It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2003, 11:47 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User
Question Suboxone Taper

I need some help. I do NOT have a good relationship w/my Sub doctor as he treats me like I'm an idiot and has flat out lied to me on several occasions. My question is can anyone/someone tell me how to taper from Sub as quickly as possible? I want off of this medicine just because I'm ready to try this without Sub. I've been on it since Dec 1st and I take 8 mgs a day. Anyone and everyone that has tapered can you please tell me exactly how you did it? I really want to stop taking this by 12-31 so that on Jan 1st I can start the year without any opiates in my body. Am I being nuts in thinking this can be done this fast? I have only been on the drug for 19 days. Please, anyone that can help please do so. It's truly been a wonderful drug, I'm just ready to make the next step.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2003, 01:41 PM   #2
(female)

KIMBEE HB User
Re: Suboxone Taper

I am so sorry you are having such a hard time with your doc. I feel so blessed to have a wonderful Sub doc. I have been thru two. I have to drive two and half hours, but hes worth it. My doc. said you have to go very very slow when coming off of Suboxone. I am afraid you are going to have some problems coming off that fast. I would also like to see if I could make it now that I have been on the sub. for several months. But I know the tapering process is gonna be a long one. Please be careful and try it as slowly as possible. Take care and good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2003, 01:51 PM   #3
Inactive

Bodymechanic HB User

As you already know, so much is unknown about this drug. Being on 19 days you may be able to just stop taking it, with mininmal withdrawals. If not, you will have to get off slow, very slow. The point is, if you are going to stop, do it now before the suboxone addiction really gets ahold of you.

Old 12-19-2003, 07:23 PM   #4
Inactive

John 808 HB User

Hey Banker,

You know I dislike my sub doctor as well~ I will be making a decision too as to find a new one and continue the sub or taper off. I am like you in that I want off. As Spark has said many times, the quicker you can get off the better. He is having a terrible time coming off the sub but has been on it a long time. His girlfriend just took it for a few days and came off of it with no problems. Spark, if you are reading, chime in with some advice as I don't want to speak too much for you. I think the longer you take it, the worse the withdrawals in coming off of it will be, but I think you need to taper slowly. The sub stays in you body 36 hours, so you may want to go to taking it every other day...that is what I am doing. Not too bad! (But you know I did take the ten hydro's over the last weekend.) Maybe you and I can "work together" and support one another and make each other accountable~ ya know? If you discover anymore good info, let me know. Good luck in your decision and I will be there for you in anyway I can! My prayers are with you, girl! Happy Holidays,

Michelle

Old 12-20-2003, 09:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

it will be hard to taper over that amount of time but it can be done if you really want to.start cuttin down 2mgs per week and see what kind of discomfort you have.i think it is a good idea wantin to get off the sub as quik as possible,but you may want to taper longer to avoid w/ds.i been on sub since may 1st,16mgs to start and have tapered down to 0.5mgs per day and seem to be stuck there.tried to quit takin it but the w/ds are to much to handle and they last for weeks and seem to only get worse.i tried to take the sub every other day and that does not work for me i have to take it every day.i got 2days left of sub and then im out and will not get anymore.if the w/ds get to bad i will take hydro for a few days to get the sub out of my system and taper off hydro.i know this sounds crazy and defeats the purpose but you will find out about the w/ds and how bad they are.i saked my dr the other day how many patients have used sub and stayed clean and he said so far none have been able to remain clean after quitin sub.this is somethin to think about as of all the people on the board here there is not one that has quit sub and stayed clean.my girlfriend had a hydro only habit of about 6-8per day and she took sub for ONLY one month and tapered off the sub and had no problems whatsoever.dont know if this means anything or not but it worked for her and she is the only one that i know of that has used sub and stayed clean after gettin off it.girl on here named stacyvictor was on sub before me,and she tapered just like her dr told her to and after 8-10 months she was down to 1mg per day and she went ct and said it was the worst w/ds she has ever been thru and she has done herion and iv use.after seven days of sufferin w/ds off sub she went beggin her dr to put her back on sub which he did.all this after taperin the correct way and still had to go back to sub.she called the maker of sub and they told her that once you start sub you are NEVER to stop takin it period,you take it for the rest of your life.if i had it to do over again and know what i know now i would use the catapres patch and all the other detox drugs aand just suffer for about a week and get it over with.to me if a person is goin to use maintence therapy you might as well go with methadone as it is much cheaper and easier to get.this is all just my thinkin and that does not mean that it is right but it is my experience with sub and ive been on it for 8months now-spark

