It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2003, 11:23 AM   #1

pez HB User
Cool 6 days on methadone to quit 30 pill/day vicoprofen addiction...EXCELLENT RESULTS

I posted on Friday of last week to let folks know how methadone was working for me. It's been a total of 6 days on methadone and I feel better than I can ever remember feeling in my life. My dose is now mg and I'm going to stick at this dose for a couple of days, for no other reason besides I feel like I've had 40 pills and my body needs to adjust to the dose. Like I said on Friday, they started me at 30 mg and went up 10mg a day from there. This is my second day at 60mg and the only ill effect I have is if I sit and look at the TV or computer too long, my eyes space out. But here's the real deal. I have had ZERO cravings, none, at all. The pill doctor called a bit freaked out that I hadn't called him and should have been through a 130 pills by now and I said NO!!!! Can you beleive it, I couldn't get out of bed, or anything without 10 VPs in my system before this. I have more energy than ever, I cleaned my entire house this weekend, I've not been able to do that without pills for years! I kicked my Red Bull addiction too! Smoking is next, but I'm trying to eat an elephant here, so one bite at a time. Anyway, the drive is really a breeze in the morning and I spoke to the doctor that founded the clinic yesterday (he is a recovering vicoden addict himself who opened this clinic in a rich north shore community because there were no options for people like him, or me....that are addicted to prescription drugs and not anything else, I by the way, only got my RX through one doctor, so no street drugs) anyway he told me after a few weeks, and a few clean pee tests, I can qualify for a hardship case, which means I live far enough away from the clinic that I could take my medication home with me a couple times a week instead of going there 6 days a week. All in all, it's a really nice place with really nice, upper middle-class people in it. If you didn't know what they did there, you would never beleive it. Anyway if there is anyone out there that is struggling with pill addiction (especially vicoprofen, since that is what I know about) and is broke, depressed, overweight, hopeless and not able to wean or taper no matter what, please write me and I'll tell you anything you would like to know.

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2003, 12:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefortoday HB User
Good for you Pez!! I hope you stay as happy as you sound in your recovery here on out!

Old 10-29-2003, 01:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lane71501 HB User
pez-
my hubby could have written everything you wrote! it is sooo reassuring for me to hear about others doing well on methadone since i had my doubts at first!!!! he is excited about doing "family" stuff now like trick or treating, going to greet our best friends new daughter, etc! I for one love it!

Old 10-29-2003, 02:40 PM   #4

rockingham HB User
amen sister pez. i am so happy for you.

the gospel on methadone is that it is a fantastic medicine for those who want to stop living with addiction. it is one alternative for those who still battle demons in active addiction. trading a drive for the pain one goes thru calling doctors, counting pills and dealing with the stress of constant worry should be a simple decision. it is very tough to read posts from people who dont want to use methadone when reasons used are not wishing to drive everyday. or it is impossible to stop taking the methadone. looking back at the unhappiness i dealt with each day of my life as an addict, and especially at the end, methadone was the wisest choice i have made in quite a long time.

Old 10-29-2003, 04:54 PM   #5
Inactive

Julie29 HB User
Pez,
Really happy for you that you are doing so well! I found an addictologist who told me NO WAY on the meth and NO as well on the suboxone. He said my "habbit" wasn't bad enough..though I am having some sucess tapering...very very very hard and daunting..I envy you! I can't wait to feel "normal" again. Just curious do you have to have such a large "habbit" to qualify for programs such as Methadone or suboxone?? Just wondering what your Dr. might have said. Glad you hear you are feeling so good! Julie

Old 10-29-2003, 05:28 PM   #6

rockingham HB User
julie can you post again with the type and amount of pills you are using on a daily basis.

Old 10-29-2003, 09:33 PM   #7

2good2goback HB User
Thumbs up

I used Methadone for the last 2 weeks before I finally found a Subutex, Suboxone doctor. The max that can be prescribed for 30 days is 90 8mg, I can max out at 24 mg a day, I stayed at 16mg for a long time, but now Iím am taking less, and somedays none at all, I forget to take it. I was stable at 100mg of methadone a day, when I started Subutex the first day was roughbut not like full WD. Find a doctor on
[url="http://buprenorphine.samhsa.gov/bwns_locator/index.html"]http://buprenorphine.samhsa.gov/bwns_locator/index.html[/url]

Call them all, I called everyone in Atlanta and only one returned my call, he saw me the same day. You need a 3-day adjustment period but after about 2 weeks you will have energy beyond belief. I agree Methadone does work great but I believe Buprenorphine. Is a much better choice and much greater freedom, plus for me it keeps my back and other pains under control. Hard to believe what one little pill can do. And they say it doesnít show up on standard drug screens.
I was also getting my Methadone illegally. Thatís how I was able to get such a high dose. I was about to start going to my own clinic before this doctor called me back, but I knew they would start me on a low dose, and my friend couldnít keep me supplied much longer.

Keep doing good
Billy

Old 10-30-2003, 05:36 AM   #8
Inactive

Julie29 HB User
Rock,
to answer your question I am using 100mg of hydrocodone a day (and dropping). Three week's ago I was using 180-200mg of hydrocodone so I have tapered this far. I see the Dr. today. His point to me was "why would you want another monkey on your back?". my answer was "I don't..I just want off these pills..and I want off for GOOD!". So, he want's to work out a taper sechedule to help me finish and RX some non-narcotic meds to help me through the process..he mentioned some names..some I have read here some I haven't. I do want a "back-up' plan as Phil suggested. Just curious if you had to be a certain kind of user to qualify for these programs. sorry Pez for this long post on your thread...glad to hear how good you are feeling!! Julie

[This message has been edited by Julie29 (edited 10-30-2003).]

