It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Codeine out of control

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2016, 07:21 PM   #1
xxsweetkikx
(female)

xxsweetkikx HB User
Codeine out of control

I've been taking codeine for 2 years now and have recently come to the point where I have realised that it's just totally out of control, I have finally sat down and worked out the amount that I take and spend. All in all the figures are shocking and shows that on average I spend over £400 a month on top of getting my prescription.
So for the first time ever I am reducing myself down but a week gone I am just starting to doubt whether it really is going to be that easy. I am taking strict doses only about 3-4 less than usually(but only 5 times a day) and one bigger one at night, but I'm just wondering is my body really going to start getting used to the smaller doses and make me feel well again or will I always be hanging on the verge of feeling like awful all day?
I suppose I'm just feeling scared I can't do it because I really have to I really don't have this sort of income, just I don't know has anyone done it this way before and any advice ..??

Last edited by mod85; 07-31-2016 at 07:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
Operaghost
(female)

Operaghost HB User
Re: Codeine out of control

*delete, wrote post instead of reply*

Last edited by Operaghost; 10-27-2016 at 03:14 PM.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:10 PM   #3
Operaghost
(female)

Operaghost HB User
Re: Codeine out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsweetkikx View Post
I've been taking codeine for 2 years now and have recently come to the point where I have realised that it's just totally out of control, I have finally sat down and worked out the amount that I take and spend. All in all the figures are shocking and shows that on average I spend over £400 a month on top of getting my prescription.
So for the first time ever I am reducing myself down but a week gone I am just starting to doubt whether it really is going to be that easy. I am taking strict doses only about 3-4 less than usually(but only 5 times a day) and one bigger one at night, but I'm just wondering is my body really going to start getting used to the smaller doses and make me feel well again or will I always be hanging on the verge of feeling like awful all day?
I suppose I'm just feeling scared I can't do it because I really have to I really don't have this sort of income, just I don't know has anyone done it this way before and any advice ..??
My codeine addiction stared 4 years ago as something to help me drift off to sleep. Years later, I found myself going out daily and buying a box to take before bed. It ruined relationships, my bank balance and obviously my health with me being blind and ignorant to the damage it definitely would be doing. My friends set me an ultimatum to get treatment, and today for the first time in 4 years, the seemingly impossible happened, and I've received my first dose of buprenorphine. It starts by going to your gp. They will most likely refer you onto a recovery centre that will discuss treatment with you. For me, they offered to start prescribed treatment if I managed to cut down one tablet each night for the next two weeks. It seemed simple enough until it got down to actually doing it, and I simply couldn't. I was terrified of the withdrawal symptoms that I know all too well from going cold turkey a fair few times, I knew I wouldn't be able to get my body used to cutting down one over two weeks, let alone one on the first night and then 2 on the next and so on. I was honest with my recovery worker, luckily he was understanding and didn't make me feel like I wasn't deserving of help because I wasnt trying hard enough. One thing he stressed was that the entire point is for me to get better, not to suffer and if ever I felt withdrawals or ill, I should call him or pop in any time, even before planned appointments. After that he also said that it'll be best if I start on 2 weeks on mephedrone and then take the tablets. Today, after speaking with a doctor, he told me that wouldn't have to be the case and I could start taking the buprenorphine. If you choose this option, taking codeine on top really won't have any effects, and it'll be cancelled out and basically become useless. They fill the egg cup-like receptors that the codeine binds to, ultimately filling them so that nothing else can get in, so you have the "effect" of taking codeine in terms of the right receptors being filled, but without the withdrawals or physical side effects.
Essentially, cutting down helps, but help is available to you the second you think you need it, regardless. Cutting down for me personally didn't work, even though I had the option to try it before prescription treatment, but like I say, that won't stop or delay your progress in terms of getting yourself off the tablets.
I really hope I've helped in some way. Good luck to you, and please remember you're not on your own. Reach out to your GP, tell a friend/partner/whoever you trust, that can support you throughout the process, but please do take the right step towards getting help. I was told that in 3 months time I will have finished treatment. Think about it that way, 3 months is nothing compared to 2, 3 or even 4 years of damaging your body and health, it's never too late to start. Again, all the best. X

Reply Reply