Old 12-20-2003, 10:05 AM   #6
Inactive

Bodymechanic HB User

At this point from my own experience, I believe a detox off of suboxone will be at least as long, if not longer than methadone. With me, the taper down from 16mg to 8mg was very easy. In fact I felt better at 8mg than at 16mg. When I tried to go from 8mg to 6mg is when I started to have trouble. I waited 6 weeks for my brain to adjust to the drop. It never did. Now I am taking 7mg and I feel fine. I estimate that the taper down to zero will take not less than 18months. The only problem I have with that is the cost. This stuff is addicting and expensive as hell. The drug companies and doctors really hit a home run on this one.

I am also aware of the possiblility that I may be on this drug for life. This is obviously not the worst of fates, but it is not what I wanted or expected from this "miracle" drug

BTW: I can't believe I fell for this drug marketing line of crap. The drug companies used the same "non addicting" pitch with, pep pills (early name for amphetamines), heroin, methadone, ultram, ambien, valium and I'm sure a bunch of others.

Last edited by Bodymechanic; 12-20-2003 at 11:18 AM.

Old 12-20-2003, 10:56 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

I think the reason I want to stop taking it is because I just want to try and feel normal again. I overall, feel great on it but like everyone has said, I don't want to be on it the rest of my life even thought I probably could at this point since my insurance pays for all but $35 of it. I'm very lucky in that respect. What worries me is that I imagine in about 6 8 months, my sub doc will come and tell me that there is someone else that needs it and he's going to take me off of it and not taper me as slowly as i need to. Spark... when your girlfriend got off of it, how did she do it? Did she go down 2 mg a week after the 30 days or did she start doing that piece of it as soon as she started it? I think if I don't do it fast, this drug is going to be in my system longer which will make it even more difficult. Like Body said, since I've only been on it 20 days now... maybe it won't be too bad if I do it fast. I'm not scared of the withdrawals at this point since It hasn't even been three full weeks, I'm scared of a drug phsycosis as Chef has described before when he was in full withdrawals from it. So, I'm scared to just stop suddenly. I tried to call my doc on Friday to get his advice (although, when I started Sub, he told me the only withdrawals I would have when I stopped it was "a little runny nose and that's it... Nothing like Methadone". Can you guys believe that crap? Anyway, he's out of the office until Monday. But, I have to say that it has totally worked as far as me not wanting the hydros and I thought I was a hopeless addict that would never recover three weeks ago. Now, I feel like I can do it since I've been facing the world 'sober' (if I can call it that). I've been on 8 mgs the whole time and today I've taken 5 mgs and see if I can hold steady on that for a few days to see what happens. OR... maybe I'll try to skip tomorrow and see how I feel. You guys have all been wonderful and again, I would still be drugging it up if it weren't for all of you. To say thank you is an understatement. Not sure if you all realize that you literally save peoples' lives with your guidance and support. Hey... one more thing... What about stopping totally the Sub and waiting a day or two and then taking 20 mgs of Methadone for about a week. Would that be dangerous? I've done that before with hydros and I felt o.k. after taking them for a week. No withdrawals but i know Sub stays in longer...

