It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2004, 05:22 PM   #1
(female)

lovey1 HB User
suboxone withdrawal

Hi everyone.
It's been a looonng time since I have posted on this board, basically because I had been doing so well with my suboxone, I just didn;t make the time anymore. Anyway, I know there are some wonderful people on this board and hopefully one of you will respond to me as I have a terrible dilema that I have gotten myself into.
I have been taking suboxone since November, 8mgs a day, and have had really good results. At my last doctor's appointment in March, my doctor decided to reduce my sub to 6mgs a day, which was ok with me. My husband and I went on a trip to Mexico during the initial time I was to reduce my sub, and after about 3 days on the 6mgs, I started feeling mild w/d's so I went back up to 8mg and figured I'd call my doc when I returned home in a week. Well, guess what, I never called my doc (big mistake!!) and ran out of my sub about a week early. He had given me another script to be refilled but it wasn't time yet, so I called my doc's office and spoke to his nurse, and explained what I had done, I accepted full responsibility for it. She said she needed to talk to my Doctor and would call me back. When she called back she said that because I didn't follow my doc's orders I was being released from the program and that he would not be giving me anymore. This was on Thursday, and I have now been without my sub for 4 days. What a great Easter this has been.
Somebody please help me. I feel so bad and have no one to talk to about this. I'm actually feeling a bit like checking out for the first time in my life. I'm so sad and tired of this whole thing. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Mary Beth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2004, 05:29 PM   #2
(female)

everyday HB User
Re: suboxone withdrawal

Hi Mary Beth,
Sorry to hear about your Dr. what a jerk. Do not check out ! It has been four days since you had your meds? I wish I could help you with Sub. I do not know much about it. But I do know this you can't check out. you are young you have people who love you. hold on tight someone on the board should be able to tell you what to do. Stay strong.

Old 04-11-2004, 05:44 PM   #3

tryinmybest HB User

You have several options. I am curious as to how your feeling physically but that's another post. Call you Doc tomorrow and ask to see him tomorrow. Remeber, sub is for drug addicts. They tend to do things like relapse, take more than they should etc. It has something to do with the "addict" part of drug addict. This is complete BS. He should at least see you tomorrow and get you some sub. Maybe that means you must see him everyday for a week or so. The more I think about this, the answer is, find another Doctor. Find one that treats addicts, not some Psych that took a class and can write for sub. Years ago, therapeutic communities were the big thing. You could be there for years. Clean, making tons of progress etc. If you relapsed and either told them, or they found out, they didn't hook you up with detox or any help. They kicked you out right there on the spot to the street. Hard to believe people that treat drug addicts have no understanding of how addicts worked. There is a book out that chronicles this. The book is called, HOOKED. Good luck and if my experiences can help, just ask. Remember, these guys make tons of money off this whole sub thing.

Tryinmybest

Old 04-11-2004, 06:15 PM   #4
(female)

lovey1 HB User

Thanks so much for your quick responses. As you can probablyl understand, I'm feeling a bit under the weather and any words of encouragement will help at this point. Physically, I'm just very tired and emotional. I feel like I did when I w/d from the hydro. I just feel so very scared and don't quite know what to do next. Do I just continue to w/d from the sub or hope to find another Doctor who will see me in the next few days. I don't know who that would be by the nurse did give me the phone number to the DEA so that I might find another Doc (how very kind of her) of course they were closed for Good Friday!! Anyway, I know that I'm completely stuck.