Old 10-30-2003, 07:21 AM   #9

rudder HB User
Pez-

That's really great, and I'm so glad it's working out for you. Maybe at some point, like Chef, you will be able to take home a script for like a months worth of meds. Has anyone seen Chef around?. Good luck w/ the program, & keep me posted.

Rudder

To: 2Good

Why in the world would you come to post about a guy who just started Meth., is VERY happy w/ it, has said it works for his situation, & start PUSHING suboxone?
Why not just be happy for him and move on? If you want to preach suboxone, start your own thread. This is about a meth. success story, so leave it at that. Seems like common sense to me.

Old 10-30-2003, 07:22 AM   #10

rmi HB User
Julie I am on suboxone too. I was taking 100-150 mgs of hydro a day. If I were you I would find a new Doctor. The Sub is the best thing thing I ever did. I am 7 days clean from Hydro I have no w/d's I dont wake up sick in the AM. I have no symptons. The Sub does not get you high, just makes you feel comfortable so you dont need drugs. I take 16mg of sub a day.

Old 10-30-2003, 07:27 AM   #11

rmi HB User
Oh I forgot to say, way to go Pez!! I am sure you are so relieved now that you dont have to lie and scramble to get pills everyday so you dont get sick. That is the real "monkey on your back" Not Meth or Sub. they are both great treatments. Pez you made a very brave decision way to go!!!

Old 10-30-2003, 08:57 AM   #12
(female)

StacyVictor HB User
First let me start by saying congratulations on kicking your pill habit. That is wonderful!! I am wondering though, if anybody at your meth clinic told you how addictive Methadone is. It is as addictive if not worse than the pills. I know because I was on it twice for heroin addiction. I started taking the vic's because after being off the methadone for 2 months I was still so sick and lethargic I could not move. I started taking the vicodin's to counteract the methadone withdrawal. I am quite sure that there are several people on this board that can tell you how horrible withdrawal is with methadone. In fact, I have never personally met anybody who successfully withdrew from meth. By the way, I never took more than 45 mg a day of meth. The reason you feel so good is because you are high as a kite! Do you not have access to a doctor that prescribe suboxone? This is the route I took. There are people that will say that suboxone is just as bad as methadone, but I disagree. Suboxone will not get you high. I don't have to go to a clinic everyday b/c I get my pills at a pharmacy. I hope I haven't put a damper on your accomplishments b/c I did mean too, but I wanted to let you know what you are up against. If I had been told the first time I started methadone what it would do to me, I NEVER would have started taking it. Heroin withdrawal is 10 times easier than methadone withrawal! Good luck.

Stacy

Old 10-30-2003, 11:03 AM   #13

pez HB User
hope4today-
thank you, you are an angel...
lane-
he's right, it's a God send. I wish you love and happiness!
Rockingham-
Thank God there is someone else out there that's actually on methadone with me. It's interesting how many people sit on these boards crying, wining and complaining about how bad thier lives are, but aren't willing to change anything. I love you!!!!
Julie-
I don't know what that means in terms of number of pills, but the clinic isn't concerened with the number. The doctor that founded it told me that they have treated people that have a 100 pill a day habit and those with 2 pills a day. An addiction is an addiction so either way, it helps. Significantly. But it's a matter of personal choice, for most addicts, one pill is too many and a million isn't enough. Tapering didn't work, I seriously doubt that alone will help anyone long-term. There needs to be counseling, major lifestyle changes and commitment. Addicts are commitment-phobic. Any how good luck to you.
2good-

The clinic I'm in treats more pill addicts than horion, but that maybe because I live in an upscale community. Go figure, like pills are glamorous?!?! I would never think of taking methadone from an illegal source, you really need to be on it and monitored every day. You're situation is very different than mine. Good luck on the Subutex, the clinic will eventually use that to wean off the meth.
Julie-
If you want off the pills so bad, then quit, get on methadone or Subutex but don't fool yourself into thinking that it will get any easier, it will not. I've tried it 100 times to no avail. Maybe you're stronger than I am. Who knows. But what I like about the clinic is that they treat addiction as a mental disorder, a disconnect in the brain that needs to be blocked. That is what it's doing for me, blocking my "jones" blocking any thought really of pills.
Rudder- Chef is great, but is in a different program than I am. AND THANK YOU FOR STICKING UP FOR ME, IT NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE ME WHAT PEOPLE HAVE THE BALLS TO SAY!!!!!
RMI-thanks for your help, but I'd take rudder's advice, Julie too. I think you have plenty of space to sing the praises of Subutex somewhere else. I put this thread up because I was a huge pill junkie, I followed several threads about methadone and decided it was worth a shot. It was.

STACY-

What do you think? I stepped into a posh spa where they just dole out methadone? I am an incredibly intelligent woman. I am a current member of MENSA, I own a very successful business and uh, duh shucks, you don't say? Methadone is addictive? You were a heroin addict, you did not work the program correctly, not once but twice!And knowing you were an addict, you decided in your infanite wisdom to take vicoden? Come on!

[This message has been edited by AddictionMod (edited 10-30-2003).]

Closed Thread