It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2004, 11:35 AM   #1

dsny HB User
Unhappy Vicodin withdrawal

Has anyone have any suggestions on what might help me?I'm getting bad withdrawal syptoms from abusing Vicodin and dont know how long this is going to last?I know this is my own fault and I am trying the best I can but this is becoming a real B****!Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2004, 12:04 PM   #2
Inactive

John 808 HB User
Re: Vicodin withdrawal

How long have you been taking them and how many?

The first 72 hours are normally the worst of the physical withdrawals. It is in your best interest to have some Immodium AD for upset stomach, Advil or Aleve for aches and pains, Benedryl for watery eyes and sneezing (and may help with sleep), if you can get your hands on a couple of prescriptions....1. Clonidine patch for the sweats and chills 2.Ativan, Valium, or Xanax for the shakes and just feeling like your crawling out of your skin, plus, they will help you sleep, and 3. Soma for restless legs. Take ALOT, I mean ALOT of hot baths in epson salt. And get some L-Tyrosine from the health food store and that will help with your energy level. Try to sleep through these as much as you can...if you can get these prescriptions, the Xanax (or whatever you get) and Soma will help you sleep alot!

Hang in there and post whenever you need to for support!

Oh! Try to make yourself exercise, too. I know it is the last thing you feel like doing, but it will help. Take care,
Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2004, 12:20 PM   #3
Inactive

kindaunwell HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnyken
Has anyone have any suggestions on what might help me?I'm getting bad withdrawal syptoms from abusing Vicodin and dont know how long this is going to last?I know this is my own fault and I am trying the best I can but this is becoming a real B****!Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi, dsnyken, And welcome to the Board !!!. You have come to the right place for Vicoden Withdrawals.....

First off, how many Vikes are you taking now per day, and for how long have you been using ???. Do you honestly have a medical problem now, or could you get by without taking pain killers ? And at what strenght are they ??

There are alot of people here who can help. And by you admitting your problem, its the first step towards recovery...

Keep on trucking, dsnyken

Kinda-unwell

Old 01-19-2004, 02:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

chefob1 HB User

aint it a stitch having w/d's from hydrocodone...expect a few weeks of discomfort,no sleep,diahrea,ect....itll end one day and remember,one pill is too much and a thousand isnt enough....chef

Old 01-19-2004, 02:17 PM   #5

dsny HB User

Thanks for all the advice!I was taking between 10 and 15 per day for the past 8 months.I started taking them for lower back pain and just got hooked.The main problem I have been having is the jumping out of my skin,and the diahrea.I flushed the Vicodin's that I had down the toilet yesterday because like I said I really want to stop but I have been second guessing myself on why I had to flush them all and not just taper off them.I will keep you guys updated but for now I have to lay down because I have a terrible headache.Thank you all for your support!!!!!!

Last edited by dsnyken; 01-19-2004 at 02:18 PM.

Old 01-19-2004, 03:16 PM   #6
Inactive

kindaunwell HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnyken
Thanks for all the advice!I was taking between 10 and 15 per day for the past 8 months.I started taking them for lower back pain and just got hooked.The main problem I have been having is the jumping out of my skin,and the diahrea.I flushed the Vicodin's that I had down the toilet yesterday because like I said I really want to stop but I have been second guessing myself on why I had to flush them all and not just taper off them.I will keep you guys updated but for now I have to lay down because I have a terrible headache.Thank you all for your support!!!!!!

WOW!!,dsnyken, You flushed them down the toilet, huh ?? That takes alot of resolve to do. Now you have no choice but to continue your cold-turkey!! There are certain OTC meds, such as Imodium Advance ( TO help with the runs ), and tylenol PM that will help alittle to lower your blood pressure, thus making you alittle bit tired,to help you sleep. Have you spoken with your Doctor yet, and telling him what you plan to do ( Very important ). There are non-addicting meds he can prescribe for you that can lessen the effects of the W/D's. I'm not exactly sure which ones (names ), But I am sure some other people on this Board will give you the correct names.AS your Doctor, he should be very helpful and glad you are getting off this med....
I do know that alot of people say days 3 and 4 are bad, but day 5 is the worse !!! When you get past that , and I feel that you will, the physical pains should start to subside alittle each day on. But the "cravings" will still be very strong. Use your willpower to resist, exercise if possible,and try to keep your mind busy on other things. You will probably exhibit some insomnia (Look for me on the "night shift thread" as I will be there. I have a severe case of drug induced insomnia, and usually there is no rest for me late at night till the morning hours. You are free on this Board to somewhat "rant away" bable on, and pretty talk about anything you want to, as this is very theraputic for you , and alot of us have done so. also ,if you see a thread that intrests you, you are free to join in, as long as you don't try to "dominate" someone elses subject..