Old 04-11-2004, 06:32 PM   #5
(female)

everyday HB User

lovey,
I wonder how the long withdrawal takes if anything like the hydro? It was been 4 days -are getting worst (physically)? are you able to sleep? Maybe this could be the worst of it? I will say a pray for you. Try to keep plenty of fluids in your body.(orange jucie , water) Hot Bathes

Old 04-11-2004, 06:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

You need to find another doctor that prescribes Suboxone TOMORROW! Go to the Suboxone website and see what docs in your area can prescribe it. Then call them and make an appt. for THAT DAY and if the nurse refuses, ask her VERY nicely that you don't care how long you have to wait in the waiting room, can they get you in to see him tomorrow. You won't die from withdrawals from Sub... I know you feel like hell, but just hang in there until you find another doctor. There is a chance that if you go to another doctor, they may not give it to you, OR - they may give you a smaller amount to help you wean off of it. Which is better than nothing. OR... they could just give you the 8 mgs and you will just have a new doctor. The average maintenance dose is 8 mgs but most docs give you whatever amount you need to keep the cravings away. Actually, that average may be 16... and then they decrease it if you feel like you need to. Anyway, please let us know what happens. I cannot believe your doctor would do that. If you have no success with these other doctors (even if you have to drive a couple of hours to get to one, then do it because as you know, it's worth it)... Anyway, if it doesn't work out, then go back to your original doctor and tell him that he absolutely cannot let you go into full blown sub withdrawals. Tell him that you WILL report him to the 1-800 Suboxone telephone number if he doesn't help you because in reality, he's not being ethical. However, you should have never made the mistake of not calling him when you got back. This was critical. Anyway, I'm sure you know that more than I do now. Also, if you absolutely have to (and if you do, be prepared for this doctor to NEVER treat you again) but tell them you will get an attorney if he doesn't help you because this is negligence. He can't just stop treating you 'because you didn't follow his orders'. You felt withdrawals when you went down to 6 mgs and that's the bottom line. Why did he drop you anyway? What is the problem? Is he trying to get you off of them completely and if so, why is he doing that?

Old 04-11-2004, 09:27 PM   #7
(female)

lovey1 HB User

I didn't get a chance to talk to my doctor, just his nurse, but she said that according to the very strict DEA regulations regarding this drug, he is required by law to drop me from that program b/c I took more than was prescribed. In all honesty, as much as I would like to be angry with him, I simply cannot blame anybody but myself. My only real resentment is with the fact that I was in near hysterics when she told me this, crying so hard I could barely get the words out of my mouth, and she still let me get off the phone. I felt that the least she could do was attempt to have my doc fill enough sub to get me through the weekend so that I could find a new doctor on Monday. I'm really quite shell-shocked about the whole thing. I don't mean to boo-hoo or anything but I finally felt like I was getting somewhere with this whole addiction mess b/c nothing else seems to have worked. I feel like I'm living this whole nightmare all over again and, frankly, I don't know if I have it in me this time.
In answer to your question as to why he wanted me off, I'm not really quite sure! But I did agree to try to taper down for now and see how it goes. His nurse also made the comment about how they are turning people away at this point because he absolutely cannot have any more than 30 people on the sub at the same time. She also said he be happy to still treat me for my depression issues, but just not with the sub. Isn't that a gas??

Old 04-12-2004, 02:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

That's B.S. This is what it is - he obvously wants to get some more people on it and you OFF of it. See, I spoke w/my doc about this and I flat out asked him if he was going to take me off of it, if someone walked in his door who he thought was in 'more danger' than I am, etc. etc. and he promises he would not. So far, and I thank God for this, he's been great. He gives me one prescription and two refills. Now he has told me that Sub was like Percocet and could not be called in for anything and that I would HAVE to come in to get a prescription??? Anyway, once every three months... you cannot beat that to stay away from lortabs. I really hope you find a doctor today. How are you feeling? Just in case I ever get in your situation? Do you mind sharing how bad the wds are? And I AM praying for you that you feel better and get help.

Old 04-12-2004, 04:43 AM   #9

kiddo3163 HB User

Mary Beth, I'm so sorry your having to go through this. I just joined yesterday, so I am new, but am no way new to dealing with addictions or withdrawels. They are awful and can definitely make you feel depressed, anxious and as you put it like checking out. Do you have a counselor you could speak to or have you thought about going in the hospital for detox. That doctor should not of left you hanging like that. People relapse that is a part of the addiction/recovery process. Not that what you did was actually relapse, but still. I think he is wrong for doing that. I hope you are doing better today.

