It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2003, 07:04 AM   #1

lortabbuzzer HB User
Question Methadone vs. Lortab

I have a question and hoping that someone out there can help me. My boyfriend was just prescribed Methadone for Chronic Back Pain, 3- 10mg/day. Before this, he was prescribed Lortab 10's 4/day. I have been tell him that the Methadone is stronger than the Lortab but he doesn't believe me. I think he is just looking for that Lortab high and can't achieve it with the Methadone. He says it doesn't give you a high. I sometimes think this is all in his head. Is there a "high" associated with Methadone compared to Lortab? Basically I don't want him anywhere near Methadone because of the hell I hear it is coming off. I know the Lortabs are bad enough but from my experience with Methadone, I think Methadone is from the ***** himself when I had to detox from it after an allerigic reaction after only taking it for 7 days. If anyone can give me more information that I can show him about the comparison between Methadone and Lortab, I would greatly appriciate it. I don't want him to start abusing Methadone looking for a buzz.

Thanks Again in Advance~

Old 09-22-2003, 08:15 AM   #2
Veteran

1goodgirl HB User
My understanding is that Methadone does not give you a "high", and that is why it is used for addicts trying to get clean. It originally was used for pain, however.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2003, 09:26 AM   #3

Russo HB User
You'll find this out about anywhere on these boards, but methadone is not a "quick buzz" kind of drug. It's a long-acting narcotic, and can be useful for long term pain management. As has been said, it's also used to control withdrawal symptoms for people coming off stuff like heroin. I was on it for a while for my back pain, but I didn't like the side effects of feeling "doped" all the time, and slightly nauseated. But it acts very differently in the body from something like Hydrocodone (Lortab). And it can be very hard to get off of once you get deep into it.

Old 09-22-2003, 12:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

chefob1 HB User
i have been on methadone twice in my life..im 43 year old male....in 1984 i went on a clinic program for heroin addiction...i swore i would never take methadone again....for the last 4 years i was taking bupenorphine for opiate addiction/w/d's....i have chronic back problems also with my discs but i also have an addiction problem for taking pain meds for so long...since 1989 full time...used to take 40 -50 lortab 10's a day no problem....im now on methadone again but there are alot of mistruth and false info floating around...let me help clear it up if i may...methadone is a long acting opiate,pain med, so it will stay in your system longer than short acting opiates,ie lortab...the w/d's can be tramatic coming off lortab if done abruptly, and as with methadone...if you take your time and come off of methadone ever so slowly,the w/d's wont be that harsh....where we here methadone was hell,is from folks who did not wean/taper properly off the drug...the w/d's from hydrocodone can/are just as severe.......chef

Old 09-22-2003, 07:34 PM   #5

rockingham HB User
for lortabbuzzer,

i am going to post and provide some more information here. i wanted you to hear another perspective. i am a heroin addict. i also was a pill addict as well for 3 years. i have done a great deal of using in those 3 years. your main desire is to compare lortab and methadone and if methadone is perhaps stronger than lortab. first i will answer about the pain relieving quality of meth. compared to lortab. milligram for milligram the meth. is a stronger drug and will do a better job of relieving pain. it lasts an incredibly long time and is potent a much longer period of time as well. i dont like seeing people post about the 'facts' of methadone, one being how tough it is to come off of. it is NOT impossible to come off of the methadone. it is simple, you need to be cautious and take your time weaning one off of meth. because withdrawal will occur if one does try to accelerate the weaning process. if done with a doctors supervision methadone weaning is an easy process that should not worry anyone.

two other points i want to make quickly before i sign out today. one that methadone blocks the effects of other opiates. the full truth on this question is YES meth. will counteract an opiate if your dose is large enough but in the majority of cases the dose is not sufficient to do this and so people can STILL get high despite having taken a sizeable meth. dose that day. when i had taken amounts even as large as 120 or 160 milligrams and in the evening or even morning injected heroin or oxycontin it would generally go right thru the methadone. on the issue of injecting methadone, i have done it many many times and it is not in itself dangerous. i would like to hear the reasons that have made you feel this way sue, can you repost with some thoughts there please.

[This message has been edited by rockingham (edited 09-22-2003).]

Old 09-23-2003, 03:01 PM   #6

LaynesAddiction1 HB User
Methadone is a CII drug which classifieds it as very high abuse potential. Someone who is not a chronic Morphine abuser can and will go into respiratory arrest if taking methadone ALONE in moderate doses and it does give a high "similar" to any opiate at these doses. Of course it doesnt readily pass the BBB like most semi-synthetic opiates but it can be abused with a fatal outcome. I've actually abused methadone before I've even got into Heroin and Dilaudid.

Rockingham - Im not attacking you but maybe for YOU methadone was a breeze but it took me 3 years to get off the drug. Sure enough, Yes I did relapse and used for about a year after but this time I went on subox instead.

Closed Thread