It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2004, 10:06 PM   #1

222ytigid HB User
Suboxone Use- Sever Pain And Numbness In Arms And Hands-please Help

I have been on Sub for about one 1/2 months, due to the use of Oxycontin abuse. The first week after taking the Sub, I woke up one morning with severe pain and numbness in my arms. My dose was lower and after about 4 days it subsided. There was only numbness on the tips of my fingers at times.

I was told to take no Sub for a week but could not do it, I only took it one day out of that week. I was started on four Mg Bid, and currently on 2mg Bid. Last night the pain came back to my arms, it happends when I go to sleep I will wake up frequently during the night with extreme pain that feels like a torch is being placed against my arms,(Ie; a burning sensation) so I get up and walk around, it takes about a good 2-3 hours until it subsides to a tingle and then to a numbness.

These symtoms went away for a good week, but since I have been taking my meds(sub 2mg Bid) everyday again, it has come back. The Doc that subscribes me the Sub, said he has never heard of this happening, and stated I should see a neurologist. Since I have no health insurance it is hard for me to keep seeing Doc's that have no idea about this happening or what the affects of the Sub can be, my primary care practician said it was Carpel Tunel, another stated that it only happends when people use (Oxycontin).

I haven't used in over two months, and the Sub works good, but this pain that is occuring is beyond real, it is so bad some mornings, that it hurts to the point were I cry uncontrolably, it makes it extremely difficult to perform daily activities such as brushing my hair, Taking A Shower,etc. It has made me affraid to sleep, I am missing days at work, I NEED HELP! If there is any info or suggestions, please post here, I need advice or an answer.

Thank You.

Last edited by 222ytigid; 04-11-2004 at 10:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2004, 10:34 PM   #2
(female)

lovey1 HB User
Re: Suboxone Use- Sever Pain And Numbness In Arms And Hands-please Help

I hope this helps a little, but I also experienced pain, tingling and numbness the very early stages of using sub. My pain was not as extreme as yours, however, it did eventually go away all together and especially when I was at a very low dose. I don't believe a neurologist is what you need, I would bet it has to do with the sub. I hope it begins to subside for you.

Old 04-12-2004, 03:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

I know that a side effect I have with Sub, and I take about 12 - 16 mgs per day but I feel pain almost every morning when I wake up and sometimes in the middle of the night. The pain varies, based upon what is REALLY stiff in the a.m.s. In other words, like if I don't move my legs much in the night, then I wake up and I have really bad pain in my legs, just until I get up and get moving and then it goes away. I know there are at least one other person on this board that gets really stiff and achey in the mornings but I do get it in the middle of the night too if my body is still for a really long time, or if I've been laying on my arm or whatever. It feels like a really bad cramp but not numbness... I don't think that's how I would describe it. I'm sure it's a reaction to Sub, based on what you have said. Sub is still a new drug and I'm not sure that docs know everything there is to know about it. I would say that if you are ready to get off of it, then you might consider doing that if these pains are more than you can take.

Another person on this board was going through Sub withdrawal and her arm went numb and started tingling really bad and she called her Sub nurse and they said her body could be going into 'SHOCK' and to take her Sub and when she did, the numbness and pain went away. I'm telling you, Suboxone is a very odd drug and people COULD experience all kinds of things. I also have really bad swelling in the mornings and feel very stiff. But it goes away so I'm fine. Plus, Sub has kept me from abusing drugs - I don't crave AT ALL so I take the good w/the bad.

Old 04-12-2004, 07:32 AM   #4
(female)

KIMBEE HB User

Do you think it might be the Naloxone that they put in the Suboxone? Maybe you could switch to Subatex and see what happens, just a thought , who knows it might work. Some peolple are really sensitive to Naloxone. Ask your doc. and see what he thinks, especially if its working so good for you. Good luck to ya!!

Old 04-12-2004, 07:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

Good point Kimbee... How are you doing, by the way? Your daughter?

Old 04-12-2004, 08:05 AM   #6
(female)

KIMBEE HB User

Hi Banker I am doing great other than weight issue. M y daughter is in therapy and doing lots better! I am so happy! I feel as though God has truly blessed me. I thank him everday for a drug like Suboxoxne that not only helps me with my addiction but also my depression as well. Now if this weight would just mysteriously dissaper I would be great! How have you been these days? I started walking last week (very sore today) hoping that will help some. I am just glad that I am not alone here with my opinion on the Suboxone.

Old 04-12-2004, 12:53 PM   #7

222ytigid HB User

Thank you! I was on Subatex at first and had no problems. I do believe myself that I am sensitive to the Naloxone. I did not take my sub at all yesterday or yet today, I feel good, and only had tingles and numbness this a.m., not any burning. Yet I had no control over useing a hair brush or to hold a glass of water. I am missing work again due to this.
I have contacted my doc, but have yet to hear from them. I am going to ask if he will put me back on the Subatex.
Does anyone get headaches that last more than a day? I never got headaches before and I since I have been put on the sub I get headaches for days at a time, is this normal?

Thank you!

Last edited by 222ytigid; 04-12-2004 at 12:59 PM.

Old 04-12-2004, 01:31 PM   #8
(female)

KIMBEE HB User

Yes, unfortuantly headaches are one of the side affects that I had, but they do subside. I found 800 mg. ibuprophen helped. I do hope the Subatex works for you. When will you be able to switch? Keep us informed as I am very curious if this will make a differance.

Old 04-12-2004, 02:38 PM   #9

tryinmybest HB User

Hello everyone,

Now that you mention it I have a low grade headache alot. I guess when you become an old druggy, you take alot of these things as just getting older. I haven't had any numbness or tingling. You got to believe that they aren't really too sure what to expect. Why else the 30 patient limit?

TMB

Old 04-12-2004, 04:50 PM   #10

222ytigid HB User

I will keep you informed. Thanks Kimbee, I would not have thought about going back to the subatex. I had no problems with that. I do not get a call from my doc today, he has been great in the past about calling me back too. I already have a appt, with him on Friday. But wanted to notify him of the hand and arm symptoms again. Hopefully the headaches will subside after a while. I am trying to take the good with the bad. Thank you to all again!!!!

Old 04-16-2004, 04:35 PM   #11

222ytigid HB User

Kimbee and others, I told you I would keep you informed. I went to the doc.'s to day and asked him about being put back on the subatex, he told me it would not be helpful in my recovery process. It has a different affect on the opiates in the brain. I am on a close watch due to the side affects I have had, but since Monday I have had no problems. Thank you again for all your info and help, it has been very helpful.

Old 04-16-2004, 05:50 PM   #12
(female)

KIMBEE HB User

I am so glad you have kept us posted, I have been wondering if you have have had any luck. I am so sorry that the Subutex wont work. Thats good that they are keeping you on a close watch, just in case. I am also glad you have not had any more problems since Monday, maybe now everything is going to be ok. Good luck with any decision you decide to make! I hope things work out well for you.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:26 PM   #13
(female)

voneiger HB User

Did you ever find out if your symptoms were related to suboxone. I have recently started taking it and am experiencing the exact same thing.

Closed Thread