It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2004, 12:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User
Question farm boy 7

fb7 you posted me a few days ago about weaning off methadone just curious how it was going i posted you in when does it end but i dont know if you received it post me and let me know how its going later kelleigh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2004, 03:22 PM   #2
Inactive

farmboy7 HB User
Re: farm boy 7

Hi no patience,
I'm still doing the taper down and have hit the proverbial wall for now. I started quick on purpose to get my dosage down as quick as possible so this wouldn't take too long. For two days I lowered my dose by about 15% and I felt OK so I dropped another 15% on the third day. The next day I felt withdrawal starting but I had just taken a dose and the withdrawal only lasted about one hour. So now I am on the 4th day of the lower dose, feeling allright,but not great. It will be a few more days before I even think about reducing more. I'm also trying to cut down my oxycodone use inbetween lowering the methadone because I don't want to end up just replacing one for the other. Isn't it weird how just reducing by 30% can screw up your body and your mind? I was actually taking fairly small amounts and only for pain but I got really dependent and didn't even know it.

peace,
farmboy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2004, 03:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboy7
Hi no patience,
I'm still doing the taper down and have hit the proverbial wall for now. I started quick on purpose to get my dosage down as quick as possible so this wouldn't take too long. For two days I lowered my dose by about 15% and I felt OK so I dropped another 15% on the third day. The next day I felt withdrawal starting but I had just taken a dose and the withdrawal only lasted about one hour. So now I am on the 4th day of the lower dose, feeling allright,but not great. It will be a few more days before I even think about reducing more. I'm also trying to cut down my oxycodone use inbetween lowering the methadone because I don't want to end up just replacing one for the other. Isn't it weird how just reducing by 30% can screw up your body and your mind? I was actually taking fairly small amounts and only for pain but I got really dependent and didn't even know it.

peace,
farmboy
FB7 THE SAME WITH ME IWAS PRESRIBED 30 MGS A DAY BUT TO TELL THE TRUTH I NEVER WENT BY THAT MY TOLERENCE GOT SO HIGH THAT 15 MGS WOULD WEAR OFF IN ABOUT 4 TO 5 HRS SO I HAD MY SELF UP TO 50 SOMETIMES 60 WHAT KIND OF CHRONIC PAIN DO YOU HAVE IF YOU DONT MIND MY ASKING?

Old 04-22-2004, 04:41 PM   #4
Inactive

farmboy7 HB User

I have chronic pain from a crushed vertabrae(t-9) and a cracked tailbone 9 years ago. The oxycodone works on the pain but if it's bad only about 2 hours.

farmboy

Old 04-22-2004, 05:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User
Question Re: farm boy 7

wow im sorry to here that just one question does the methadone help your pain if so why do you want to wean off it just fed up kelleigh

Old 04-22-2004, 07:05 PM   #6
Inactive

farmboy7 HB User

All opiates helped me for a while but recently the pain is increasing faster than they can raise the dose. I could not work anymore because of the pain and all the pills. I now think methadone is very strong and has a lot of side effects that may not be apparent immediately. The doc thinks maybe I should try going off all the opiates and see what happens. He says 30% of people have LESS pain after they quit. Not great odds but I'll give it a try.

farmboy

Old 04-22-2004, 07:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
All opiates helped me for a while but recently the pain is increasing faster than they can raise the dose. I could not work anymore because of the pain and all the pills. I now think methadone is very strong and has a lot of side effects that may not be apparent immediately. The doc thinks maybe I should try going off all the opiates and see what happens. He says 30% of people have LESS pain after they quit. Not great odds but I'll give it a try.

farmboy
fb7 well good luck with that i wish i could say the same for my self i stopped methadone and i have my pain back but then again everyone is different i hope it works for you good luck and keep me posted kelleigh

Old 04-22-2004, 07:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User
Question Re: farm boy 7

one more question isnt there any kind of surgery they can do ?

Old 04-23-2004, 12:18 PM   #9
Inactive

farmboy7 HB User

Most surgeons seem to shy away from surgery in the thoracic area. They told me a fusion would be dangerous and no guarantee of less pain. They will operate if I become completely diasabled.
Bad night, last night.

farmboy

Old 04-23-2004, 12:50 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Most surgeons seem to shy away from surgery in the thoracic area. They told me a fusion would be dangerous and no guarantee of less pain. They will operate if I become completely diasabled.
Bad night, last night.

farmboy
farmboy 7 i feel so bad for you it must be awful my heart goes out to you i hope they can figure out something for you i know what chronic pain feels like i have 2 bulging and degenerative disc disease but i cant even imagine what your pain must be like again my thoughts are with you stay in touch and let me know how you're doing sorry you have to go through this kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 04-23-2004 at 12:50 PM.

Old 04-26-2004, 08:25 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Bad night, last night.

farmboy
fb7 just seeing how you're coping with you're awful ordeal please let me know kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 04-26-2004 at 08:26 AM.

Old 04-26-2004, 06:25 PM   #12
Inactive

farmboy7 HB User

Hey Kelleigh,
I'm doing OK. Saw my doc this AM and he said I'm doing good on the taper down of methadone. I'm also getting ready to drop another 1/2 pill per day soon. He gave me a scrip for lidocaine patches to stick on my back in the area it hurts. Anyone try these before? Going to my pain doctor this afternoon.
Glad to see you are finally feeling better, gives me confidence too.

farmboy

Old 04-26-2004, 06:34 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Hey Kelleigh,
I'm doing OK. Saw my doc this AM and he said I'm doing good on the taper down of methadone. I'm also getting ready to drop another 1/2 pill per day soon. He gave me a scrip for lidocaine patches to stick on my back in the area it hurts. Anyone try these before? Going to my pain doctor this afternoon.
Glad to see you are finally feeling better, gives me confidence too.

farmboy
fb7 glad to hear you're doing better felt so bad for you never used a lidocaine patch i'm sure some one on the board has again glad it's going ok kelleigh

Closed Thread