WEll take care, and post often with questions or just saying how you are feeling.......

Kinda-unwell

Old 01-19-2004, 03:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

chefob1 HB User

yeah you should have tapered but you are dealing with the enevitable.....i wish i just could hVE QUIT AFTER MY VIKE ADDICTION BUT GOT TURNED ON TO HEROIN,IT WAS CHEAPER,oops cap locked...then i tried to detox on bupenorphine,buprenex, which was injectable...then went all over the board with oxy's,anything i could get....now am back on methadone...swore i wouldnt touch it since 1984...was on it for 6 mths.....after 30 years youd think i could figure it out......chef

Old 01-19-2004, 03:53 PM   #8
Inactive

kindaunwell HB User

Hi Ya, chefob1

How is it going for you today?? I wanted to ask you, if there is a somewhat proven "wean-down" for Methadone, for people who went went from Heroin to the Meth. ??? And are the W/D's as bad as Vikes or oxy's.....

( Just a wondering )

Kinda- unwell

Old 01-20-2004, 06:41 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

chefob1 HB User

the proven method is to wean very slowly since it is a long acting opiate...it can be done with minimal discomfort...alot of myth to the "its the worst".....all opiates include the w/d's,mild or not....even when you wean slowly youll still have them....and to me all w/d's are the same...no sleep/diahrea/anxiety,ect......

Old 01-20-2004, 07:40 AM   #10

tomas1979 HB User

i gotta be honest with you, you will feel horrible. did you ever think of a detox? i was fine in detox but i was on methadone, fenabarb, seroquil, etc but i used for 2 years whats another 5 days if its gonna help. then after about 2.5 weeks i woke up one day and felt fine
good luck

Old 01-20-2004, 09:59 AM   #11
Inactive

Bodymechanic HB User

The easist way to detox off of vics is with suboxone. Use 2 mg a day for a week and then stop. It is that simple. The suboxone will make you feel good and you will be tempted to go beyond a week. Don't do it.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:06 AM   #12
Inactive

John 808 HB User

Just checking on you today!

How are you? What are your symptoms? Hang in there as it WILL GET BETTER! Don't cave and get more hydro's...just hang on a couple of more days and worst of the physical pain will be behind you.

Please let me know how you are,
Michelle

Old 01-20-2004, 11:43 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

chefob1 HB User

the easieast way is not neccessarily the suboxone route...suboxone is bupenorphine which is an opiate also...if you followed that advice you have only prolonged your withdrawals for one week....once you stop taking suboxone you will have w/d's...suboxone is a method of maintainance and detoxification and also serves as pain medication...i took bupenorphine for four years before it was available here in the states...it is used to treat heroin addiction in europe...as i stated you will have w/d's any way you go,severe or mild....check into your information wisely before you make any decisions regarding medication for detox purposes.....chef

Old 01-21-2004, 09:13 AM   #14
Inactive

Bodymechanic HB User

For probably the first time I would have to disagree with the Chef. Buprenorphine has been researched as a detox medication at John Hopkins, Harvard University and probably a half dozen other places. It is used widely here in Baltimore rehabs. It is an effective medication for detox and is not cross addicting with heroin, oxycodone, hydrocodone or similar types of narcotics. Chef is right in mentioning that there is no easy way out. Mess with narcotics and sooner or later you'll pay the price.

Old 01-21-2004, 10:27 AM   #15

ddanna HB User

Hi,

Michelle, do you have any input on the above...using the sub for a week and then getting off? I'm on a slow taper still but gosh, if it really would work, I'd pay for the appts and the sub for a week! I just wouldn't want to cause myself anymore mess. Can you post your thoughts. Thanks.

And, Rosie...have you had any thoughts of doing this?

Ddanna

Closed Thread