It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2003, 11:53 AM   #1

Creeky HB User
Post Please Help Me With This Addiction!

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the board, but I have been reading your posts for awhile now. I feel so much better knowing that you guys can relate to what I am going through.

I need everyone's help......PLEASE!

I have been addicted to Percocet for almost 2 years. I take about 6-8 10mgs pills a day. I am finally at the point, that I can't function without them. I started taking them for an injury that I substained from a accident which caused me severe back pain. I still have back pain, but not as bad as it was in the beginning. I have had several steroid injections that I have actually helped me as far as the pain is concerned. I now take them just to function because my body craves them. The funny thing is, they don't get me high anymore, so why do I continue to take them? I refuse to take more then 8 pills a day, so I do have that much under control. I am sure if I took more pills, I would get the good feeling I use to get from them, but I won't!

I am so sick and tired of these pills cosumming my everyday thoughts. I am so tired of looking at the clock waiting for my next dose, and I am really tired of running out early. I am just tired, tired, tired!

These pills have killed my sex life, and is now taking a toal on my 18 year marriage. Please I need your help, I need to know how to stop this vicious cycle that I am in.

When my doctor perscribed me the pain medication, I told him that I was afraid to take them because I knew that I would become addicted to them. He then gave me a choice to make, it was either be addicted or be in pain, so I chose to be addicted instead of being in pain.

I started out with the lowest form of Vicodin, to the highest. Then I went to Lorecet which finally stopped working and I was taking a very high dosage. I guess since the Lorecet has a lot of tylenol in it, and because of the amount that I was taking, my doctor took me off of them and put me on Percocet. He started me on the lowest dose which I believe was 5 mg, and I quickly built a tolerance to them, and started taking double of what I was suppose to. That is when he put me on the Percocet 10mg.

I am so scared to go through withdrawl, because of the one time I ran out early. I ran out early one month and I went crazy. I was so irritable, cranky and I became a mad women. I had these very strange episodes where my heart was pounding so hard, that I felt like I was dying, it was a really weird and scary feeling. So,I finally went to the doctors and told him that I had ran out of my meds early. Since I had never ran out early before, he gave me another script. Since that time, I now run out early every month, but can't ask my doctor, because then he will know that I am an addict.

Every time I get a new script, I swear that I will do better this time, yeah right! I run out early all the time, and for some odd reason, I don't worry about it until my bottle is almost empty! I have tried several times to let my husband hold and monitor them, but he just gives in, because I go beserk on him, and then I do the thing that most guys hate with a passion, I withhold sex from him. I know what I am doing is so wrong, but I just can't seem to stop!

I have become a manipulative, lying and deceitful person, and that is so unlike me. I hate the person that I have become. These dam pills are destroying my life, but for some stupid reason, I just can't seem to give them up.

This is what this addiction has done to me: It has killed my sex drive, and when I do have sex, it takes FOREVER to have a orgasm, my hand always feel hot, (not sure why that is), I have gained weight, I have isolated myself from friends and family, my hands and feet are always swelled and I have been smoking almost 2 packs of cigarrettes a day, which I use to only smoke a half of pack! My biggest complaint is, I went from sleeping 8-10 hours a day before any pain medication, to 3-4 if I am lucky. Is it possible that the percocet is causing my insommia? I hate the thought of sleeping, and I hate night time! I don't know if the percocet is contributing to this, or if this is just something that just happened, what do you guys think?

Please help me or tell me what to do. I am so ready to quit, but I am so scared of the withdrawls. I need to know what has helped some of you, and what I can expect as time goes by. If I do this, which is what I really need and want to do, could I come here and get support and encouragement from you guys?

I would be very grateful for any help and advice that I could get from all of you wonderful people. There is nothing better then getting advice from a group of people that have gone through this. The reason why I say this is, because I have told a few selected friends what I am going through, and they just say, "what is the big deal, just stop taking them." What they don't understand is, if I do just stop taking them, I will go through withdawls, and get very sick which I guess I have to be prepared for.

I need your help as soon as possible because, I am suppose to be going to my doctor this week for a refill, and my doctor has been wanting to put me on Oxy Contin with percocet as break through for some time now. He has wanted to do this for the last 6 months or so, but to be honest, I am scared of the Oxy Contin, because I know how I am, and what I am capable of doing. I think it would be easier to get off the percocet then the Oxy Contins....or am I wrong? I have always heard that if and when you get off of Oxy Contin, you need to go to detox for that vs. the percocet.

