It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2004, 11:56 AM   #1
(female)

south249 HB User
Started Suboxone Today

I took my first dose of 8mg. suboxone today at noon. I can not begin to tell you how wonderful I feel. I never dreamed I could feel so good without taking vikes. This is a miracle drug for me, I can tell it already, no cravings nothing, just feel so good. If anyone else is on this can you please tell me how it has worked for you, how long you have been on it etc. I am to take 1-8mg. twice a day, does that mean every 12 hours, or 2 at once. Any help would be appreicated. Has anyone had any side effects. The only thing I noticed is that salt tastes like sugar to me, is that weird or not? I love eating lemons and salt, but today it tasted sweet. Well any info would be so appreicated.

south249

Old 04-20-2004, 12:16 PM   #2

sammi HB User
Re: Started Suboxone Today

Hi South249, I have been taking Suboxone now for 5 weeks. I too agree, it is a miracle drug for myself. I take two 2mg tablets in the am. This seems to be working just fine for me. I would call your prescribing Dr and ask him if he wants you to take them both at the same time or at different times.

Good luck with the Suboxone and I'm glad to hear that it is also working really well for you. Hopefully Banker and some of the others will also respond being they have been on it for much longer than I have.

Sammi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2004, 01:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

chefob1 HB User

hey south...i was on bupenorphine for 4 years...they had me in a outpatient program as a guinea pig so the govt would let you take the med....my doc 4 years ago was gettin it shipped from europe.....i was injecting it intermuscular...one ampule was equal to about 10mg....now theyve got the suboxone and subutex....i dont think too many folks would like to go from the pills to a needle......it kept me strait though but ive got other problems...chronic back along with addicition so i am back on methadone for maintance until i can afford to have a neuro deal w/my back...........a reality check though....humble yourself a little....suboxone is still a opiate...it makes you feel good just like a opiate....its a drug....if you were to stop takin it today youll have w/d's in a day or so.....when it comes time for you to think about not taking any narcotics anymore youl have to wean off slow....take a couple days to stabilize and take it as directed...some docs say to take the whole days dose at once...others say split it up....it has a ceiling effect so dont think about trying to take three,youll just be wastin the one other one...i made that mistake a few times....make sure to add to your recovery program additional support...ie...a/a/ or n/a...it works if ya work it...dont touch other opiates while takin the suboxone...itll interfere with your receptors...i also tried that one and went into a drug physcosis........god bless ya and work on sobriety..............chef

Old 04-20-2004, 03:04 PM   #4
Inactive

Twinlynn HB User

South - I'm sure you'll also hear from Banker, a Sub. taker, who feels it saved her life. She's an extremely kind poster and shares whatever info she can--whether it's how she was able to cope with her emotional life once the Sub. stopped her cravings--or whether she's sending a "virtual" hug, telling me not to worry about my sick dog!! So, watch out for her posts (along with many other wonderful people.) So glad you are already feeling better. :-) Lynn

Old 04-20-2004, 03:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefortoday HB User

South . . . good for you for taking steps to get into recovery and live a clean and happy life!

My husband has been taking Suboxone for almost 10 months and is doing great. For our family it has been a miracle drug as well. He had relapsed so many times, been in and out of treatment centers, etc. and this drug has helped him feel "normal" and able to work his 12-step program without craving and "white-knuckling" it. He was able to stay clean a couple of years ago for 14 months but still craved and obviously started using again. It's now been almost a year on Suboxone and it, accompanied with AA, NA, 12 steps and a great sponsor and doctor have helped him immensely. He will probably stay on Suboxone for the rest of his life. Life has never been better for us right now.

Suboxone is not for everyone and in IMO definitely not for short-term use. Good luck to you in your journey to stay clean!

Just wanted to add that he is taking 24mg/day (has been for a while) and takes it all in the morning. That's what his doctor recommended and so far so good.

Last edited by Hopefortoday; 04-20-2004 at 04:02 PM.

Old 04-20-2004, 04:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

South - hi - I am taking about 12 - 16 mgs per day of Suboxone. It HAS saved my life. I was like you - I was elated the first few days I took it because I couldn't believe at how little I thought about actually abusing drugs. There have been many times when someone has tried to give me handfulls of lortab 10s and I've said 'no thanks' With the Sub, you don't feel a high and that's a good thing because you actually FEEL which is something we all know we do not do while taking opiates where you DO get high.

