It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2001, 11:42 AM   #1
Inactive

bad juju HB User
Angry Afrin Addiction

Can someone give me some suggestions to help quit using Afrin. It is my 2nd day and my head is going to explode

Old 02-26-2001, 05:43 PM   #2

Alabama David HB User
I know it isn't like heroin or anything, but nose spray is a tough one to get through. I, and my wife have both been hooked on the stuff. What I mean is we couldn't breath through our noses without it. What happens is the Afrin, (or whatever nosespray you use) makes your nasal membranes shrink(for lack of a better word). When the Afrin wears off, the membrane swells and you can't breath.
There are a couple options you have. First, they sell over the counter "saline spray" for your nose. It doesn't have the same active ingredients as Afrin and such. It won't seem to work at first, but keep taking and it will start to help.
You could also see a physician, who will probably give you a prescription saline type spray and maybe some decongestants.
At first, when I was weening myself off it, I would use it just at night. But, I only did that a few days. You have my sympathy, I've been there. Your sinuses will be a world better in about a week. Despite the way it feels, your head probably won't explode. Good luck.

------------------
Bama Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2001, 11:41 PM   #3

Joseph77 HB User
You are not the only person I've heard with difficulty trying to get off of AFRIN. BAMA is correct about the afrin and what it does. I would go to your physician and consult him on ways to detach yourself from this "addicting" nose spray.

Best of luck to you.
Keep us posted.

joE

Old 03-26-2001, 06:20 PM   #4

Need a Breather HB User
Thumbs up

I have been where you are-- and am again, right now. I got myself off Afrin in November (the 1st), and stayed free until I caught a cold in late December. Gradually, I've gotten myself into another mess. This is my first full day w/o Afrin, and I, too, feel like my head will explode. I feel a bit stronger, though, because of my Nov. experience. My advice to you is to get a cortizone pill pack; the doctor must prescribe it. Too, have him give you a prescription decongestant. Will this make it much easier? NO. However, I do think it lessens the amount of suffering time. I know tonight I'll have to sleep somewhat vertical, and that I'll want to give in and take some Afrin. HOWEVER, if I hold out, I should be better by the weekend. (It's Monday, now). It takes a couple of weeks to really get it out of your system, and it improve, still, after this! I just remember thinking that within a week, I was much better, and able to breathe through my nose, even at night, although it was usually worse just before bed. (HOwever, I would wake up in the morning able to breathe.) Please let me know how you're doing. Did you stick with it? It not, please let me know, and I'll give you more advice (and let you know if it is working like it did last time...)

Old 03-26-2001, 06:24 PM   #5

Need a Breather HB User
Thumbs up

I have been where you are-- and am again, right now. I got myself off Afrin in November (the 1st), and stayed free until I caught a cold in late December. Gradually, I've gotten myself into another mess. This is my first full day w/o Afrin, and I, too, feel like my head will explode. I feel a bit stronger, though, because of my Nov. experience. My advice to you is to get a cortizone pill pack; the doctor must prescribe it. Too, have him give you a prescription decongestant. Will this make it much easier? NO. However, I do think it lessens the amount of suffering time. I know tonight I'll have to sleep somewhat vertical, and that I'll want to give in and take some Afrin. HOWEVER, if I hold out, I should be better by the weekend. (It's Monday, now). It takes a couple of weeks to really get it out of your system, and it improve, still, after this! I just remember thinking that within a week, I was much better, and able to breathe through my nose, even at night, although it was usually worse just before bed. (HOwever, I would wake up in the morning able to breathe.) Please let me know how you're doing. Did you stick with it? It not, please let me know, and I'll give you more advice (and let you know if it is working like it did last time...)

Old 02-18-2003, 04:03 AM   #6

breich HB User
Hi - How often actually constitutes an addition?

I use it 1/week, sometimes twice. Am I addicted? Should I be concerned?

Is 1/day considered an addition?

What can happen to your nose/health with over use?

br

Old 02-23-2003, 01:53 PM   #7

LynnC HB User
And I thought I was alone! This is really kinda funny!
I have zero tolerance of any nose spray. When I HAVE to use it this is what I do:
1) Only use the 12 hour stuff.
2) Only spray 1 side.
3) Only use at night, so you can sleep.
4) The next night, spray the other side.
5) Only treat 1 time (spray once, see if it is sufficient, if not only one more time).
I promise this works!