Anyway, I am ready to do this, but I need each and everyone of you to help and support me, I don't think I can get through this alone. I know that this is a lot for me to ask of you, but I am desperate to beat this addiction, and if it takes begging a bunch of strangers to help me with this, then oh well.

I am hoping that you guys answer all of my questions, and give me some ideas as to what to and what not to do, to get me through one of the most difficult times that I will have ever had to deal with in my entire life? I would also like to know who was successful in quitting this awful addiction. I want my life back, and I will do what I have to do, in order to get it back. I will not let these pills continue to control my life, and take everything that was good, and turn it upside down!

PLEASE HELP ME,.........PLEASE!

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Take Care, & God Bless,
~Creeky

[This message has been edited by Creeky (edited 08-10-2003).]
~July 2002: EMG
~March 2003: Discogram
~April 2003: Transforamital Injection
~May 2003: Intra-Discal Injection
~May 2003: Second opinion Doctor said only ADR is my only option.
~May 2003: Postponed Nucleoplasty.
~June 2003: Went to Doctor for severe Depression.
~June 2003 - Present: Taking one day at a time. Learning to adapt to a new way of life.

The following user gives a hug of support to Creeky:
RobbyT (01-25-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2003, 02:46 PM   #2

ice skater HB User
Talking

Creeky, I can tell you I was addicted to vicoden for only 1 year after a car accident. What I did was to taper to a lower dose. Ex: I was on 750 mg and went down to 500 mg and then to darvocet. It worked for me and maybe you could suggest it to your doc. Best of luck, take care!!

------------------
kate

Old 08-10-2003, 03:55 PM   #3
Veteran

verylucky HB User
Creeky,
Whatever you do, DO NOT START TAKING THE OXYCONTIN. It is the same medicine as the percocet (oxycodone) but it is released into the system in an entirely different manner that makes it nearly impossible to stop once you start.

As far as quitting the percocet, the first thing you need to do is get detoxed. There are several ways you can do that. One is to come clean with your doctor and then devise some sort of taper schedule with his help (there is a fella on here that goes by "philster" who really knows his stuff about tapering... you may want to ask for his thoughts if you decide to go that route).

The tapering thing works for a lot of people. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of them and I had to be detoxed (more than once) at inpatient facilities. When I would get to the 3rd or 4th day, I would say to heck with it and go get some pills if I wasn't locked down somewhere.

Some people will say that going cold turkey is the way to go. All I can say to that is that I have rarely seen it work. The withdrawals are just simply more powerful than most people -- I've lifted weights and involved in athletics most of my life and always viewed myself as somewhat of a bad*ss but I was no match for the withdrawals. So, in my experience, your only two realistic options are tapering or an inpatient medical detox.

The big question is what you do after you detox because you are going to have cravings and obsess over the drugs even if your body is no longer crying out for the drugs. AA and NA have worked best for me and I have seen more people stay clean thru the AA program of recover than any other means. However, I realize that AA is not for everybody (at least they don't think it is at first) but you have to connect, and stay connected, with people in recovery.

Best of luck and let us know if you have any more questions.

verylucky

Old 08-10-2003, 04:17 PM   #4
(female)

cetiya HB User
Absolutely, stay away from Oxycontin. I am addicted to it and am miserable. I take 80 mg a day, have never abused it or taken more than I should, but I am still addicted. I will be going into inhouse detox, probably, or I will do it at home, not sure yet. My problem is I have a very old cat who can not be left alone for a week, even with someone checking on him once a day so I may do this at home.
The detox I checked into does use benzos to help with the withdrawals but they only keep me 7 days and then I'll go home to suffer the rest alone. Hopefully the worst will be over by then and I'll be ok sorta.
If you can, and have insurance, find a detox that will offer you sedation, not just clonidine.
You will know when it is time to act, when you are truly sick and tired of it all and ready to quit. I'm sure your life will be better after all is done. it will be a tough few weeks but life sucks now as it is, so why not try to make it better? Many people on this board are going thru exactly what you are and it is helpful to know you are not alone.

------------------
Never forget the fallen heros of 9-11

Old 08-10-2003, 05:33 PM   #5

Hope_Abounds HB User
Creeky,

I was addicted to Xanax.I can relate to your feelings.

Please, post, and I will lend all teh knowledge I have concering withdrawal from the chemical.

Good Luck..There Are Folks Here for You!!!!!!!!!