I'll be honest with you - for the first few days, you will feel physically and emotionally wonderfully - however, once you take a look at your life, what you've done to relationships while abusing drugs, etc... the depression might kick in. It usually does with anyone who stops pain pills... no matter how they do it. When I started Sub, I also started lexepro and I believe once that kicked in (after about a week or two) then my depression got better and I have been able to rebuild my life, including my relationships with my three children, work people, I could go on and on. Now, it also made me look at my relationship w/my boyfriend and start asking questions about where we were and where we were going. We ended up breaking up (which I'm still sad about) but what is really amazing is that I'm actually able to feel the pain from the break-up and I'm dealing w/it. It HAS saved my life.

There are side effects which include (and you may not get any of these) but unfortunately, weight gain is one, and then you will have some aches in the a.m. for a few minutes until you get up and moving. You will get sleepy at night if you lay on the couch and get very still. This has happened to me in traffic as well so BE CAREFUL. If you feel tired in the car - Park your car and do about 30 jumping jacks and then you will be o.k. The weird thing about Sub is this - it will give you energy as long as you are doing something but once you stop to rest, you will be out so be extra careful in the car. Not sure if you have a long commute or not but I do.

I'm just trying to make sure you have all of the facts and if I think of anymore, I'll let you know. Some people have headaches at first but I never did. Sometimes I wake up and I'm swollen but I try to drink extra water and that goes away too.

I promise you, that as far as I'm concerned, Suboxone saved my life and even though there are mild side effects, I'm doing things with my life that I didn't even do before my addiction problems (going to church, cleaning more, taking better care of the kids, etc.). I cannot express how much it has helped me. I never crave and the bottom line is, it HAS helped me more than I can describe. Seriously, I would recommend it to anyone that has tried and tried (with all of their might) to get off of drugs and they can't. It's specifically designed for 'chronic relapsers' and there are many on this board that have benefited tremendously. There are a few that it didn't help. There are also a few people that have come off of it and had some pretty hefty withdrawals but as far as I'm concerned, I will worry about those when/if the time comes. Bottom line, Suboxone is very good insurance that I will not go back to abusing drugs and so far, it's worth everything I go through to get it, which by the way, I've been lucky and don't have to go to the doc every week or anything. I go once a quarter. I've been blessed. Good luck to you and don't forget that you MIGHT start feeling a little down in a few days - it's normal and if it doesn't pass within a couple of weeks, I would recommend an anti-depressant on top of what you are taking. So, can you tell us your story? How did you end up addicted, what were you taking and how did you hear about Suboxone?

I'm happy for you - at least you aren't slowly killing yourself anymore. You've made a HUGE step to recovery. Congrats! Oh, you can mess around w/your dose and take it all in the a.m. or half in the a.m. and half after lunch or early afternoon. I break mine up and take it THREE times a day... First thing, (5:00ish), 8:00ish and then about 1:00ish. Seems to work well. Take care and please keep us posted!

Old 04-20-2004, 04:36 PM   #7
(female)

south249 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Started Suboxone Today

I just wanted to thank everyone who has posted to me about suboxone. I have heard some really great things from all of you about it and am so glad I took the step I did. Those of you who are fighting an addiction, you may want to find a good addictionologist and let him tryed you on this drug. Even though this is my first day, I haven't felt this normal and good in a few years. I will continue to pray for each and every one of you, and do the same for me.
god bless you all
south249

Old 04-20-2004, 04:45 PM   #8
(female)

south249 HB User

Banker, I was in a car accident almost 3 years ago, have a herniated disc in my neck and lower back, and a bulging disk in my back. Also ddd and arthritis in my spine. I started taking vikes normally for the first 2 years, but the last year, I just went nuts with them. when I quit yesterday I was going thru 90 vikes in 3 days, I look at that and think I could have been dead, there but for the grace of god go I. I have been wanted to try the sub but liked the high from vikes so much I didn't want to stop. But I really reached the end of the road, and saw my life totally out of control, thats when I decided to get help. I am seeing an addictionlogist, and know that I have to start going to na meetings, which I plan to do. I am taking this one day at a time, but I know just from today that I am going to make it. Even if I have to take these for the rest of my life, I don't mind at all. I hated the pill counting, keeping track of what doctors I could go to when, oh my god what a nightmare. I thank you all for sharing your stories with me and I will continue to post on my progress, once again god bless you all.
hugs
south249

