It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2003, 01:33 PM   #1

beeswax HB User
Post Paxil & Oxycodone

Dose anyone know if Paxil & Oxycodone cause the Oxy not to work at full power?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2003, 10:39 AM   #2

imthatguy HB User
I read that the 2 can interact with each other. They both stimulate the same part of the brain and can cause something called seratonin syndrome(which could kill you) I don't know how likely this is to happen, but I wouldn't play around with the 2, unless they were both prescribed by a doctor and they are watching/controlling you dose. I don't think one will take away the effectiveness of the other though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2003, 10:46 AM   #3

imthatguy HB User
Here's how an online medical site describes it....

oxycodone and paroxetine (major Drug-Drug interaction)
Description:
MONITOR CLOSELY: The combining of agents that can inhibit serotonin reuptake and/or other agents with serotonergic activity (including some medications for migraine therapy and certain opioids) may potentiate the risk of serotonin syndrome, which is a rare but serious and potentially fatal condition thought to result from hyperstimulation of brainstem 5-HT1A receptors. MANAGEMENT: In general, the concomitant use of multiple serotonergic agents should be avoided if possible, or otherwise approached with caution if potential benefit is deemed to outweigh the risk. Close monitoring is recommended for signs and symptoms of excessive serotonergic activity such as CNS irritability, altered consciousness, confusion, myoclonus, ataxia, abdominal cramping, hyperpyrexia, shivering, pupillary dilation, diaphoresis, hypertension, and tachycardia. Particular caution is advised when increasing the dosages of these agen

Old 09-04-2003, 12:16 PM   #4

beeswax HB User
Thank you for the info. I have been taking both everyday for two weeks. I will rethink my intake.

Old 09-04-2003, 12:20 PM   #5
Veteran

verylucky HB User
Beeswax,
Is the same doc prescribing you both medications? If so, you need to contact his office ASAP because there are other anti-depressants available that don't interact directly with opiates.

Take care and be careful,
verylucky

Old 09-06-2003, 10:02 PM   #6

beeswax HB User
Yes the same doctor is setting me up with both meds. he told me everything is safe. Now that I have read your reply I do not know what to do. Is he right? or am I playing with fire.

Old 09-08-2003, 11:14 AM   #7

Hope_Abounds HB User
Post Beeswax

Hello Bro.,

I can't speak on opiates, but can on bezodiaepines being xanax. A drug witdrawal craving has but one feeling.

I went cold turkey on July 2. I want to encourage you with what I done. There is no way to say this, but one way....HELL!

Bees, the cravings will surface anyplavce/anytime. You have to mentally tell yourself its a chemical, and it will get better. You said your wife is with you, and that is WONDERFUL, as support from Family is most important.

In closing, when you are physically withdrawn, the mental addiction/dependency diminishes slowly but surely.

Bees, the best, and I promise you you are doing the only thing for continue survival.

LOTS OF LOVE!
PEACE!

HOPE

Old 09-09-2003, 01:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

CoreyP HB User
I can't believe that! I have been taking the two for 3 years. A very high dose of both. I have specifically asked every single doctor including the seurgoens, then the PM's. That I am taking paxil and is this o.k. They have always told me it was no problem. I will have to bring this to him.

Closed Thread