It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2004, 07:12 AM   #1

Neuromind10 HB User
opiate addict and medication regiment

Hello, all. Im an opiate addict, was using oxycontin for about 8 months. I got up to like 6 40mg a day snorting them. 2 months ago, i was sick of being sick and tired. I researched some things and found a new drug called suboxone. Unlike methadone, there is no high and not addicting like such.
So, i found a doctor who is authorized to perscribe suboxone , ya like 40 miles away, actually i like him. He is very undestanding and listens to me. He persribed me suboxone 8mg 3x dailiy along with clonodine .2mg . My next visit, he Lowered the dose, to 8mg 2x daily, then i told him about add, and he gave me an add sheet. I filled out the test. He told me , i suffer from ADD, and perscribed me adderall 20mg 2x daily. Wow, it really helped me. Im more focused, motivational, social, ect. BUT im not high, nor am i abusing such.
I suffer from refractory depression, social phobia, anxiety, sleep disorder and drug addictin ( mainly opiates ). I dont like speed or cocaine.

I do have a doctor alot closer, who is my primary care Doc. He does not know much about addiction, but i told him about my depression and anxiety. He perscribed me Lexapro 10mg, (note i was on zoloft 100mg for 2 yrs, with good results, but i wanted to try this new med, zoloft has nasty sexual side effects). He also perscribed me Klonopin 1mg 3x daily. Even though im an addict, i dont abuse benzos nor adderall, which are addictive. Im only addicted to opiates, and was a borderline alcoholic. But i havent drank nor want to in months.

My main point is, these medications help me with motivation, depression, anxiety, sleep, opiate cravings, alcohol cravings, and i can get out of bed and do things. Without these meds, i know i would either be using or just laying around doing nothing. Yes, i do go to na/aa meetings. They do help, but a combonation of meetings, support, medication, you could stay clean. Yes, i do get cravings, especially when a friend calls me and says he has a bunch of oxys. But i now that if i use opiates, the wont work because suboxone blocks opiates. Its a god send drug for addicts that dont want methadone, but want to get off opiates. I totally wipes out all withdrawls for me, and makes me feel normal. It also has antidepression effects noted in a pdoc book.

Any opinions or questions, please respond.
neuromind10

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2004, 09:05 AM   #2
(female)

KIMBEE HB User
Re: opiate addict and medication regiment

Neuromind10, I am also on Suboxone and feel exactly the same as you. It has been the best antidepressant I have ever been on, and I have tried them all! And I have stayed clean for 8 months now and feel so free! I am happy for you, I like hearing sucess stories. I have had this monkey on my back so long that it fells good to feel again. I am so clearheaded now. Every one says how much happier I seem. I am so glad its working just as well for too. You mentioned that you have been going to meetings, ya know I really dont feel as if I need to go at this time, as I am doing so well without them. I sometimes wonder though if maybe I should go to some meetings, I feel a little guilty feeling this good. I just feel so normal.How long have you been on the sub.? You mentioned having to drive 40 miles to your doctor, I have to drive out of state for mine. But its worth it to me. Its great to have a doctor that you like. Keep up the good work, you sound great!

Old 04-20-2004, 10:48 PM   #3

Neuromind10 HB User

ya, Suboxone is a life saver when coming off opiates. I thought id be ending up on methadone. But suboxone totally eliminates withdrawls, and sometimes gives me a twinkling of a buzz. But that could be because im on a few other meds.
Again i also take Adderall 20mg 2x a day. It works great along with suboxone for modivation, also hels with depression, gives me the drive to do things instead of laying around. Some say adderall is very addictive. But for me, speed isnt my thing. I take the dose recommended for the results i want, which is more focus, motivation etc. I know if i took 40 or 60mg, id be shaking with anxiety, and i dont wanna go there.

I take Klonopin 1mg 2x daily to combat any anxiety, esp generalized anxiet or social anxiety. It doesnt sedate me at this dose. Actually i lowered the dose to .5mg to see if it will be sufficient. Taking such 3 x daily. 1Mg sometimes makes me too tired, unless i take some adderall.

These 3 above medications do wonders for my addiction and make me feel normal and outgoing again. Without them, id be still using, or just laying around being sick and stuff.

