It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2003, 01:15 PM   #1

eeyore714 HB User
Question Subutex/Suboxone

I am interested in hearing if anyone has had a bad reaction to using Subutex/Suboxone. I've been addicted to painkillers for years, and have tried many times to stay in recovery. i can usually pull together a few months, but always relapse. i decided to seek out the buprenorphine treatment to see if it would work for me. i used for the last time on Monday night, and then on Tuesday morning I saw an addictionologist who said he would at least get me through withdrawals with the buprenorphine, and then we'd see if i needed to stay on it as a recovery measure. so he prescribed three days on Subutex, and then a week on Suboxone. For the first day, Tuesday, I was suppossed to take a total of 4 pills, or 6 if I felt I needed it. I took the four pills, (each 2 mg), they are the sublingual type and tasted nasty! Anyhow, I didn't really feel anything. Some people report feeling a sense of opiate euphoria or well-being. I didn't get that, but I also wasn't starting to feel withdrawals so that was good. but by around 8:30 last night, which was about 3 hours after I had taken the pills, I was sick sick sick. I was throwing up and had a migraine level headache and just felt awful. It was a very different type of sickness than my usual withdrawals, so again, i don't think i was going into withdrawals, but i felt terrible.

i went to bed, and this morning actually woke up late, still feeling yucky and all kind of hung-over too. i was suppossed to take more of the suprenex this morning, actually 4 pills this morning and 4 this evening, but i felt so terrible i didn't take anything this morning and only took 2 later in the afternoon hoping maybe it would make me feel better. (how's that for addict-thinking...!)

I had heard so many good things about buprenorphine in terms of detoxing and staying clean, and i'm disappointed that I feel SOOO badly physically. So I wanted to know if anyone else had a similiar experience, or alternately, whatever your experience might have been when you first used buprenophine. I'm just frustrated because I had hoped that this would help, and don't know if I should give up, or if it might get better.
thanks for anyone's information and advice!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2003, 01:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefortoday HB User
If you don't take the Suboxone correctly (let it dissolve under the tongue), the Naltroxone (sp?) will kick in and make you sick, from what I understand. Call you doctor and tell him what you're feeling and maybe he can help you.

Good luck!

Old 07-30-2003, 01:29 PM   #3

eeyore714 HB User
At this point, I was only taking the Subutex, which doesn't have the naltrexone. After the three days on the Subutex, according to the doctor's plan, I was supposed to start the Suboxone, which does have the naltrexone. I know, I should definitely call the doctor, but again, addict thinking being what it is, I feel like maybe I deserve some suffering and I'm just being a baby! And maybe I feel badly because I was looking forward to using the buprenophrine, again since I had heard that so many other's had good experiences, and now I feel guilty for wanting it especially since it isn't working well.
Well, it's no fun being an addict but at least we all know that we are never alone and there are many out there like us who understand. My boyfriend can't understand AT ALL wanting to use drugs and not being able to stop despite all the negative consequences...and I think he's the crazy one for not wanting to use painkillers!

Old 07-30-2003, 01:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefortoday HB User
Eeeyore . . . sorry I can't help you much. My husband went straight to the Suboxone and has felt great ever since. I know you addicts like self-medicating and not involving the doctor, but really, you don't have to feel bad . . . give him a call! He may need to up your dosage. The first 10 days my husband took the Suboxone his addictionologist wanted him to call him in the morning and evening to let him know how he was doing and they adjusted the dosage from there.

Good luck to you!

