It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2003, 02:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User
suboxone withdrawal symptoms #2

just thought i would start a new thread if anybody else wanted to share there experience with suboxone/subtex/bup.thanks for the support and all the replys as i appreciate them all-spark

Old 11-24-2003, 02:43 PM   #2

LaynesADDICTI0N HB User
Re: suboxone withdrawal symptoms #2

I was on the drug for 1 and 1/2 months, about 7 weeks at about 24mg. The doctor told me if I wanted to stay on subox I had to stop my klonopin, now everyone who is on this drug knows you cant STOP taking Klonopin. He acted like a child and stated I knew more than him and I said fine ill stop the subox and he refused me any more refills. The next day I was kinda dizzy but it didnt seem all that bad plus I was still looking for a new doctor. By day 2 I was white with a shade of yellow and my eyes were firing red. I could not stop vomiting and all I can remeber were my lips shaking from feeling so cold. I had to get carried into a rapid detox until I was stable on methadone after 3 days and 14 shots of Phenergan later.

Just my experience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2003, 04:48 PM   #3
(female)

konniep HB User

What kind of drug is this?! I feel sooo sorry for you!

Old 11-24-2003, 05:42 PM   #4
Inactive

Bodymechanic HB User

I too am very discouraged after reading some of the accounts of suboxone. And this is only the beginning, soon there will be thousands more. Last year there were 2 suboxone doctors in my state. The last time I checked there were nearly 40 prescribing doctors. I started on suboxone after being told it would "heal my brain receptors" after years of opiate use. I have been taking suboxone for one year I am certain I have only traded one addiction for another. At this point I am hoping getting off will not be as bad as I think it could be. This is a long acting opiate like methadone. My biggest fear is that a suboxone detox or taper will take just as long and be just as hard as a methadone detox. I am thinking of tapering off of 8mg of suboxone over a 1 year period. Does anyone know for sure if it needs to take that long? I am too old to go through another long and difficult withdrawal.

Old 11-24-2003, 06:18 PM   #5
Inactive

John 808 HB User

LaynesAddiction,

That is my dilemma- my doctor said absolutely NO to my Xanax. I even had my psychiatrist fax all his info regarding my anxiety issues and proof that I never take more, always less, than prescribed. ( My psychiatrist "counts"/keeps up with my Xanax.) My sub doctor still said NO and gave me two to four weeks to get off it and that has been impossible. Not because of withdrawals, because of severe anxiety. I will probably be losing my sub doctor too and I am going to be left with about 30 8mgs tablets to work with. The only other sub doctors work for my sub doctor or live hours away. I am about to be facing a tapering situation and I really dread it. Any suggestions? Thanks ya'll and the best to you, Layne, and everyone else in their everyday battles. God bless,

Michelle

Old 11-24-2003, 07:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

why not keep the xanax a secret for the sub dr cause if he finds out all he will do is cut ya off anyways and he most likely will never find out-spark

Old 11-25-2003, 10:37 AM   #7
Inactive

John 808 HB User

Spark,
When he does my urine test, he told me he would be testing for benzo's! I don't know if he is saying that to "scare" me or he really will. The last couple of tests, he knows it would test positive for benzo's because he gave me a little time to come off of them, but I don't want to. Please don't get me wrong in that I DO NOT abuse this drug- it merely keeps my anxiety in tow and allows me to be more patient and function ALOT better- bottom line! Like I said, I have a feeling I will be forced to taper with the few remaining subs I have left???? Happy Thanksgiving and best of luck to you with your taper (the sub). My thoughts and prayers are with you,

Michelle

Old 11-25-2003, 12:58 PM   #8
Inactive

mouse62 HB User

That sounds criminal. To tell someone to just stop taking a benzo. Everyone knows that you can die if you stop suddenly, while if you taper slowly, you can minimize the withdrawals. How could the doctors not let you go on a slow taper for the benzos? Or, if your psychiatrist says you need them, how can these sub drs. overrride that?