Hope

Old 08-10-2003, 08:13 PM   #6
Inactive

okieatheart HB User
Talking

Well, I am really glad you found this site!! It is sooooo wonderful and we are all here for ya everystep of the way...you should definitely try to taper but if not YOU CAN AND WILL LIVE through the w/d's.I agree 100% DO NOT TAKE THE OXYCONTIN!!!!!!!!!!! NO,NO,NO 1000's times NO!
I am one that stopped C/T a month and a half ago and I'm still alive and kicking so much better! I think you have alot of willpower and inner strength going for you because you stayed within your set limits on the percs and ssaid no to Oxy's for 6 months!! OMG!! That is HUGE!!! I was doing the funky cole madina dance when the doc offered them to me!! Please keep us posted and let us know how your doing! Post alot because it really helps! Take Care!
Okie

Old 08-10-2003, 09:22 PM   #7

bellgirl HB User
Newbie --

I am 28 days clean from a vicodin addiction that lasted over two years. Even though it was "only" vicodin and not as strong as the percocet, I was taking as many as 18 pills per day and was completely terrified and miserable. Just like you, each time I got a prescription I would tell myself I would "do better" and wean myself off once and for all. Unfortunately, and there's no getting around this, the addiction is bigger than we are, and we need outside help in some form if we are to get clean. I believe your first step in helping yourself is to speak to someone, anyone, about what first steps you might take to overcome your addition. There are various options. You are not alone, you are not to blame, and you CAN get yourself well. Please don't feel it's hopeless. You do need to decide to take the first step toward recovery, however. From tiny steps come bigger ones, etc. It's not easy, but I have faith you can do it.

Here's what happened to me. About a month ago I went to my regular doctor (I had a few doctors prescribing the meds for me since one would never prescribe enough to support my habit) to tell him yet another b.s. story about how much my back hurt and how I needed another prescription. He started asking about the pain and I blurted out, "My problem is not my back pain. My problem is that I take too much vidodin."

The moment it came out of my mouth, I was overcome with panic that I'd blown my cover -- I couldn't believe how "stupid" I was for opening my mouth. After all, confessing meant the first step toward not taking pills, and that was terrifying. At the same time though, I felt the biggest sense of relief I'd felt in two years. He put me on a schedule of gradual tapering from the vicodin and encouraged me to tell my husband. Let me tell you, I was so frightened to tell my husband about my addiction. I assumed he would be furious and not understanding at all. I don't know your situation, of course, but I learned to my great relief that my spouse had much more room for understanding than I ever would have given him credit for. Anyway, it will be for you to decide whether to tell your spouse right away or not. Perhaps he already knows about the problem?? Anyway...

A friend who is a substance abuse therapist suggested that tapering is sometimes not the easiest way to go and he told me that there are doctors who specialize in helping you detox without checking in to a facility. Inpatient detox was not an option for me because I have young kids. I saw one of these doctors (I'll bet there's at least one in your area) and he was extremely compassionate. He also told me I had to stop the vicodin immediately and he gave me several prescriptions to get me through the withdrawal. One was a chlonodine patch, to combat cravings, anxiety and jitters. The other main prescription was pheno-barbital, which makes you kind of like a zombie but prevents intense withdrawal cravings. He also gave me a sleep aid, another prescription to prevent seizures (which can occur when one detoxes, although I believe it's rare), another for nausea/vomiting and another for diarrhea. I spent 3 days in a fog, but then I realized I didn't need as much of the medicine as prescribed, so with the doctor's approval I cut back on a lot of it. Within ten days I was over 95% of the physical withdrawal. I didn't even need most of the medicine -- I had them on hand "just in case."

The main point is that, after two years, I had overcome the physical withdrawal within less than two weeks. You can do it too -- I have faith in you because one short month ago I felt completely hopeless and now things are under control. I'm still taking it one day at a time -- it's not a piece of cake -- but anything beats the madness of addiction.

In addition to all of this "medical" stuff, I went to an AA meeting right after I confessed to my doctor, just so I could encounter others who had overcome addition. I was surprised and relieved to find many others who had had problems with narcotic pills, not just alcohol. I never though I'd wind up at one of these meetings -- it just wasn't "me", but it's one of the best things I've ever done. The environment is extremely supportive and understanding. You are not alone in your suffering and the people there will help you see this and help you if and when your cravings continue. You may or may not decide staying with their program is right for you -- I still don't know for myself but I'm exploring it -- but in the short-term I think you'll find it helpful. No one has to know you're attending the meeting.