Old 12-20-2003, 12:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodymechanic
At this point from my own experience, I believe a detox off of suboxone will be at least as long, if not longer than methadone. With me, the taper down from 16mg to 8mg was very easy. In fact I felt better at 8mg than at 16mg. When I tried to go from 8mg to 6mg is when I started to have trouble. I waited 6 weeks for my brain to adjust to the drop. It never did. Now I am taking 7mg and I feel fine. I estimate that the taper down to zero will take not less than 18months. The only problem I have with that is the cost. This stuff is addicting and expensive as hell. The drug companies and doctors really hit a home run on this one.

I am also aware of the possiblility that I may be on this drug for life. This is obviously not the worst of fates, but it is not what I wanted or expected from this "miracle" drug

BTW: I can't believe I fell for this drug marketing line of crap. The drug companies used the same "non addicting" pitch with, pep pills (early name for amphetamines), heroin, methadone, ultram, ambien, valium and I'm sure a bunch of others.
i agree with ya all the way body depending on the drug and habit that you had it may take 2yrs to taper off this stuff but i have never heard of this yet.i agree that it was marketed so us addicts would think of it as a miracle cure and it is by far not a miracle drug like all the internet sites said it was in the beginning.i would think taperin down 1mg per month would not be that bad,but either way the w/ds will be waitin for ya when you do decide to stop it completely.i wish you luck and i hope you have better luck with it than i have-spark

Old 12-20-2003, 12:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banker1151
I think the reason I want to stop taking it is because I just want to try and feel normal again. I overall, feel great on it but like everyone has said, I don't want to be on it the rest of my life even thought I probably could at this point since my insurance pays for all but $35 of it. I'm very lucky in that respect. What worries me is that I imagine in about 6 8 months, my sub doc will come and tell me that there is someone else that needs it and he's going to take me off of it and not taper me as slowly as i need to. Spark... when your girlfriend got off of it, how did she do it? Did she go down 2 mg a week after the 30 days or did she start doing that piece of it as soon as she started it? I think if I don't do it fast, this drug isi a going to be in my system longer which will make it even more difficult. Like Body said, since I've only been on it 20 days now... maybe it won't be too bad if I do it fast. I'm not scared of the withdrawals at this point since It hasn't even been three full weeks, I'm scared of a drug phsycosis as Chef has described before when he was in full withdrawals from it. So, I'm scared to just stop suddenly. I tried to call my doc on Friday to get his advice (although, when I started Sub, he told me the only withdrawals I would have when I stopped it was "a little runny nose and that's it... Nothing like Methadone". Can you guys believe that crap? Anyway, he's out of the office until Monday. But, I have to say that it has totally worked as far as me not wanting the hydros and I thought I was a hopeless addict that would never recover three weeks ago. Now, I feel like I can do it since I've been facing the world 'sober' (if I can call it that). I've been on 8 mgs the whole time and today I've taken 5 mgs and see if I can hold steady on that for a few days to see what happens. OR... maybe I'll try to skip tomorrow and see how I feel. You guys have all been wonderful and again, I would still be drugging it up if it weren't for all of you. To say thank you is an understatement. Not sure if you all realize that you literally save peoples' lives with your guidance and support. Hey... one more thing... What about stopping totally the Sub and waiting a day or two and then taking 20 mgs of Methadone for about a week. Would that be dangerous? I've done that before with hydros and I felt o.k. after taking them for a week. No withdrawals but i know Sub stays in longer...
banker she started out on just 8mgs of suboxone but after one week she went down to 4mgs then 2mgs and then just quit takin it all.she had no w/ds at all and i dont understand why.all this was done in 30days or a little less,so maybe that was it.i think that the longer we are on sub the more it gets in the bones and marrow and nerves just like any opiate and it is hard to get off of.i agree that i will be easier to get off of after only 20days but that depends on what drugs you where usin and what habit you had.i would not worry about a drug pschosis as this only happens if you are usin other opiates while usin the suboxone-spark

Old 12-20-2003, 12:56 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

I think I'm going to give it a shot. Michelle, we can definitely help each other do this. Although, are you sure you are ready to get off of it? Do you feel like you are definitely finished with hydros? At least, do you really, really want to be finished? I know I do, however, I can't say that I won't slip but I feel a lot stronger now about stopping for good than I ever have in the past. I just hope that's not the Sub talking for me... Let me know how you've been doing. I've had a busy weekend but thinking about pills is becoming something I do less and less.

