It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2003, 05:36 PM   #1

badbackdavid HB User
Post Question - Taking (2) Lortab/day - Addiction?

Hello everyone,

This seems like a good place to ask this question and I certainly would appreciate an accurate answer as I have asked this same question on numerous occasions to both doctors as well as "experienced" patients and have received different answers.

OK - here goes: I have had a bad back virtually all of my life. Since I've reached my mid-30's my back has become more of an issue. Thus, I am seeing a local dr. who has given me multiple tests, MRI's, etc. as well as prescribed me everything under the sun for my chronic, nagging back pain. Of all the medicine that I have took, only hydrocodone (7.5/500) is the only medicine that my system seems to respond well to. By the way, all the tests show that nothing is wrong with my back, but my back tells me differently. The pain is seemingly a muscular tension problem. I used to take asprin, tynenol and advil with little results. Since seeing the dr., I am presently taking (2) Lortab / Hydrocodone (7.5/500) per day. One in the morning and one in the evening and have been doing this for almost a year now. My question is: Will taking (2) of these per day make me addicted? If I stopped taking them, would I experience any withdrawals? Is taking Lortab like I'm doing harmful?

Thanks for any help,

Sincerely,

badbackdave

Old 05-22-2003, 05:51 PM   #2
Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
Hi Dave...First of all if your pain is chronic I would seek out long acting meds and use the hydro for breakthrough pain. I dont think you can become addicted to 2 lortab a day but you can become physically tolerant to it which will produce mild withdrawls. I say mild as you are only taking 2 a day. The more you take a day and the stronger the Med makes the withdrawls harder and makes them hit quicker. If you have anymore questions there are very knowledgable people here. Have a good day.
Autumn.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2003, 06:19 PM   #3

badbackdavid HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Autumn Angel:
Hi Dave...First of all if your pain is chronic I would seek out long acting meds and use the hydro for breakthrough pain. I dont think you can become addicted to 2 lortab a day but you can become physically tolerant to it which will produce mild withdrawls. I say mild as you are only taking 2 a day. The more you take a day and the stronger the Med makes the withdrawls harder and makes them hit quicker. If you have anymore questions there are very knowledgable people here. Have a good day.
Autumn.
Angel,

Thanks so much for your reply. You sound like you know a thing or two about this. Thank you.

I was taking (3) per day for about a month and I felt like this dosage was "pushing my limit", so I backed off to (2) per day which seems to do the trick. I take (1) in the morning and (1) in the evening and this dosage seems to keep my back problem in check. But how long can I keep taking these things until the law of diminishing returns starts to get factored into the equation?

Thanks again,

David

Old 05-24-2003, 06:42 AM   #4

badbackdavid HB User
I was hoping to receive more than just (1) reply from everyone as this is extremely important to me. Anyone else?

Thanks so much,

David

Old 05-24-2003, 07:03 AM   #5

racingdaysRover HB User
Dave, If you can maintain 2 a day to ease your pain you should be OK, I was prescribed 4 10MG a day. If you feel like your looking foreward to taking your medication, then that is sometimes when an addiction begins. The aspirin in the pills will do more harm than the opiate, but 2 pills at 500MG a piece isn't alot. They say you should take more than 4000MG in a 24 HR period. If you have been on them for a year, you may experience a little discomfort when you stop. I would suggest weaning down to 1 a day then even 1/2 a day to take the edge off when/if you want to quit

Old 05-24-2003, 07:04 AM   #6

racingdaysRover HB User
Dave, If you can maintain 2 a day to ease your pain you should be OK, I was prescribed 4 10MG a day. If you feel like your looking foreward to taking your medication, then that is sometimes when an addiction begins. The aspirin in the pills will do more harm than the opiate, but 2 pills at 500MG a piece isn't alot. They say you should take more than 4000MG in a 24 HR period. If you have been on them for a year, you may experience a little discomfort when you stop. I would suggest weaning down to 1 a day then even 1/2 a day to take the edge off when/if you want to quit

Old 05-24-2003, 07:07 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User
Hi dave,