Im also on lexapro.10mg. I just started it, and i want my doc to up the dose. Lexapro is a revised version of celexa with less side effects. Well see as i remain on it. I was on zoloft 100mg for 2 yrs, i worked fine, but still didnt do anything for my social phobia, nor kept me from using. JUst made me emotionally numb and no sex drive.

My remaining medication is for sleep called ambien. I have a problem getting to sleep. Ambien is perfect for people who cannot fall asleep. I was on remeron, which sometimes it took 2 hrs for me to fall asleep, i got really hungy and at like a pig, and the next day i was still sedated. With ambien, you seem to wake up 6 hrs later and no groggyness.

Well there you have it. Ya it may be a bit too many meds, but everyone has its benifits and works in a different way for my mental health. Esp keeping my addiction at bay. When i feel depressed, panicy, antisocial, ,is when i want to use.

Thank you and post more
neuromind

Old 04-21-2004, 01:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

chefob1 HB User

neuro....suboxone is a opiate also.....so you never came "off"opiates you started taking one that effects the mu part of the brain differently...thats why its a "miracle"drug...reference to when folks stop taking oxy or hydro and start taking bupenorphine...youll need more than just the meds to beat opiate addiction...chef

Old 04-21-2004, 05:16 AM   #5
Inactive

sadsister HB User

Hi neuro-
Im happy to hear you found out about sub and its working for you.
Its important that each person be respected to choose there own program of recovery-and i salute you!
Some may argue that you are still on opiates/like methadone this is in a sense a 'holding pattern' in your road to recovery-but for those who are chronic relapsers/long time addicts-and do not feel they can get any real 'time'-clean-this is a godsend.im thankful for an oppurtunity to get off the h-and be a functioning person again-w/o the heavy depression/lethagy/illness.
I really care about this board-and the people who come here seeking guidance/freindship/support-cos we are all in the same boat-just trying to find a way out of the drug life.
I always picked up again-after being sober for a time-cos of the mental illness associated w/ kicking.This removes all that angst-cos it is an opioid-some may feel that i don't care about being truly sober-thats not the point of this program.This is a maitainence med-for people who need to get there life back in order-after years of relapsing/and gives you a chance to feel what its like to live w/o having to seek/get/do drugs illegally and also a chance for some peace.
Good luck w/ the sub-many people here-are doing this treatment and are living life again.
Heather

Old 04-21-2004, 07:57 AM   #6

User 205000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromind10
ya, Suboxone is a life saver when coming off opiates... suboxone totally eliminates withdrawls, and sometimes gives me a twinkling of a buzz... i also take Adderall 20mg 2x a day...I take the dose recommended for the results i want... I take Klonopin 1mg 2x daily ... Actually i lowered the dose to .5mg to see if it will be sufficient. Taking such 3 x daily. 1Mg sometimes makes me too tired... unless i take some adderall... Im also on lexapro.10mg... I was on zoloft 100mg for 2 yrs...My remaining medication is for sleep called ambien... Ya it may be a bit too many meds
Neuro, you sound like a walking chemistry set. I cannot believe your doctor would allow you to do this to yourself, as it sounds like you are doing a substantial amount of self-medicating. I'm sorry, but I'm with the chef on this one.

Old 04-21-2004, 08:46 PM   #7
Inactive

herbal HB User

Be careful with the Adderall, 'cause soon it will lose it's effect, and you might find yourself upping the dose. Yeah, you say speed isn't your thing, but addiction is addiction. I ran into trouble with Adderall myself. It was hell, but I'm over it now. I use opiates, but there is no addiction. I mainly use it to ease my pain I have due to a cyst on my left testicle. My doctor prescribes me Ultram. It is not a narcotic, but it has mu-opioid action. Along with action on serotonin and some other chemical.

BE CAREFUL, PLEASE>
I WISH YOU THE BEST

Old 04-22-2004, 04:47 AM   #8
(female)

KIMBEE HB User

herbal. Be very careful with Ultram it is very addicting! There are many here to attest to that. The withdrawl is just as bad as any other opiate. Its a tricky little drug, it will sneak up on ya. Just be careful.

Closed Thread