It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2003, 03:58 PM   #1
Inactive

okieatheart HB User
Question Is this true???

I've read somewhere that after 6 days the physical addiction is gone from there on out its all mental. What's yall's opinion on that!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2003, 04:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

chefob1 HB User
depends exactly what drugs youve been using...hydrocodone for example..its my understanding that its in your stream for 3 days, after that its all mental...but that my freind seems to me is the hurdle that gives you the most difficulties.....once we are brain-washed into addict thinking its quite difficult to undo what we have done...for example with the obsession thing...i know in my case id spend all day,almost every minute thinking about how am i gonna get my next ten pills,money or contacting my individuals...i had a regular circus going on...one person id get the darvocetts from...that was the lowest priority...i had one connection that sold me 60 oxy's a month...one source that sold me 100 percodans a month...one source that sold me 75 lortab 10's...then what i could get from the doc...then the back-up who would get off 50 7.5 hydro's but only if they ne4eded the money...it was a ridiculous cycle that i got caught up with...then when you would try to recover one hour would go by and id be thinking obsessively all over again...then the mental havic of w/d's....and trying to be a proffesional chef and handle those responsibilities...addiction sucks..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2003, 04:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

chefob1 HB User
by the way okie....i got an ex-employee that quit on meand went back to boston and is now in a rehab up there somewhere....my girlfriend hales from gloucester and rockport too!....have a good one

Old 07-01-2003, 05:02 PM   #4
Inactive

okieatheart HB User
Talking

Hey chef,are you clean now? If so for how long? How ya feeling? Will we crave these things for the rest of our lives? I took lortab 7.5's,10's,my preffered though was oxys 5mg 30-40 a day although my add. only lasted 4-5 months at its worst.I dabbled a bit here and there in them for about 3 years but never truely(by that I mean I never had w/ds) got addicted until 4-5 months ago....(was that redundant?) My add. grew VERY RAPIDLY!!
Thanks for everything!
PS Glouster is about 15-20min from me!
Ask her if she knows about Peabody or North Andover?!

Old 07-01-2003, 05:30 PM   #5
(female)

joanharvest HB User
To Okieatheart
Congrats on hanging in there. I'm the mom with the son 5 weeks off oxycontin. He was so miserable when he was using. I think it's that misery that keeps him from ever wanting to do them again. He smashed a hole in his wall four feet by three feet just before he detoxed. We took a picture of it and he keeps it in his wallet. He looks at it when he needs to remember his pain- something he never wants to go through again. Now he is back to fishing - his passion -. He was first mate on a charter boat for the first time in a long time and had the time of his life doing what he loves best and couldn't do when he used. We live on the Cape , not too far from you, where the fishing is great. Just remember all the things you used to like to do and know that you can now have the freedom to do them again. I am happy you have your Mom for support. Give her a big hug tonite. I so enjoy the hugs I get now ,all the time, from my son that I didn't get five weeks ago. When I look in his eyes and see the clarity that wasn't there before I thank The One Above.

[This message has been edited by joanharvest (edited 07-01-2003).]

Old 07-01-2003, 05:34 PM   #6
Veteran

timsworld73 HB User
In my opinion it depends on what you mean by physical addiction. As someone that runs a Clinical Laboratory, it takes approx. a week to 10 days(depending on what opiate, some longer) to show up as a negative screen...meaning there is no longer detectable amounts of the medication in your system. BUT that is different from the half-life of the medication...meaning how long it works. so lets says you have been an opiate addict for 2 years. In those 2 years you have suppressed certain chemicals in the brain, changes the physiology of the brain, and supplemented certain things the brain is supposed to do on its own. Do we really expect after 2 years of suppressing and changing things in our body for it to be "normal again in a week? I mean the worst part of detoxing might last a week, but we cant expect to feel great overnight. And then there is the whole other side which is the mental part...cravings. they can take longer than the physical. But I have come to the conclusion that one has to be patient and your body can do amazing things. It might need help with anti-depressenrs and such, but it still amazing. IMO anyway.

Old 07-01-2003, 05:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

chefob1 HB User
peabody is next to beverly where her sister lives...i am ashamed to say i have been an addict since 1984...i started with a percocet and it felt great and i was hooked on opiates ever since...im 43 and started smoking pot when i was 14....i o.d. in 9th grade on tuinals i took from my dad...went thru alot of illness with my family when i was young and i ran from my problems by using drugs.ive tried everything on the planet...put lsd 25 in my eye...did pcp, i mean everything...quit when my dad died,went trhu college and became a certified chef...worked for the best chefs in michigan and then got hooked on heroin in 1984...a cook told me to try snortin this **** and i did and became hooked after 6 mos.....i was stupid,then went on methadone and after terrible w/d's i said id never do that **** again...was pretty clean....got married in 1989 after my sister died of a tumor in the brain...i dont think i greived properly or somethin....was a executive chef at the finest golf course/country clubs in daytona beach area,had a family,two girls,ex-wife is a court reporter...then i hurt my back...got run over by a golf cart of all things and was givin pain meds....woo-lah....started with 4 vike 5mg. a day which turned into a 30 - 40 lortab 10 a day habit which grew into whatever i could get off the streets...perc's,oxy's whatever...hid it from my wife real good...then my mom died and i used even more....finally my world fell apart...i met a guy who sold heroin...it was cheaper than buying pills....mistako....its sad to say but i cold turkied off the smack because he got killed...someone robbed him for his dope...another addict...anyways found out about buprenex(suboxone)over the internet..paid 1500 to get into outpatient program...was on that stuff for the last 4 years but if i ran out early id go get 10 perk's or whatever from my numerous sources....wife kicked me out...was homeless...then recovered...got a great chef job but my best friend..my kids godfather,my best man at my wedding...i hired him..he new i had a weakness,fed me vikes and xanax....i lost my job...but met my now girlfriend whos mom o.d. and died up there in boston...shes helping me out...we bought a restaurant here in fla. and i just met a doc who was an addict and is helping me out...put me back on the methadone 40mg a day and i aint touchin nothin else and following his directions to quit this stuff once and for all.i pray to god ...sorry to ramble...