First of all I'm so sorry for the pain you are going thru hon. I agree with autumn about maybe becoming tolerant to it. Two a day does not seem to be too much. I take 4 a day (prescribed dosage) plus ultram for breakthru pain. If your doctor has presribed it and you absolutely need it for the pain , there should be no reason for you to stop them. Although IF YOU DECIDE to stop them , I'm sure you will experience some mild withdrawals. Not as strong tho as what some of the others on this board have been going thru. If you stop them you might want to consult with your doctor first and tell him what you are planning on doing. Perhaps he can help with something that will allow you to withdrawal with less discomfort.
Hope you have a great day hon.
Jen

Old 05-24-2003, 07:51 PM   #8

badbackdavid HB User
Racingrover / Jen,

Thanks so much for ya'lls replys. This is something that has been weighing heavily on my mind. I've been seriously considering trying to taper down to a goal of taking only a couple every week instead of my present 14 per week.

I know that my situation here sounds rather pity and miniscual as compared w/ some of the others, but like I mentioned earlier - it's very important to me.

Assuming that I am going to try to taper down to my goal, do you think that I should take 1 1/2 per day for a week or so, then take 1 per day for a week ........you get the idea. Does this sound like the "proper" way of doing it?

Thanks so much,

David

Old 05-27-2003, 09:49 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
Hi David ,how are you coming along with your withdrawing fron lortab.

I am going through this right now. I was taking 6 a day for about 2 months then went down to 3 a day for a month then 2 a day for 2 weeks then 1 aday for a week now I am in my third day without. I am starting to feel like crap.

I do have a chronic pain condition and my dr. wants me to try to see if I can go without. It did help with my pain along with the spinal cord stimulator I have implanted.

let me know how you are making out with this.

Lotsa luck
Cattys

Old 05-27-2003, 11:36 AM   #10

badbackdavid HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by cattys:
Hi David ,how are you coming along with your withdrawing fron lortab.

I am going through this right now. I was taking 6 a day for about 2 months then went down to 3 a day for a month then 2 a day for 2 weeks then 1 aday for a week now I am in my third day without. I am starting to feel like crap.

I do have a chronic pain condition and my dr. wants me to try to see if I can go without. It did help with my pain along with the spinal cord stimulator I have implanted.

let me know how you are making out with this.

Lotsa luck
Cattys
Cattys,

I have yet to start my tapering. I'm trying to collect as much info., advice, tips, etc. before beginning - because when I start, I want to see it to the end. My goal is to get down to taking only a few a week (one every couple of days or so.) This dosage level is what my Dr. told me would be a safe level.

Thanks for asking about me and I hope that you starting feeling better soon,

David

Old 05-29-2003, 05:26 PM   #11
Inactive

Dawn in NH HB User
Hi Dave -

I know you posted this over a week ago, but just read it.

You said your tests showed everything normal - did you get tested for Fibromyalgia? It's a muscular disorder that usually effects women, but men do get it occasionally.

You will need to see a rheumatologist to get the diagnosis.

Good luck - Dawn

Old 05-30-2003, 09:37 AM   #12

badbackdavid HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Dawn in NH:
Hi Dave -

I know you posted this over a week ago, but just read it.

You said your tests showed everything normal - did you get tested for Fibromyalgia? It's a muscular disorder that usually effects women, but men do get it occasionally.

You will need to see a rheumatologist to get the diagnosis.

Good luck - Dawn
Dawn,

No I haven't had a fibromyalgia test. That is something that I might need to look into - or actually suggest to the dr. so that he can look into it.

Thanks for the tip and take care,

David

Old 06-01-2003, 12:31 PM   #13
Inactive

j_f_2003 HB User
Good luck to you. I was taking 2 lortab a day (one in the morning and one in the evening) and just started cutting the morning dose in half and took the whole Lortab in the evening. That was before the dr. switched me over to roxycodone because I wasn't allowed to have tylenol anymore. This past week I have gone from 1-2 pills per day going 12-26 hours between doses. I haven't had any w/d symptoms so far but 26 hours is the longest I've gone without a pill (I took one at 8pm one night and 10pm the following night). I've changed my posture because I think it's more muscle pain now than the pain I was having before. I'm trying to go longer and longer between doses before finally stopping. Sometimes if I sleep wrong or sit wrong I'll be in pain all day taking 2-3 per day and then start the tapering all over again. Good luck to you.

[This message has been edited by j_f_2003 (edited 06-01-2003).]

Closed Thread