209 View Post
Hello everyone,

About myself, 30yr old male and have been drinking socially and by myself for the better part of 8 years. I would say mostly 3 beers a day and more heavily on weekends.

I have never considered myself to be addicted but I have decided to finally give my body a much needed break and focus on more important things in life.

I stopped drinking cold turkey and am currently on day 5 without a drink. Overall I feel pretty normal, no fast heartbeats or headaches, but I am a lot more sweaty than usual and have been sweating while asleep at night.

Anywho, I have been reading a lot and kind of scared myself about stopping cold turkey. Everything I read talks about seizures and possible heart troubles. I can't help but think that if I haven't had any real issues so far I should be fine right? I mean I would think that after 5 days the worst would be over?

Thank you!
The first 24-48 hours after stopping alcohol are the most dangerous for seizures, tremors, and other symptoms . Sounds like you have passed that symptom free, but I would still ask a Dr any questions you may have

Old 08-06-2016, 04:53 PM   #6
vegasac
(male)

vegasac HB User

Congrats on taking the first steps. As a recovering alcoholic, I know it's not easy but remember, stopping drinking is only step 1. Drinking isn't the issue, it's the reason why you were drinking. Alcoholism is a disease and one that needs management. It's not binary, black or white and there is no simple fix. It sounds like you are past the danger point but you definitely should see a doctor and seek out help for continued support to your recovery. Relapse is especially prevalent in the first 90 days and while can't be guaranteed against, you can at least try to mitigate it. It's going to be a lifetime struggle but with proper care and guidance, you can make it happen. I wish you the best!

Reply Reply

Tags
alcohol withdrawal, alcohol.