It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2003, 08:27 AM   #1
Inactive

Bodymechanic HB User
Healing brain receptors

I started taking suboxone nearly a year ago. Before that I was drug free for nearly 3 years until I started using ultram for pain. This started the addiction cycle again. When I first saw the doctor I was told that the buprenorphine would bind to a certain set of receptors in the brain preventing withdrawals. At the same time, it would allow other receptors time to heal and regenerate themselves. I was told that the process would take about 18 months to two years. I am desparate to find a treatment for at least the biochemical aspect of this disease. Does anyone know if this brain receptor story is true? Did I simply buy into another "help the addict" scam.

Last edited by Bodymechanic; 11-25-2003 at 08:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2003, 09:42 AM   #2
(female)

Wakeupcall HB User
Re: Healing brain receptors

Dear Body,

I have read about our receptors needing time to heal. Actually, it does makes sense. All the time we are taking the pain meds, it is causing us to be feelinging less. There are a lot of topics on this...Actually, I just started one the other day regarding suboxone and our personal lives...I have also read and learned thru counseling that it does take up to 2 years to get that back. To be able to feel again. Personally, I have been taking suboxone for about 8 weeks. I feel good, energy, I want to get up and go. I just am having a problem w/my personal life. So, I hope I answered your question. I have read, and learned the same thing from counseling. Good luck...Shell

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2003, 11:26 AM   #3
Inactive

John 808 HB User

Hi!

My sub doctor said basically the same thing you are saying, except, he said I should be able to taper off the sub within a year. I think it depends on your habit, doctor, etc. on the "time line" given. Good luck to you. Happy Thanksgiving,

Michelle

Old 11-25-2003, 02:08 PM   #4

LaynesADDICTI0N HB User

receptors get depleted not "hurt". Thats why addicts end up getting neurological diseases as they age.

Old 11-26-2003, 07:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

chefob1 HB User

i was on bupenorphine for years...the receptors your refering to come from the mu and kappa region of your brain....opiates bind on the receptors and give you the euphoric feeling...when they are stimulated daily with the opiates they get accustomed to them....when you stop using the receptors go into a frenzy and flair up...hence you get w/d's....bupenorhine will sit on the receptors a long time(drugs half-life)when you take a different opiate the bupe doesnt want to get kicked off the receptor and doesnt let the other opiate do its work....thats why you dont feel the effects of other opiates for awhile after taking bupe...there are other receptors in thiese areas of your brain that let ,hydrocodone for example cling to...these receptors get awakened.....after awhile the bupe helps those receptors go to sleep and slowly repair their genetic make-up...if you start to take opiates again these receptors awaken and the cycle of addiction starts all over again.......

Old 11-26-2003, 11:38 AM   #6
(female)

Wakeupcall HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaynesADDICTI0N
receptors get depleted not "hurt". Thats why addicts end up getting neurological diseases as they age.

I have never heard of that. What type of neurological disease?? Shell

Old 11-26-2003, 02:46 PM   #7

LaynesADDICTI0N HB User

It's c*** i read in parm school, Picks disease, parkinsons... who knows all I know is ive been a heroin/cocaine addict since I was 14 and i still feel the same way i did 10 years ago. Ive been on methadone and bup back and forth. I'd rather die of old age.... I hope chef is right...

Closed Thread