It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

How do I tell my Dr about my addiction to Diphenhydramine?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-08-2016, 07:06 AM   #1
vikixc
(female)

vikixc HB User
How do I tell my Dr about my addiction to Diphenhydramine?

Hi,

I have had sleep problems where I went nearly 2 weeks with about 4 hours sleep at one point. eventually my body just crashed out and I slept for about 48 hours and the whole sleepless cycle starts again, I have anxiety and depression since I was 17 (I am now 25) I used to cope well until I had a miscarriage in Feburary 2015, since then I have been out of work and stuggiling to get my life together again. A month or so after the miscarriage I took 8 at once just so I could not feel and sleep and never wake up. Pretty much since then I have been taking Sominex (Diphenhydramine) every single night. I am sure I am addicted to it, I love the feeling of it and how it makes my mind numb and the great drowsy feeling it induces it feels like I could sleep for days. I take 2 - 40mg pills at around 6pm and will stay awake until 9pm and sleep for 2-3 hours then wake up and take another one or 2 pills. I usually won't fall asleep again but I do try. Then I will be awake all day, groggy and tired and waiting for 6pm to come so I can take more. Just talking about it now makes me want to take one.

My Dr always outright refused to give me anything to help me sleep, I mean no help what so ever. So I just started taking over the counter sleep aids. I have an appointment with another Dr next week but I am not sure how I can tell her about it or even if I should. I know they will probably be pretty angry. I am a bit scared to be honest. Is it worth telling my Dr about it or should I just carry on I mean is it possible I can damage myself with these pills?

Last edited by vikixc; 09-08-2016 at 07:09 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2016, 04:10 AM   #2
Angelflutter
(female)

Angelflutter HB User
Re: How do I tell my Dr about my addiction to Diphenhydramine?

I would suggest telling your doctor what is up. Diphenhydramine can and will certainly kill you if you take too much. You would probably benefit from some type of counseling. You state that you had a miscarriage - but, I don't think that you have come to terms with having a miscarriage. You are apparently wanting to escape the pain of real life. If you want to have the feeling of your mind being numb and the " great drowsy feeling" - and then waiting for the time to roll around and being somewhat excited about when you can take your next dose - I would venture to say that you are both physically and mentally addicted. Ask your doctor if she knows of a place that provides free counseling services. She would probably be able to tell you better than anyone - or contact your nearest emergency room and ask them too. Sometimes a little time on a behavioral unit just to talk to a therapist can be very helpful. Reach out for any help that you can get. I wish you the best of luck. Have you ever thought of placing an add in the paper for babysitting, or taking care of a homebound adult or special needs child. Sometimes various online sites post jobs. For example ( if you need a place to live ) you can find live in nanny or live in caretakers jobs. Hey, you get a place to stay as well as a salary. A lot of nursing homes will hire on staff to train as a CNA, and sometimes they will even offer a sign on bonus. I don't know how your job situation where you are from is. If you have a vehicle - you could place an add in the paper to do grocery shopping for senior citizens. Say, take 1 or 2 days a week to line up all of your shopping clients. That leaves a couple of days a week to look for something better. Sometimes you need to create your own employment. My best friend started her own house cleaning / business cleaning service with just her car and cheap cleaning supplies that she purchased from the Dollar General Store. That was like 5 years ago..... She has soo many clients now that she has 6 or 7 others that work under her. There's always fast food places. I know that these are things that nobody really wants to do - but it does provide some kind of a financial support. I currently work in a group home for adults with mental illnesses. I have been here 15 years. When I first started - it was not my dream job - but over the years, I have grown to love it. Good Luck, honey. Try to keep a positive outlook...... I don't know your education level or background - so I thought I'd try to throw out some basic employment suggestions. But, first before anything else - take care of your problem with the diphenhydramine. Heaven knows you should not be doing any thing until then. You don't want to place others at risk due to you being numbed out.

Last edited by mod85; 09-09-2016 at 03:42 PM.

Reply Reply