It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2003, 10:30 AM   #1

lilla_coix HB User
Question For those of you who have quit opiates - will the RINGING in the ears go away??

Hi everyone,
I am hoping with every ounce of hope I have, that I can get off the oxycodone (which I have been taking for chronic pain) in the near future. I am looking into the withdrawl options. Anyhow, one of the unpleasant side effects I have experienced being on the oxycodone (Roxicodone - immediate release) is that my ears ring slightly - which I only notice when I am in a room where it is totally quiet - like when it is nighttime and I am in bed falling asleep, for example. ANyway, this does concern me because I would never want to have hearing problems permanently from this medication. SO what I am wondering is: once I get off the medication - does the ringing in the ears go away? How long has it taken for the ear ringing to go away for those of you that have quit opiates? This is important to me. Thank you.

Old 11-15-2003, 11:23 AM   #2

aquar HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilla_coix
Hi everyone,
I am hoping with every ounce of hope I have, that I can get off the oxycodone (which I have been taking for chronic pain) in the near future. I am looking into the withdrawl options. Anyhow, one of the unpleasant side effects I have experienced being on the oxycodone (Roxicodone - immediate release) is that my ears ring slightly - which I only notice when I am in a room where it is totally quiet - like when it is nighttime and I am in bed falling asleep, for example. ANyway, this does concern me because I would never want to have hearing problems permanently from this medication. SO what I am wondering is: once I get off the medication - does the ringing in the ears go away? How long has it taken for the ear ringing to go away for those of you that have quit opiates? This is important to me. Thank you.
Lilla,

Although I never experience any ear symptoms when I used hydro, Rush limbaugh had to have ear surgery and has hearing loss because of oxy. I would definitely try to quit soon as apparently ear problems can be caused by opiates.
I wish you the best of luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2003, 11:37 AM   #3

greymatter HB User
Lilla
I'm not sure if some of your tinnitus (the medical term for ringing in the ears) will go away, but I am guessing that much of it is permenant. I know from experience as I abused Vicodin, and Percocet for many years and have the same problem. However, I can tell you that one of the factors (and there were many) that got me clean was the fear of going deaf. Many people who have abused painkillers - mostly Vicodin - have lost some, if not all of their hearing. Limbaugh is a great example as when he went suddenly and completey deaf a few years ago, no one really knew the cause. But now that he has admitted to abusing a tremendous amount of pain meds, it all makes perfect sense. I have known of many people that have ringing in the ears due to these drugs, but - and I know this is going to sound trite - be glad that is all you have. One guy I read about was doing up to 100 Vicodin a day for a few months and woke up one morning completely deaf. He had to get a cochlear implant and can only hear in one ear now and that is about 30%.

Unfortunately, much of the hearing problems I know about related to opiate abuse are permenant and might get worse even after stopping using. A new study just came out suggesting that even regular use of painkilling opiate drugs (like 1 or 2 every 4-6 hours) for a length of time can cause severe tinnitus or moderate to severe hearing loss.

I hope this helps out. I know that it is just another factor that helps me fight this disease and stay sober every day. Good luck and take care.

Closed Thread