I still have feelings -- psychological and emotional -- of wanting to take vicodin and I imagine it will take awhile for those feelings to go away completely, but I am in so much better a place than I was a month ago that I thought it was important for you to know my story. A month from now, you can be in a much different place than you're in now. I wish you all the best and I hope to learn about your progress.
- Bellgirl

Old 08-11-2003, 12:18 AM   #8
Veteran

verylucky HB User
Bellgirl,
Thanks for sharing. You do a great job of articulating what you have gone thru. Please continue to share.

I hope you stay connected with AA/NA because there really are a lot of wonderful people in the program. Working the steps is really scary but it will be one of the most rewarding things you ever do if you decide it is the route you want to take.

I wish you the best.
verylucky

Old 08-11-2003, 04:51 AM   #9

banjoboy HB User
Question

Creeky,

I think you have the best advice already, face the problem now and get off these evil preparations.

I went through a similar experience 18 months ago and I can assure you you won't die and if you get the right additional medication the withdrawal is manageable and for me was only bad for about 5 days.

One point I would stress is that when you are through there is a gap left in your life. This is not just for the physical pain relief but also the psychological need for a "fix".

I fortunately had the luxury of inpatient stay in a private psychiatric clinic (I was admitted for a totally diffrerent reason but they saw my scripts and knew I was in trouble).

That clinic also had an addiction unit dealing with everything from heroin to shoplifting, even chocolate addictions so I was enrolled on their program as well. I had no choice but to "cold turkey" (that or walk out, which would probably not have been allowed) but with several medications to ease the withdrawal I agreed.

Their program relies heavily on the 12 step approach and the objective is to have completed (??) steps 4/5 before leaving. Their program takes 28 days so you can see that a week of detox is only the start, the rest is learning to cope with the psychological effects rather than the physical dependence.

I mention all this because AA/NA and the 12 step programme can "fill the void" for a lot of people.

I can only recommend it as an "approach" because I don't read the "black book" or attend many meetings these days but when I get complacent I go back and remind myself where I started from. More important is that when I need to then I know where to find people who will listen without criticising and who can give sound empirical advice.

I need opioid medication for neuritic problems and fought for a year without but now am back on them but I keep them for when I really need, not when I might want them. In addition my Doctor keeps a very close watch and changes the choice of medication regularly (that is the one thing I blame the profession for, leaving me unchecked on automatic repeat prescriptions for so long until I ended up in a mess!).

I also research and am not afraid to tell them when I think they are not giving me the best treatment.

I hope that helps, stick in there and the results are worth it - take my word for it.

BTW my dependency problems started with post-operative medication after a back problem, only "post-operative" in this case lasted 10 YEARS! How many times have we heard that story?

Old 08-11-2003, 09:12 AM   #10

Creeky HB User
Hi Everyone,

I would like to thank each and everyone of you for all the great advice! I hope you guys don't mind me asking you a few questions about some things that I am not clear on. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

I would like to post to each one of you individually, because I have a lot of questions. I hope you don't mind me doing it this way.

Again, thank you all so much! I don't think you know what your help means to me. I am desperate to do this, and I know that I can, with the help from each and everyone of you.

Thank you for being so supportive. You guys are the best!

Take Care & God Bless,
~Creeky
~June 2003 - Present: Taking one day at a time. Learning to adapt to a new way of life.

Old 08-11-2003, 09:52 AM   #11

Creeky HB User
Hi Verylucky,

Thanks again, for all the great advice! As far as coming clean with my doctor, I am to scared to do that. I worry that he will cut me off of the meds in a snap, and just let me go through withdrawl, because he doesn't care. I have asked him before, how do I get of these pills when I feel better, and he has said to me on several occasions,"you just stop taking them and go through the withdrawl, you will be uncomfortable, but it has never killed anyone yet." My doctor is not a very compassionate doctor and never has been. So to be honest with you, that is the reason why I haven't come clean yet with my doctor, because it scares the sh** out of me. If you could suggest something on this, I would appreciate it, because I would like to tell him.

I hope you don't mind me asking you a few questions. You had mentioned in your post that going cold turkey rarely works for anyone, why is this? Is it because the withdrawls are that bad? You also had suggested either try tapering or inpatient detox, which one do you think would be better/easier? I think after reading your post, there is no way that I would be able to go cold turkey if you couldn't do it. I am a wimp when it comes to pain and being sick, and I will be the first to admit it. So if you are as tough as you say you are, and the withdrawls beat your a**, well thats enough to scare me from going cold turkey so I guess I will rule that way OUT!