Old 11-25-2003, 01:01 PM   #9

LaynesADDICTI0N HB User

what makes me very angry is that they leave you high and dry, if you cant get off the xanax then you have no option to try to recover. Thats, BS, the moron was readng the dsmr while I was taking to him. That explains it all.....

Old 11-25-2003, 02:09 PM   #10
(female)

KIMBEE HB User

Heye everyone, I went to mt doc. yesterday and reassured me that coming off of Suboxone was fairly easy. He said as long as you do a slow taper every thing goes really smooth. He also believes this is a drug you should take for as long as you need to. He made me feel so much better. I have done the Methadone route before and the taper was pretty intense, he said the Sub. was much much easier. He just said dont worry about anything. I do have faith in him, so I am gonna enjoy the way I feel when I take the Sub. which is clean,honest,my dignity is back, my family likes the new me. I have not felt this good about myself in years. I feel like I have a second chance. So I hope this eases some fears on this board. He said absolutly Suboxone is easy to taper as long as you do it right.

Old 11-25-2003, 02:25 PM   #11

Wakingup HB User

Hi everyone,
I've been lurking a lot, but wanted to post because I have some experience with this topic.

My Doc also reassured me that coming off suboxone was very smooth and easy, as long as I tapered the right way. Well, sad to say, this was not true for me. I followed the taper instructions exactly, was only on it one month, and it was very, very awful to withdraw from. I was frustrated because I paid $900. for the month detox with suboxone, and while I felt fine when I was on it, going of hydro cold turkey would have been hard, but at least it would have been over in a week. With suboxone, the half life is so long that it takes longer to fully go through the nasty wds from it. This was just my experience. Everyone is different, so perhaps for some people the wds are easier.

I also wanted to comment on why Docs say to not take benzos with suboxone.
A study that was done in France (I think it was France, might have been Canada) showed that high doses of xanax taken with buprenorphine led to death. My Doc said a low dose of a benzo while on suboxone was ok, but not a high one. If you do a search on the web you might be able to find the results of this study, I did find it on the web once to prove to myself it was true, but I've lost the url. Just search for xanax and buprenorphine, or benzodiazepines and buprenorphine.

I hope this helps!

Old 11-25-2003, 03:26 PM   #12
Inactive

John 808 HB User

Question- we have been talking about mixing benzo's and sub and I explained in an ealier post that my sub doctor did not want me to take my Xanax with the sub. I failed to tell ya'll that he said it was illegal to take ANY controlled substance with the sub. Is that true? Has any others doctors told them this? I would really like to know if this is accurate? I know alot of people on the board that do take a small amount of some type of benzo with their sub, so how could it be illegal? My doctor runs his own rehabilitation center and it has a very good reputation and he if the "head guy-" just wondering if this may be a scare tactic though???

Michelle

Old 11-25-2003, 03:31 PM   #13
(female)

KIMBEE HB User

My best friend also takes Suboxone. Ww have the same doc. and yesterday he wrote her a script for Klonopin. I am not sure of the mg. So I am assuming it is legal.

Old 11-25-2003, 03:31 PM   #14

Wakingup HB User

I have yet to see anywhere, or be told by my Doc, that taking a benzo with suboxone is illegal. The FDA did not make it illegal to take any other controlled substance with suboxone. They did put in a disclaimer saying that it was possibly dangerous to take it with benzos, and that some deaths were associated with high doses of xanax mixed with buprenorphine in addicts that were using buprenorphine IV.

As far as I know, there were no reported problems or deaths with people taking subutex or suboxone sublingually who were also taking a benzo. My Doc had me on a small dose of Valium while I was on suboxone for the first three days.

So no, I don't believe it is illegal.

Old 11-25-2003, 03:36 PM   #15
(female)

KIMBEE HB User

Michelle, what did your doc. say about the withdrawls from Suboxone? And how long do you plan to stay on it? Just curious.

Closed Thread