Old 07-01-2003, 05:55 PM   #8
Inactive

okieatheart HB User
CHEF!!!!! YOU ARE NOT RAMBLIN!!!!!! I really,really appreciate that you shared that w/ me! My GOSH!!! I feel like a real wiener now! I just pray that I can be strong enough to never get caught up in this hell again! When I hear stories about how some people have been caught up for years and decades it really pushes me to take a look at myself and say "hey chickie,if ya don't stop now,that's gonna be you posting 10+ years from now. (please don't take any offense,I absolutely am NOT judging you) I think the real facts about "addiction" is scary!

Old 07-01-2003, 05:56 PM   #9
Inactive

okieatheart HB User
CHEF!!!!! YOU ARE NOT RAMBLIN!!!!!! I really,really appreciate that you shared that w/ me! My GOSH!!! I feel like a real wiener now! I just pray that I can be strong enough to never get caught up in this hell again! When I hear stories about how some people have been caught up for years and decades it really pushes me to take a look at myself and say "hey chickie,if ya don't stop now,that's gonna be you posting 10+ years from now. (please don't take any offense,I absolutely am NOT judging you) I think the real facts about "addiction" is scary!

Old 07-01-2003, 06:27 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

chefob1 HB User
through all the drugs...and the guilt...i mean i ruined some lives along the way....thank god my girlfriend has hung around thru the last two years of me trying to recover...otherwise,id be homeless again...and the funny thing about it is that i have like 80 gold,silver,bronze medals,been to the white house courtesy of the executive chef...carve beautiful ice carvings,can blow sugar like people blow artistic glass,carve chocolate....i am a darn good chef...however.i ruined my reputation in this area cause of my pill usage...evryone knows the chef is a druggie....i have alot of culinary accomplishments but my addiction ran my life and instead of me being a chef dabblin in drugs, i was an and am a addict dabblin in cookin...drugs have really screwed up my whole life and at 43 i pray that i can get strait and live the rest of my life sober and be happy...i miss my girls,they will be 9 and 11 next week....i built a 300,000 home that i lived in for one week before my ex kicked me out... i mean youd think i would have learned my lesson...i should be dead with all the drugs ive done...god must have a master plan for me cause i always thought they broke the addiction mold when they made me but i know that there are others out there and because i work from 6am till after 9 everyday this works for me since i cant hit meetings...the 12 steppers...they say that it does work...i could type forever but each time i type a little it makes me feel like the load got a tiny bit smaller off my back....you agree?

Old 07-01-2003, 07:15 PM   #11
Inactive

okieatheart HB User
Oh my I agree! Addiction is something that lives so deep within us and hides so much.The feeling of thinking everyone or mostly everyone else is "normal" and hiding so much! It becomes difficult at times to even look people in the eye and wonder "if they know" etc. That is why I love this board because I can releive some of the pressure and hidden guilt that have been building up. I have heard if you don't than you will continue to go through the abuse cycle. If someone doesn't want to hear my story,than fine....go to the next thread but if YOU CHEF can help one person (like me) stop this addiction NOW and not later,than please do,if getting rid of some of the built-up stuff in you helps YOU,then by all F!(#&$^ means PLEASE DO!!!!!!!
You sound like a great guy and I hope you and your girlfriend can make it through this time.....and always try to make amends with those beautiful girls of yours.They are young and that relationship is very salvagable! Chef,my dad was never there for me either,he smoked pot all the time and sexually abused me for 15 years! Now,that is not salvagable!
You sound like you mean it this time!! Be good;-)

PS Boxford!!! Ask your girlfriend!!

Old 07-01-2003, 08:16 PM   #12
Inactive

FWCadeFoster HB User
well tim is indeed on the mark. Protracted symptoms can last for years or the rest of your life even. Not so much the drug but the person. For some reason my brain does not want to heal it self which leads me back into using. People OVER USE the word mental. Cravings are mental, depression, anxiety, pain "post" drug use, that is all physical. Your body needs to chemically adjust, detox isn't like an exorsism where they are casting the drug back to hell. LOL

Closed Thread