Old 07-30-2003, 01:56 PM   #5

chrisby HB User
What were you taking and how much? It could also be your taken to much. A lot of doctors don't know much about this med yet and pescribe to much. My doctor has been using it for 15 years (at least thats what she says.) I was on meth for 2 years and was down to 25mgs but couldn't seem to get any lower. The first 3 days I had to go to her office and get injections 1 at a time. every 45 minutes. Then they took my blood pressure and asked me how I felt and if I wanted another. The 1st day I took 2 felt fine till night and felt withdrawls. day 2 got 3 and day3 got 3. The first week was tough because it takes time to get in your system. But when I finaly adjusted to it. I only needed 3mg sl a day.
Chrisby

Old 07-30-2003, 04:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User
if it were me,i would ask the dr. to put me on the suboxone immediately.it will be all you need i think but i'm not a dr.the straight form may be to strong i dont knoe i have never took the buprenex just the suboxone,also you cannott swallow any of the medication as it will make you veryvery sick.it has to dissolve under the tongue.how long were you giving the pill to dissolve?sometimes it can take as long as twenty to thirty minutes to completely dissolve.it helps to break the pill in half for it to dissolve let us know how you are doing ok

Old 08-01-2003, 10:04 AM   #7

MScontin HB User
Eeyore714-
O.K., here's the scoop as far as my experience, which is very similar to Chrisby's. I came off 35mg's of meth straight to subUTEX. See, even the pure form is a partial antagonist, thus will bring on w/d's in some cases. Also, people are all different, but in my experience the naltraxone in suboxone does nothing if completly dissolved under toungue. Also I have used 3 times in the 4 months I've been on it(8mg/day), and I got just as high as I felt like
My use was not brought on by craving's, but because I have severe physical pain(no justification, I screwed up!!) and gave in. No matter what, it's hard unfortuanatly. I also have gone a day w/ out, and had no W/D's, and you will have all the yucky feelings subside soon. Hope I helped a little,
A.C.
I got it-eeyore the donkey from pooh? I used to know smeone that was called that(he used so much, he was as slow as eeyore!!!) I may be 27, but I know what a 714 is!

Old 08-01-2003, 11:38 AM   #8

eeyore714 HB User
Thanks everyone for your advice, help, sharing. I did talk to my doctor yesterday, he wasn't very concerned about the sickness, and i do feel much better today (friday). The great thing is that I also do not have a great desire to go out and get more pills...i was thinking about it today and it struck me that usually my mind is racing about how i could get drugs that day...and for the past couple of days it hasn't been. so maybe the buprenophrine is doing its thing in terms of keeping those receptor sites occupied so that my cravings and obsessions are more manageable.

i am supposed to start the suboxone today-so i'll be switching from the pure form of buprenorphine to the one combined with naltrexone. that's interesting that some people have been able to use on naltrexone and still get the effects...hopefully i can resist testing that out.

mscontin...yep, eeyore is the donkey in winnie-the-pooh...always been my nickname because i can be *rather* self-deprecating, sarcastic and self-centered, like eeyore was in the books. but 714 is actually a reference to my birthday...so i'm dying to know what your idea of 714 is...feel like i'm missing out on a joke here!

Old 08-01-2003, 11:57 AM   #9

MScontin HB User
You jokin'?? 714 is what was on a quaalude!! On top it said Lemmon, and 714 on the bottom. Never tried one, but have used the "bootleg" version of them made by the pagen's or some bike gang. You know what.....In ref to my b-day, it's 716!! So a belated happy b-day to ya!!
A.C.
If you don't mind, where are you from??(state)

Old 08-01-2003, 12:47 PM   #10

eeyore714 HB User
Nope, definitely wasn't joking! i've never even seen a qualude...the funny thing is that aside from narcotices (which I could probably educate some doctors on!) i know very little about drugs. I've never had any interest in trying anything except for the narcotics. In my mind, when you have narcotics, you don't NEED anything else! oh i hope I can get that outta my head.
happy belated birthday too mscontin. Cancer is a great sign...i'm not all that into that stuff but i do get a kick out of reading up on the horoscopes and being *surprised* on how "just like me!" they are.
i live in virginia...scary commonwealth of a state with strict laws on everything, including drugs! i don't know if any of you are familiar with the stories of the snipers who were killing people at random in Virginia/DC/Maryland this fall...well, my judge for my prescription fraud cases is the same judge for Malvo...the younger sniper. Just a little bit of trivia and evidence that my drug use put me in "six degrees of seperation" with some strange people.