Old 04-21-2004, 04:28 AM   #9
Inactive

sadsister HB User

Hi south-
How are you today-im heather/suboxone maitainance for 8 months-now..and my life has changed since i started this program of recovery.I know im not 'clean/sober..but i never was-ive been using every drug/at differant times in my life since i was a teenager..w/ an 8 year break..when i was pregnant/raising my son-i discovered opiates when my son hit his teens-got addicted to heroin for 8 yrs.So-sub seemed the right choice for me..now i can function/go to work/not be sick daily etc.My finances are way improved and my outlook on life is better.I have clinical depression/personality disorder/add/panic-so i also do the psych meds /benzos-but this drug is a lifesaver-and many of us are very happy to be out of the drug/life..and on this med.I wish you all good things-w/ this program..i know you will be a happier person w/ it.
heather

Old 04-21-2004, 04:59 AM   #10
(female)

south249 HB User

Hi Heather Thanks So Much For Replying To My Post. I Am So Proud Of You And How Far You Have Come. You Have Been Thru Alot, But Now Your On The Right Path. I Love This Med, Never Thought I Could Feel So Good Without Pain Pills. I Am Also On Antidepressants And Panic Meds. Have Been For 12 Years. I Hope To Stay On This Med For A While. Was Addicted To Vikes For 3 Years. Once Again, Thanks For Writing.
Hugs
South249

Old 04-22-2004, 02:38 AM   #11

tryinmybest HB User

South,

I've been on sub for around 6 months. My Doc had me take my entire dose in the morning. I am presently trying to come off and it's no day at the beach. There are several side effects. It effected my vision. Sort of a slight distorting effect. Sub is very constipating. More so than most other drugs. I also developed a rash on my face similar to a breakout. When I decreased my dosage it went away. Sub worked for me. It allowed me to instantly stop illicit drugs. Chef is right. I do not consider myself drug free. NA is calling if I'm ever to beat this long term. That becomes more evident as you decrease your dosage. Do you plan to stay on long term or is this being used as a detox? If you have specific questions I'll try to help.

TMB

Old 04-22-2004, 06:16 AM   #12
(female)

south249 HB User

Hi thanks so much for writing. So far I have had no side effects but a little blurred vision. This is day 3 and I can not believe how great I feel. I had alot of pain, so I hope to stay on this a while to help my pain. Can you tell me who the doctor contacts when you come in to get help. someone said he contacts every doctor you have went to and tells them your a addict, and he contacts the police and tells them your a doctor shopper etc. can you put my mind to ease on this please. any help would be so appreicated.
hugs
south249

Old 04-22-2004, 06:26 AM   #13
(female)

KIMBEE HB User

Hi South, I am also a suboxone patient. I have been on it 8 months now and my life is so normal now, I cant imagine ever going back to the old lifestyle. I am so glad you chose to try it out, I think you will really notice a change in a few weeks. You will feel very clearheaded and NORMAL! I feel I am one of those who will be a lifer. I have relapsed too many times to trust myself and yes I think it does help with pain. Mostly it helps my depression better than any thing else I have tried. About the docs checking with police, I have never heard of such a thing. I would be leary of that. That sounds fishy. I wish you tons of luck, feel free to asks any questions.

Old 04-22-2004, 03:48 PM   #14

tryinmybest HB User

South,

That deal about every Doc being notified is garbage. Can you imagine the law suites? There is really no network established that would even allow that. Don't worry about that issue at all. I'm glad you are doing so well. Remember thou, you still have to work on long term sobriety. The sub should help you do that. I wish you the best and if I can help, just ask.

TMB

Old 05-04-2004, 04:47 PM   #15

AstronomyGuy25 HB User

I started suboxone today at 5:30 PM. It is 7:30 now.

I feel OK. I was feeling pretty sick, sweating, hot flashes, cravings, the usual symptoms of withdrawal.

My doctor said wait until you feel like you're in withdrawal (in my case 30 hours since last methadone dose)...

I waited until I felt uncomfortable, but not horribly bad.

It's been 2 hours and I feel OK. I would not yet go so far as to say "Great" but I am way better now than I was two hours ago.

Let's see how I feel tomorrow. I am optimistic now, after reading South's and other's postings.

I took it sublingually (sp?) under the tongue, exactly as directed. The doctor said, "if you still feel sick after an hour, take the 3rd one" ... which is exactly what I did.

Thanks for all the postings on this subject! It is really nice to know I have a lot of company and I am not the only one going through this!

-- Rick (a.k.a. AstronomyGuy25)

Closed Thread