You also had mentioned in your post that you went through inpatient, so if you don't mind me asking, can you tell me what they did for you and what you went through when you were going through detox? Such as what did they give you, ow long the program was and ect....

Also, you had mentioned that my body would crave and obsess over the drugs after I quit. I was under the assumption that once they were out of my system, I would be okay, is this not true? I feel so stupid asking you these questions, but this is all new to me, and I want to be prepared.

So I think what is being said is, not only do I have to get through the withdrawls, but I also have to go through the cravings? How long does this last?

One last thing, you had mentioned AA/NA. Please correct me if I am wrong, it seems to me that what you are saying is, AA is better then NA? I was under the assumption that AA was for acoholics, and NA was for drug users, could you please clarify this for me. Does AA give better support then NA? I will wait for you to post back to me on this. Geeeez, I feel so stupid! I am so sorry for asking you all of these questions.

Again Lucky, thank you so much for all the great information. I hope that with all this great advice that you have giving me, I will able to go through this process and know what is going to happen to me as I go through it.

I wish you the best in all that you do, and please take care of yourself. Thank you for taking the time and helping me. I am very grateful for your help.

Take Care,
~Creeky

Old 08-11-2003, 10:53 AM   #12
Inactive

okieatheart HB User
Talking

Hello Creeky!! Please this is the LAST place you should ever feel stupid!! This is a place to get away from people "stereotyping" an addict. We are all very happy to help each other and give advice in the way that best works/worked for us! So,IMO you should try to digest as much advice as possible on here and do what works best for you......now all that said.....I to had a doctor that was as compassionate as a lima bean BUT there are others who have had very,very compassionate doctors so again if you know what type of doc you have then do whats best for you,keep getting them and taper,if he will only give you the percs if you agree to take the oxys to,then just grin and accept the script BUT SHRED IT TO PIECES in the car!! LOL
Tapering is something I wasn't able to do but I was able to go cold turkey off of 30-40 5mg oxys a day...No,it was not easy,or fun but its possible......I say its better to go c/t if you cannot taper or catch yourself "indulging" often during the taper process. It's better to go c/t and be done with it than continue the cycle just because you can't taper and are scared of w/d's....I cannot tell you how worth it being done with those pills is......heavenly,euphoric, any good feeling you can think of!
I took a benzo (1 in the eve. for sleep) for the first three days of w/d along with ibuprofen and a multi-vitamin
As far as everything being peachy when all the meds are out of your sytem......uumm..truthfully.......no.... ..the cravings can last awhile but become less intensive with time.....the depression and or blah,blah,blah feeling usually starts after a week.That is also very diificult because you have to learn to live again with a "happy" pill.May sound easy,maybe it will be for you...BUT i know you can do this...take care and keep us posted

Old 08-11-2003, 01:30 PM   #13

bellgirl HB User
Red face

Hello Creeky --

I posted a long response to you yesterday, but for some reason (it was my first time posting) I thought I was writing to someone named "Newbie." That's why I began my message that way. Sorry. I hope you figured out that my long message was posted to you primarily, and of course to all others who can benefit from it. Sorry for the confusion and I hope you're doing okay.

Old 08-11-2003, 06:13 PM   #14
Veteran

verylucky HB User
Creeky,
Don't ever hesitate to ask questions of other addicts. I consider it a privilege and part of my 12th step work in sharing my experience, strength and hope.

As far as coming clean with your doc is concerned, I would be scared too if that was my doc's attitude. I personally think it is unethical, immoral and a violation of the hypocratic oath for a doctor to give you narcotics for an extended period of time and then say you have to "tough it out" to get clean. That is total bullsh*t. Call around and see if you can't find an addictionologist or at least a general practitioner that has some understanding of addiction and see if they will help you taper if you choose that route. If you have any treatment centers in your area (most larger hospitals have them), that would probably be a good place to start.

As far as me saying that cold turkey rarely works, I kinda wish I hadn't been so strong in that statement. You will see people on here all the time that have been able to get thru the W/Ds. However, my experience is that they are the exception as opposed to the rule. In my opinion, that is because the pain and depression is so intense that the thought of a little pill relieving the suffering is just too big a temptation to overcome when you hit the 2nd, 3rd or 4th day. I know it was for me. I would get to the point where I would just give in an say to myself that it was better to be addicted than to try and live that way.

