It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2003, 07:59 AM   #1

Leadsinger777 HB User
Question I'm addicted to Afrin Nasal Spray

I have been using Afrin regularly for about 9 months. I started using it because it openend my nasal passages wide and helped me to sing better. Now I have to use it 3-4 times a day to breathe. I tried to stop it only to be unable to breathe at all. A few days went by and I finally crumbled. I had to use it again. I couldn't sleep or talk. I was miserable.
I carry one bottle in my pocket, keep one at work and I even have one in my gym bag for fear that it will wear off and I won't be able to breath again. It is that uncomfortable.
I need some help to be able to breathe again without the use of Nasal Spray. Anyone know what I can do?

Signed,
Rick

Old 12-05-2003, 09:25 AM   #2
Inactive

Happy Father HB User
Re: I'm addicted to Afrin Nasal Spray

I'd go see a Doc ASAP: You may have develpoed some type of Ashtma, or ask that question on the Ashtma board?.................Wow never heard of being addicted to nasel spray......Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2003, 11:07 AM   #3

Wornout HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Father
I'd go see a Doc ASAP: You may have develpoed some type of Ashtma, or ask that question on the Ashtma board?.................Wow never heard of being addicted to nasel spray......Good luck.
Guy,

I've been there. Funny thing. It was with Afrin also. I finally went to the doctor and he gave me some kind of steroid inhaler. I didn't like it for one thing and for another I felt it didn't work. What worked for me was just quitting and give it a little time. As I recall it was a couple of weeks.

Kim

Old 12-06-2003, 03:54 AM   #4

stormy79 HB User

that's happened to my husband. it turned out he had a deviated septum and needed surgery, which he had...but in the meantime, he DID get addicted to afrin...what i did was put saline in his afrin bottle. he didn't know the difference. it will shrink your nasal passages just the same. it's what i use when my allergies kick up. i don't like afrin. it makes my eyes pop out. i don't do well with any meds like that. and DO see your doctor becuase i think if you overuse it, you can get high blood pressure from it. my husband did.
good luck
stormy

Old 12-09-2003, 09:18 AM   #5

Leadsinger777 HB User

Want to thank everyone for their responses.
I guess that might explain my irrational moodswings... high blood pressure... who would have known that oculd be caused by nasal spray.
Anyway, I will have to talk to a Dr. I am aware that I have a deviated septum, but I wa always able to breath partially. Now that I use Afrin it's gotten worse.
It is so horrible to be dependent on this medication to sleep, talk, function.
I have tried the saline option, but it's not working at all.

Thanks again,

Rick

Old 12-09-2003, 12:01 PM   #6
(female)

ab123 HB User

My husband is addicted too. There are 3 bottles in the house and one in my purse. His mom and sister also use it on a regular basis. He was even surprised when he met me that I have never used it. Crazy. His mom gave it to him years ago when he had a cold. I will never give my kids that. Not after watching him!!

I try to get him to just stop. But he says if he does, he would die cause his nose closes up that bad.

I had no real point, just wanted to share.

Amy

Old 12-09-2003, 12:08 PM   #7

Leadsinger777 HB User

Yeah. I have that exact problem. Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-10-2003, 10:06 AM   #8

randee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadsinger777
Want to thank everyone for their responses.
I guess that might explain my irrational moodswings... high blood pressure... who would have known that oculd be caused by nasal spray.
Anyway, I will have to talk to a Dr. I am aware that I have a deviated septum, but I wa always able to breath partially. Now that I use Afrin it's gotten worse.
It is so horrible to be dependent on this medication to sleep, talk, function.
I have tried the saline option, but it's not working at all.

Thanks again,

Rick
Hi Rick,
See an ear,nose and throat doctor, ASAP. I think you mentioned high blood pressure? Tell him if you have high blood pressure, it's something he must be advised of since so many OTC and prescription meds are not recommended for people with high blood pressure. I have high blood pressure, take medication. I recently learned that OTC sinus and nasal sprays can affect high blood pressure. Since afrin is sold over the counter it is rarely cross checked with other prescription meds. Typically you won't be advised of it's side effects, unless you really read all the warnings in the fine print, unfortunately few do,including myself (lol).
Best of luck-Randee

Old 12-10-2003, 11:19 AM   #9
Inactive

mouse62 HB User

My blood pressure has been good. But I am another Afrin "addict." Just to clarify -- it's not an addiction in the sense of abusing it for mind- or mood-altering purposes; it's just an unfortunate physical dependence, my nose gets 100% blocked just a few hours after last use. Nyquil didn't help at all as a substitute.

Old 12-10-2003, 11:34 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

I have known a few people who got hooked on nasal spray. You stop it by only using in one nostril so you can breathe. The when the nostril clears quit using altogether. Also do not drink milk it causes mucus in the nasal passages.

Old 12-10-2003, 12:22 PM   #11

Leadsinger777 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by randee
Hi Rick,
See an ear,nose and throat doctor, ASAP. I think you mentioned high blood pressure? Tell him if you have high blood pressure, it's something he must be advised of since so many OTC and prescription meds are not recommended for people with high blood pressure. I have high blood pressure, take medication. I recently learned that OTC sinus and nasal sprays can affect high blood pressure. Since afrin is sold over the counter it is rarely cross checked with other prescription meds. Typically you won't be advised of it's side effects, unless you really read all the warnings in the fine print, unfortunately few do,including myself (lol).
Best of luck-Randee
Someone mentioned it can cause high blood pressure. I don't think mine has been high perse, but I would say I have become more irritable. That could quite possibly be because I quite smoking marijuana regularly. It's hard to say.

Thanks!

Old 12-10-2003, 12:25 PM   #12

Leadsinger777 HB User

I think the one nostril at a time idea sounds like a great one. I have a deviated septum on one side, but I can breath a little through it. Guess I can stop that side first.

It is true I guess that this isn't an addiction as in the mental and physical sense of a high, but it is still a dependency on a drug. I will try this method and see how it fairs.
Definitely a good idea.

Thanks! This is the first "do it yourself" advice I have received.

Cheers!

Old 12-11-2003, 03:58 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

I think it is easy to get addicted to nasal spray, because of the rebound effect of the drug.

Old 12-11-2003, 12:00 PM   #14
Inactive

mouse62 HB User

Just wanted to say that I left my left nostril Afrin-free for almost 24 hours now and it is about 1/2 clear!!! Meaning I can breathe through it but takes a bit of effort still. I'll continue with Afrin only in right nostril for overnight, then see how tomorrow goes . . . maybe I can quit completely. Thanks for the great advice.

Closed Thread