Old 02-23-2003, 04:05 PM   #8

CRAZE HB User
That Afrin is some bad stuff. I was on it for 8 years. Went to doctor and he prescribed a nose spray. It was hard because it did not give fast relief. I was determined and after a month I was healed.
It is great not to be a prisoner to that stuff anymore. Get off it!!! You will be glad you did.
CRAZE

Old 06-19-2003, 02:47 PM   #9

kay HB User
I was addicted to nasal spray for 15 years--I used it every day, all through the day, and couldn't breath without it. I never attempted to quit that whole time because I thought it would be impossible--I thought my head would explode. Three weeks ago I made the decision to quit--cold turkey. I TOTALLY recommend anyone who is addicted to the stuff to just STOP! It is NOT as hard as it may seem. It was a little uncomfortable for maybe 2 weeks, but certainly not as bad as being addicted to the stuff. When I made the decision to stop, I went through my house and threw out every bottle of nasal spray I had--even all of those hidden bottles. I decided to quit at a time when I didn't have any work responsibilities. It has been three weeks now, and I feel saved! I can now go to social functions and be normal with everyone else, not having to search for a space to do the spray and an excuse to get away from the others. Trust me! Just stop now! Life is wonderful! Since I stopped, I haven't looked back. When I do get a bit stuffed up, I know now that it will pass, and my nose will clear on its own! (Buy some Vicks vapor rub for under the nose--the non-grease kind--that helps a bit). I wanted to write and offer encouragement because it's hard when you are addicted to nasal spray--nobody understands except those of us who have been there. Don’t wait any longer; you will be so happy you forced yourself to just stop—it is simply that easy.
Kay

Old 07-05-2003, 04:23 PM   #10

soaringsalad HB User
Question

I just started using Afrin and i've heard it was addictive, i've had two nose surgeries becuase of not being able to breath though my nose, and most unfortunatly, i still can't. I found Afrin in my medicin cabnit, it was prescribed from a docter after my first nose surgery and he warned me it was addictive, i've only been using it for like 4 days, and when i don't use it (at night before i sleep) i can't breathe at all! i only use it in one nostril, (that sounds weird...) and now i've been getting chronic nose bleeds in that one...i have stopped using it but can't breathe now, does anybody have a recomondation for a better nose spray that won't become addictive but can still relieve my nose issues? if you have instant message (AIM or AOL) please i.m me at soaringsalad thanks

Old 07-06-2003, 12:08 AM   #11

yoga1st HB User
i prefer the vicks sinex stuff ~the mist~ i probly use it once a day and if i feel a migraine coming on i am going for the vicks, my doc has perscribed me nasonex and i find if i am using the vicks to much i will switch to nasonex for a while and it helps with the not being able to breathe part ,

Old 08-26-2003, 04:26 PM   #12

gtrplayer HB User
I'm an addict of about 14yrs as well. It's gotten really bad recently due to the humidity and hot weather here on the east coast. Plus, I think my house is now infested with mold and I basically live in a freakin forest!

I have a physician friend that will prescribe me flonase and other drugs, but have neglected to take him up on his offer. I would just rather be "clear" with the Afrin....BAD choice!

This forum has given me hope to say the least! So it seems that the worst of the worst part will be about two weeks eh?? Is is REALLY that much better to be off of it?????????

Thanks to all for your contributions!

Matt

Old 08-26-2003, 06:10 PM   #13
Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
I may sound a bit or ALOT lol nieve here but what is Afrin? Is it a nasal spray and it is a narcotic??
Anyway the first 4 days are usually the worst..Day 2 and 3 being the worst. Day 4 and after it starts easing up and you feel a little better each day. There are other Non Narc meds you can take to ease the WD.
Advil or tylenol for the headaches and body aches, a multivitamin for energy and strength or a good energy drink, Immodium is a must for the dreaded "runs" Hot baths or showers for the restless aching legs and crawling skin or ask your doc for Clonidine. Benadryl I heard helps you sleep or an OTC sleep aid or some Ativan. I am sorry I cant be of more help maybe someone else here can. God bless.
Autumn Angel.

Old 08-26-2003, 06:32 PM   #14
Senior Veteran

Monday1954 HB User
I have long known the joys and sorrows of Afrin.
Back in 1974 you had to have a rx for it, around
the summer of 1976 my dr. wouldn't let me have
anymore - said I was addicted!!! I couldn't
breathe out of my nose for at least a week.
I got through it and now I never buy Afrin,
do have to admit I am tempted though, especially
in the spring and fall.

Flonase didn't really help me, I swear I think it
was rx rose water. Now I take singulaire and
use over the counter sudafed. Still use nose
spray sometimes (just can't help it) but I stay
away from the Afrin, it feels too good, I can
still remember the feeling of breathing through
my nose and it burning because so much air came
through.

Old 08-28-2003, 09:21 PM   #15

neuronz-on-the-fritz HB User
The active ingredient in nose sprays is not a narcotic, but a vasoconstrictor. Some suggestions:

First- cut to one squirt (instead of 2) twice a day, then, like the above post suggested, alternate nostrils, then use just at bedtime (one nostril). Also, the saline nose spray can help, along with Vicks Vapo-Rub (so you 'feel' like you're breathing better), and those strips that go across the bridge of your nose. Good luck. It sounds like a trivial problem, but it's real. And if you have high blood pressure, it can be dangerous. can also lead to lots of bloody noses.

Closed Thread