I think I've really overstated the severity of W/Ds to you as well. Don't get me wrong, they are bad but they won't kill you unless you are also withdrawing from benzos (valium, etc.). It really is a humbling experience for me (which is good) to think that I can bench press a Mack truck but a little pill that weighs only fractions of an ounce could whip me.

I think the inpatient form of detox was the best for me because if I was in a controlled setting then I couldn't leave to get the drugs that I would crave so badly during the first few days of withdrawals. The typical inpatient stay is usually between 4-7 days. Up until a few years ago, they really took a medieval approach about detoxing and, basically, just made you suffer thru them as a "reminder" of what you had done to yourself. I think most places are much more sympathetic nowadays and they will at least give you some clonodine which is a blood pressure medication that will take some of the edge off but you will not be comfortable by any means. Some facilities even go so far as to give you benzos to help with the anxiety and sleep aids such as ambien.

During withdrawals you will experience deep muscle pain. I can't really describe the pain other than to say that it was so deep in my body that I couldn't massage where it was. You will also probably experience hot/cold sweats, restless legs (you just can't get comfortable), elevated blood pressure, lethargy (I felt like I was carrying a ton of bricks around on my back), slight fever, insomnia (which lasted a month for me) and, worst of all, depression. All of these symptoms can be managed with the right meds - valium, mega vitamins, clonodine, etc.-- and exercise. Gosh, I know I'm not painting a pretty picture but I'm telling you exactly what I experienced. I hope others will chime in and let you know their experiences (hopefully, some of those will be a little less dire than what I've told you).

Now, for the craving issue. Technically, the cravings actually go away after you are detoxed because your body is no longer needing the narcotics to function. However, the mental obsession will kick in after you have detoxed. This is when you think about the pills non-stop and is why you need to stay in touch with others that have been thru the same thing (i.e. AA/NA meetings). The mental obsession part (a lot of people, including myself, call it craving but the professionals say it is purely mental after detoxing) can last anywhere from a couple of weeks to years but they always get less and less frequent and less powerful the further you get from your last pill.

I really don't advocate AA over NA but have found that there is usually much more sobriety in the AA meetings so those are usually the ones I prefer because I like to hear the people that have been clean for 5, 10, 15 and more years share their experience, strength and hope. It is rare to find an NA meeting where you have that much clean time. I don't think that is because one is better than the other but more a function of the fact that AA has been around for so much longer than NA. Lots of addicts go to AA meetings only. Up until a few years ago, there were some AA meetings that wouldn't allow narcotics to be discussed. Those meetings, thank goodness, are few and far between now.

I think I've touched on just about everything you asked. If not (or if you have any additional questions), please ask away. I was very serious when I said I consider it a privilege to share my experience -- in fact, it helps me stay clean to do so. Also, if there are others out there that can add to what I've told Creeky, please drop a line.

Take care,
verylucky

Old 08-11-2003, 06:27 PM   #15

Creeky HB User
Hi Cetiya,

Thank you to responding to my post. I am so sorry to hear that you are miserable, somehow I can relate to that. It makes me very sad to hear that you are feeling this way. If there is anything that I can do to help you, please know that I am here for you, and I will help you in anyway that I can.

I have always heard and have been told that if you take your medication exactly how it is perscribed, then you won't become addicted, what a lie that was! I have learned personally that it doesn't work that way.

I have stayed away from the Oxy Contin for over 6 months. My doctor suggested the Oxy's to me because I have chronic pain. He says that the Oxy Contin is easier on the liver, then the percocet because of the tylenol thats in it. My doctor keeps pushing me towards the Oxy, and I keep refusing it. I know that I have an addictive personality, so if I take it, I know that I will be addicted and I don't want that to happen!

You had mentioned in your post that you checked into a detox center that offers benzos, what is benzos? And what is clonidine? Do I need both of these to get through withdrawl? I don't have insurance but my dad said that he would pay for any rehab that I needed, so that will help my situation.

You had stated, that I would know when it was time to act on this, I can tell you that I am at that point. I am truly sick and tired of all of this, and I have had enough already! I just want to get over with it and be done with it, and start enjoying my life again.

I would like to thank you for your help on this. I am very grateful to you and everyone on this board for helping me out with all of my questions. It seems to me that there is a great amount of support here, and knowing that, makes me feel pretty good. I think the more information I have on this, the better off I will be when the time comes. I will know what to expect and hopefully, it will make it easier.

Thanks again for all of the great info, I really do appreciate it. Please take care of yourself, and know that I am here if you ever need anyone.

Take Care,
~Creeky

Closed Thread