Old 08-01-2003, 02:13 PM   #11

chrisby HB User
Oh yeah I remember the sniper. I'm from Md. What ever happened to them. it was a father and son right.
Suboxone is definatly the best way to live a normal life until you can get out of the habit of pill thinking if you know what I mean. I have been on it for 6 months. Had 3 slips (relapes) And the last one I got caught forging a script. Luckily my doctor let it go and told me if I did again she would call the police. "phew" I also reinjured my back last week which started me on this narcotic hell ride.
Chrisby

Old 08-02-2003, 03:09 PM   #12

MScontin HB User
Chrisby- I have been on for almost 5 months, and had 3 slips, all due to pain(damnit if that methadone didn't f--k me 4 life!!!)3 times 300mg's once and 450-500 the other 2. MScontin ofcourse 100's. But I didn't get sick, I had no rebound affect, to me it seemed to work w/ the suboxone?? Who know's w/ that much?? THE ONLY thing about meth that was better..... it "masked" most all my pain and I could take 500mg's of morphine and nothing happened....that got old so I just took my meds a prescribed and smoked-fo nasua among other's.
It seems as if this drug(bup), would actually be better for pain mgt, if something else is added...you wouldn't get sick if you weren't in pain you would have to fear w/d's becuase of a legit problem?? Maybe I'm in space,.....yep ..there I am!!
Easin' on down...just thought's??
Eeyore- How bad are the marajuana law's? I personally would never live in a city !! I wish you all the luck in your case, that really sucks. If it had been any other dr, I'd have that charge. Used to call my old man's dr and act like him on the phone(got 60 l-tab 10's w/ fill)got gready called again...they figured something was up, and the doc was my pediatrician!!! That's tough for me to put out. God once again shined his light down so so brightly.
Have a great week end!
A.C.

Old 08-02-2003, 03:25 PM   #13
Inactive

Percokitty HB User
Hi,
It's informative to hear others experiences with suboxone that shows that you can get sick from taking it and that not everyone can go straight from opiates to suboxone. I mean, I'm not happy that you've gotten sick - just that there are more realistic expectations provided.

Chrisby/MS when you say you slipped while taking the suboxone - did you feel anything (high?) from the slip .. because the suboxone is supposed to fill your receptors at the opiate sites and "block' the affects if you slip by taking your DOC, etc. Did you feel anything when you slipped???

Thanks and take care,

Kitty

Old 08-02-2003, 05:38 PM   #14

chrisby HB User
Kitty naltraoxne doesn't stay in your system that long as far as I know it is put in there to keep people from shooting it up. But when I have slipped I usally stop taking it for as long as I can handle and then not go back on it until I am out of what ever I had. (addict thinking you know) The buprenex does block the high a little, for a while until its gets out of your receptors. unless you take a real lot. It bascily becomes a fight for your receptors. Suboxone in my opinion is a better maint drug than meth because your really feel more like your self. meth made me feel numb from the world but it is better for pain.
I don't think its a cure all because I still miss the buzz. I really wish I didn't and don't know is ever wont.
Chrisby

[This message has been edited by chrisby (edited 08-02-2003).]

Old 08-02-2003, 08:59 PM   #15

MScontin HB User
I 100% agrre w/ chrisby, Also unfortunatly if I take my DOC , my screen name, at the dose I used to....I got blasted all 3 x's. Weird though, I didn't care I didn't have more. I felt a twang of guilt, but I was?
I know that when I slipped, I got just as f--'ed up as would anytime(but on meth!)My life is soo much better, having to stand in line to wait even 1 to 2x's a week,in line w/ people were high, sellin' sh--, non stop talk about illicit use of drugs. I HAD TO GET OUT!!!. luckily I found a way because I was as scared of getting off the meth, more so than the pills scared me!! The suboxone has been a treat, and kinda got me "unstuck" even though I really don't do alot(damn I gotta move!!)I can get them little fu--'s, but I choose not to(the 100's are like five to ten bucks, so it's not financial either. I believe it is the part that your receptor does take the drugs that get's rid of the seeking behavior?? I'm happy so it's good!
A.C.

[This message has been edited by MScontin (edited 08-03-2003).]

Closed Thread