Old 12-20-2003, 09:09 PM   #11
Inactive

John 808 HB User

Hey Banker,
I am glad you decided to come off the sub rather quickly~ from what I have been reading, the longer you take it, the worse it is!

Banker, it is like I was trying to explain to ya'll in another post...I WANT DESPERATELY to stop the hydro's, but my will power is zilch when it comes to them. Like, why did I just out of the blue call the dentist and get some called in? I scare myself. I am not trying to get too religious and push my faith on anyone, but I know I am not relying on God's strength. I haven't prayed for strength in days. I should know better than that! That makes me feel like there is this deep down feeling I don't want to quit. If I wasn't wasting money and hurting my liver...I would take them all the time. But, that is not reality. Do you think I need meetings or something. I can't do this by myself and for some reason I am not turning to God for His strength because I guess I am afraid I may find it. That sounds like I don't really want to quit I know...but I do so much! I am so sick of the lying and worrying and all the troubles that come along with abusing...I can't stand it! But I love the way they make me feel. I need help!

Banker, I am so glad you are doing good. You sound good and I am so proud for you. My husband just walked in and I haven't seen him all day so I'll check back tomorrow. God bless you and Merry Christmas,
Michelle

Old 12-21-2003, 12:28 AM   #12

synchro HB User

this is some pretty scary info i'm hearing here. i am on anywhere from 32 to 48mg at any given time. my doc wants to raise his monthly fee from $150 to $250! he is well aware of how hard it is to get off this stuff and is not very sympathetic. it's just plain evil. it is however better than being strung out on oxy and wondering where my next script or whatever is going to come from. opiate addiction is rough.

synchro

Old 12-21-2003, 06:46 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

mechelle sorry you are not doin to good but at least you are not abusin the opiates as in the past.how much suboxone do you have left and let us know your taperin schedule if ya got time.what does you man say about your situation and is he helpion ya or makin it worse.i have enough sub for one more day and then it is cold turkey for me.thinkin about gettin some hydros if it is as bad as it has been in the past.mechelle what do you think about the fact that everyone here who has been on suboxone for awhile had not been able to remain clean after subxone and have had to go back to sub for life or methadone or back to the oxys and hydros.my dr said that since he started treatin patients with sub all of them that are not takin it for life have relapsed and went back to usin and most didnt even finish the program.holler back-spark

Old 12-21-2003, 07:13 AM   #14
Inactive

sadsister HB User

Hi everyone..
This is pretty scary news.I'll give you my lil story and of course any feedback will be much appreciated.
Started sub in july after a 4 month relapse(having 2 yrs. off the opiates).
Tried to use sub as a detox med..3 week taper...came off-dead sick!
Relapsed again for 2 weeks ran back to sub dr..stabilised at 8 mgs and have now tapered to 4 mgs.
So- its 5 months...24 mgs..to 4 mgs..thats ok.
But where do i step off?
And thease sub docs know they got us over a barrell-and now its monthly visits and drug screens..raising fees etc.
Are we screwed or what?
Yes..the cravings are pretty nulled..usually id be climbing the walls..but im attached to this stuff-and its hard to come off..as it stays in the receptors for a long time.
Now what?Im afraid to come off this and not be able to function for a month.
When i relapsed i was craving the sub!!!
Is this a lifer situation?
Heather

Old 12-21-2003, 08:48 AM   #15
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

Heather,

During the two weeks when you stopped the Sub, how did you feel? Can you explain in detail if you don't mind? Also, how were you feeling when you relapsed? When you say 'craving the sub'... what does that mean? How does Suboxone make you feel? Also, no matter what, I'm proud of you for not taking any other opiates! I know it's hard to get off of this stuff... Spark - did your girlfriend have ANY WDs at all? Thanks to everyone!

Closed Thread