Kiddo

Last edited by kiddo3163; 04-12-2004 at 04:44 AM.

Old 04-12-2004, 05:03 AM   #10

kiddo3163 HB User

Mary Beth, I found a web site that lists doctors by state that can prescribe suboxone or subutex. I am looking for a new doc for myself as well because mine charges me 200 bucks for every visit he writes a prescription and he only gave me a 3 day supply the first time and then a 10 day supply the second time. I can not afford this and it actually seems a little fishy to me. He also will only except cash. Hmmm. Anyway here is the web site, I hope it will help you:

[url]http://buprenorphine.samhsa.gov/bwns_locator/index.html[/url]

Last edited by kiddo3163; 04-12-2004 at 05:05 AM.

Old 04-12-2004, 06:07 AM   #11
Inactive

sadsister HB User

This is a crime-your doctor is playing God..i cant believe he could be so harsh- a 2 mg. differance.Come on..if you were not feeling well-and adjusted such a small amount..why?Why be so mean..and it is cruel.
I would try to reason w/ this doctor..
200.00 an appt..is an outrage(kiddo)..wow-there are some really sleazed out docs-preying upon the weak..huh?
My dr. charges 100.00 a visit(15 min)-and although he is slowly weaning me down-i believe he would not just yank me outta the program if i was not well-and used a little more for a wek-i did something similar w/ my benzos-and i got the dose adjusted-w/o hassle.
Good luck/and God bless!
I hope you can get this sorted!
heather

Old 04-12-2004, 10:21 AM   #12
(female)

KIMBEE HB User

I feel for you so badly, is there any other sub docs. in your area? That is just not accecptable! I am so thankful to have a doctor that is resonable in his prices and would never ever do something so coldhearted, have you tried talking to him in person? Maybe if you talked to him in person and explained the whole situation he would give you a second chance. I have never heard of any thing like this, its quite scary. No matter what happens I would definatly find another doctor, he doesnt have your best interest at heart. I hope you can find some help soon, lets us know how it goes. Good luck and hang in there.

Old 04-12-2004, 10:44 AM   #13
(female)

lovey1 HB User

hello everyone! Thanks so much for all of your kind words of encouragement. They have all helped more than you know. The w/d's dont' seem to be letting up on me and I'm day 5 of no suboxone and feeling worse than ever. I will not go to the extreme to getting some hydro to "help out" with the w/d's but it is so tempting. I have made an appointment with another sub doctor who I saw one time before seeing my current (or not so current) doctor for today at 4. The receptionist said he is seeing 110 patients today so you can see why I never went back but at this point I'm desparate. I will be calling my doctor later to day just to report to him what I am experiencing and probably will report him to the DEA. I mean, isn't the duty of any doctor "to first, do NO harm"? I'd say this guy doesn't really quite understand enough about the sub or he couldn't possibly have done this.
Anyway, I will update later this evening. Thanks again for all the love and prayers. I surely need them now!!
Mary Behth

Old 04-12-2004, 10:54 AM   #14
(female)

KIMBEE HB User

Oh I am so glad you have another doctor to go to today, I feel better already, hang on thats not much longer. I would definatly turn the other doc in to the DEA! It is his duty to take care of his patients not harm them, what a jerk! Day 5 wow your doing better than I would have, good for you for not using! Just hang in there you can do it. Good luck with your appointment. Let us know how it went.

Old 04-12-2004, 12:46 PM   #15

tryinmybest HB User

Mary Beth,

I guess I'm having a hard time believing some numbers. First, do you live in a large city? The Doc's are only allowed to treat 30 sub paitents at a time. My Doc has told me that fully 50% of the people that are first prescribed sub do not come back for there 2nd visit! In my city there are tons of Docs listed on the web site. The drug is barely even one year old. This is not like a meth clinic. No one has this many paitents on sub. My Doc was very cool. Called and asked if I could wait until tomorrow. Saw him and left with a script for 30 days worth. Was told if there was a problem and it wasn't enough, to call right away. Good luck.

TMB

Closed Thread