It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2003, 11:49 PM   #1
(female)

lovey1 HB User
Suboxone dosage

Hello everyone!
I hope everyone is doing well. I just have a concern that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I started taking the suboxone 2 weeks ago and had my follow up appointment with my Dr. two days ago. He started me out taking 4 mgs every other day; 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. After two days, he upped my dosage to 8 mgs every other day; 4 in the am and 4 in the evening. I continued on this plan until my follow up two days ago. My concern is that he now wants me to take 1- 8 mg pill once a day but only every other day! Does this sound right to anyone? He said that the suboxone lasts for 48 hours and I shouldn't take it everyday. I told him that I usually struggled with cravings on the days I don't take it but he insisted I continue to take it only every other day. I just don't feel like I'm getting the full benefit of the medicine. I really can tell it works on the the days I do take it but on the days I don't, I REALLY struggle. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? THANKS!!
Mary Beth

Old 11-15-2003, 07:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User
lovie i gotta go to work now but i will get back to ya later on-spark

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2003, 11:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

chefob1 HB User
your doc read the litature that states you can give it to the patient every other day since it has such a long half-life....i used this med for 4 years.....it does have a long half life but i needed my dose by a day and half after dosing

Old 11-15-2003, 07:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User
Did they give you Subutex before Suboxone? How many days had it been since you had an opiate before you started Suboxone? Did it make you sick at first? What does it make you feel like on the good days? Thank you and I wish you luck. My doc just gave me some and wants me to take 2 16mg each day but told me I could end up in the ER because I'm in wd. Please help...

Old 11-20-2003, 01:36 PM   #5
Inactive

sadsister HB User
Re: Suboxone dosage

Hi all..
My husband and i have been on suboxone for 5months..i take 8mgs a day and he takes 4 or 8..8 if he is doing every other day..you can dose every day..usually in a range of 4- to 24 mgs daily or everyother day..every doc is differant..but if you are craving you should be able to dose daily.8 mgs. is lowball on the scale..you should talk to him about how you feel..even the suboxone site sez:12-16 mgs. is recommended.
To my pals..i have been offline due to broken computer.. but im back
Peace and good luck w/ the Dr. Heather

Old 11-20-2003, 03:07 PM   #6
Inactive

John 808 HB User

I have noticed your absence Heather! Glad you are back and hope you are doing well. Don't have time to really talk now- gotta go fix supper!

Michelle

Old 11-20-2003, 05:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

i think that it should be taken every day for at least a month or more to get all the other opiates out of the body and get detoxed good.even tho you are on suboxone the body is still in w/ds amd the sub masks the worst of it.after you have about a month of clean time then maybe go to every other day until you are ready to quit it to and then start a slow taper over a period of months but i will warn you that no matter how slow you taper you will have w/ds when you quit the sub and i think they are just as bad as regular pill w/ds but some say not but you will find outso good luck and whatever you do do not take any opiates while takin the suboxone as this really messes with the brain and it doesnt know which way to go and it sets you back to day one all over again-spark

Old 11-20-2003, 09:30 PM   #8
Veteran

Root HB User

I am thinking evry doc might do this difrent but it sounds to me like you are not geting enuf of the sub. My doc won't let me take all my pills for the day at once and tells me to take them when I feel the wds and would of take the hydro. So I take 16 to 24 mg a day when I need it. My doc is an adicshunist for 33 years so I am trusting he knows what he is doing. I am happy because I start out at 24 mgs. sub evry day and now after almost two weeks I am having more days that I take only 16 mg. I am glad he lets my body tell me when I need the sub or that is what he says any way.

Old 11-20-2003, 10:09 PM   #9

2good2goback HB User
Thumbs up Re: Suboxone dosage

Suboxone is a great treatment, I don't know how long i've been on it now. Havn't posted since the change, I would say over 6 month. I got addicted due to 2 surgeries a year part, not to say that I didn't like the feeling before surgery.
My Dr gives me 90 8mg per visit, and sometimes that last just over a month, wainting until your in withdrawl to take your next dose I don't think is the right way, you have to remember that Doctor where only giving the right to prescribe this until Oct 08 2002. They have a lot of learning too. 2mg per day work great for some 24mg barely keep others in control, I try to keep mine at 16 or under per day. It's a hard switch your used to taking 4-8 pills 3-4 time a day to just 1 a day or everyother day. I do know that I have gone thru at least 1 day at a time not taking. only because I didn't know then kept me rolling. If your wanting to get high forget it, Hydro Oxy, codone won't do a thing,

Good luck
Billy

Old 11-21-2003, 09:31 PM   #10
(female)

lovey1 HB User

Hi everyone!
Thanks so much for all of your input regarding suboxone and dosages. Just to give everybody and update. My doctor gave me 8 - 8 mg tablets to last for a two week period. I'm to take one in the a.m. every other day. What I have found is that by late morning/early afternoon of the second day, I would begin having terrible cravings. I took it upon myself to take a half of one during those times and continue to take a full dosage the next morning. Of course I ran out early, and am now going through terrible withdrawals. I feel like I just quit taking the hydros cold turkey.. I called my doctor's office and, of course, he was not in. After leaving several messages, the nurse called me back and said under no circumstances would they call in anymore for me, not even one pill to stop the withdrawal process and my next appointment isn't until Monday afternoon. I know I shouldn't have taken the medicine on the second day without talking to my doctor first, but I know my body and the whole reason I decided to try the suboxone is because I can't seem to handle the cravings. At my last visit, he adamantly refused to prescribe them everyday even though I told him how I felt. He said by doing this, I would be trading one addiction for another.
My question is, should I look for a new doctor; one who will LISTEN to me? I don't feel I'm taking and extraordinary large amount of the suboxone and the dosage I'm on now isn't cutting it. I resent the way the office treated me, as if I was trying to abuse the drug or something. Believe me, I WANT to be off of all pills eventually, but I really need the suboxone to help me though the tough times right now. Please help!
Mary Beth

Old 11-21-2003, 09:45 PM   #11
Inactive

John 808 HB User

Mary Beth,
I am somewhat in the same boat as you- I decided to get on the sub because from my understanding, it would be alot easier to taper off of and the withdrawals would be alot more manageable. So, I hate to hear you are going through all this. I tried to stop taking my sub every day (I have been on it about four weeks) and had to go back to every day because of some mild withdrawal symptoms and cravings. I feel like I have traded one thing for another. I don't know if you have been reading the thread "Suboxene Feedback," but it has me very discouraged. I think your doctor is being a little harsh though. I have never heard of a doctor giving one just eight tablets for two weeks. I was instructed to take eight milligrams a day- I take four most days. I think I would look for a new doctor if I were you- that seems awfully insensitive to me??? Hang in there and keep us posted as to how you are doing. Again, I am so sorry they '"cut you off" like that- not good medicine practice in my opinion! You are in my prayers,

Michelle

Old 11-22-2003, 05:39 AM   #12
(female)

toomany HB User

Hi Mary,

So sorry to hear you are having problems with your doc. It does sound to me as if you need to find another sub doc. Maybe you could also do some research on the sub site and take that in with you on your next appt. Some docs will listen to patients and some docs are "me doctor, you patient."

Maybe if you started keeping a journal of when you take your sub and when it feels like you are going into withdrawals, he may be more inclined to listen to you if he sees how active you are in your recovery from opiate addiction. Personally, I can't stand docs that treat us this way but until you can find one that will listen, perhaps this will help your current doc to understand what you are going through.

Hope this helps. Hang in there.

Patty

Closed Thread