It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Addiction and surgery.

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2016, 02:23 PM   #1
kayla0000
(female)

kayla0000 HB User
Addiction and surgery.

I have to have hip replacement surgery and two knee replacement surgeries. I know what I am in for. Admitting my addiction previously has led to severe discrimination and nothing but abuse by the medical community. I am sorry to say this still goes on, very few medical professionals have the training they need to deal with someone in recovery or active addiction. I am very concerned about going through this process. I really do not want more information about "substance abuse" in my medical records. My thoughts are leading me to solutions that are probably not the greatest of ideas, but just wondering if there are any suggestions out there. This is my first post.

Last edited by mod85; 11-05-2016 at 09:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2016, 02:09 PM   #2
rosebuddy
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User
Re: Addiction and surgery.

Hi, I know what you mean. If I could do it over, I wouldn't have told any doctors. However...you need to be extremely careful if you are prescribed narcotic pain meds. In this case you could climb into addiction hell. I took Percocet 10/325 for 12 years. Also, A friend of mine gave his pain meds to his wife to dole out to him. But then the doctor prescribed stronger pain meds and he didn't tell her. Next thing he was buying them off the street. His wife left, he lost his job. He is a recovering alcoholic and now a recovering addict. All of this stemmed from a back injury. So take good care.

Reply Reply