It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2004, 05:52 PM   #1

Murphy555 HB User
Patient Advocacy

Hi,
We've talked about this subject on a thread somewhere.

And I looked through google and found many links.

If anyone has any advice to give as far as obtaining an advocate could you please let me know?

I know, my priority is to be getting better, but a lot of inconsistencies have been happening along the way. I'd like to write or tell my story in detail to someone and perhaps have them help me deal with things. I'm still pretty weak and would like to do more, but I get tired quickly.

Also, I don't know if this is unethical or not, but does anyoone know if a physician has his assistant who has no training or degrees treating patients and in charge of a suboxone program. I thought only Drs. were only supposed to do that.

Murphy

Old 04-22-2004, 06:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User
Re: Patient Advocacy

Murphy - you know you are right. You know this assistant should not be prescribing Suboxone. If you were brave enough (I'm not - I'm too dependant on my Suboxone) but you could call 1-800 Suboxone and tell them everything this doctor is doing. THEN - call Marcia and tell her that they want her to call them. I actually did do this when my doc first prescribed Suboxone because he didn't prescribe it correctly. I was wearing fentanyl patch and i would have been deathly ill if I had started the Sub while on the patch as well so I called them. They were appauled at what my doc told me to do and they wanted me to call my doc and have him call them so they could help him learn how to prescribe Suboxone. That would FREAK Marcia AND your doctor OUT! Now, the only problem here is they will probably NEVER give you Suboxone again so I don't know if I would recommend it. But it IS fun to think about scaring the crap out of them, don't you think? We can dream...

I don't know anything about patient advocacy... However, I DO know a friend of mine that was addicted to amphetimines. She was so suicidal that someone took her to the hospital, she stayed in about 4 or 5 days (until they stabilized her on the right meds) and then let her out - with FREE medical therapy from the county/city mental health facility after she was released. During her hospital stay, she had a case worker assigned to her case, so that they could help her get the right care from the right doctors. I believe it was a social worker. This might be something to consider.

Although I know you do NOT want to go into the hospital, you have said before that you believe you needed it due to treating depression AND addiction. And I know exactly what you mean about searching for that 'cocktail' of drugs to try and replace the vikes. Addicts look for any type of drugs to escape - it's the bottom line. This is why AA/NA people say that once an addict, always an addict and it doesn't matter what the drug is. They say that if you are addicted to pain pills, you must never touch a drink, xanax or anything else that 'changes how you feel'. It makes complete sense. It's just replacing one escape for another and I can relate to you. I told you I was real close to where you are on increasing my xanax because my tolerance built up and honestly, it was nice to escape for a while.

Addiction is about NOT being sober. No matter how we choose to do that!

I want to apologize for the people that have posted to you saying you are having a 'pity party'. You're right - nobody has been through what you have been through and nobody can tell you exactly what is the right thing for you. Nobody can criticize you for trying to get help and getting no where. I'm pretty upset at the response you received. What about the people who have been on here (and please, nobody take any offense to this... please. Remember, we are all addicts) but what about people who STAY on opiates and I mean tons of them and continue to post like everything is fine? What about those people? Do you see people slamming them because they aren't 'doing anything' about their addictions? Ugh, I'm just angry that people can be so wrapped up in themselves, that they cannot see what other people MIGHT be going through. Just makes me mad. And, the last time I checked, nobody is perfect. Not only that... but everyone has to decide what is the best method for them trying to get clean and detox. Not every method is the right one for every single individual. Sometimes it takes time to determine what you are going to do. I don't think anyone really WANTS to have to go through detox and it has to be a difficult decision for you to make. I cannot imagine what you've been through these last few weeks but I do know it sounds like it's just been pure hell.

Anyway, I also think I've been honest w/you and told you things that you may not want to hear - such as the in patient might have to be an option for you. I think our job on this board is to be here for people in need and to provide as many options that we are aware of based upon our own experiences or knowledge. If someone thinks you are having a pity party... then maybe they can stop reading your posts......

Whatcha' think about that? What time is your appt. tomorrow? You'd better let us know something SOON about what you are going to do and how it goes. If you do decide to 'check in' --- you HAVE to tell them you need access to the internet before it all starts so you can let us know.... K? Take care of yourself and those babies and good luck tomorrow!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2004, 06:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Murphy, please read my post on your other thread. Marcia

Old 04-23-2004, 11:45 AM   #4

Murphy555 HB User

Murphy - you know you are right. You know this assistant should not be prescribing Suboxone.

***Banker, she isn't prescribing the suboxone, the Dr. is. I just don't see the Dr. She's in charge (whatever that means) of the suboxone program. I woke up today feeling pretty good, jittery yes, but enough to get dressed and take myself to this clinique to see if they would detox me (IF I need it, the Dr. down there doesn't seem to think I need it). It's not that I'm not brave enough, I am, I'm just so mixed up and I've never felt this way before but I feel like conspiracy, like the movie "The Net" and she can't get anyone to believe what is really going on when someone has taken her identity. My next refill is due next week; are they allowed to just discontinue your suboxone? At the beginning MARCIA told me that you have to wean of very slowly if you choose to stop which I don't want to, so could she refuse it for any reason; would that be a good # to find out? I'm trying to find some way to detox from valium. I never failed not to comply with the Drs. wishes to not do what he says, but he says I did. I don't even know what they are. In your case, they subscripbed it incorrectly, in mine, I took something I should not have and they won't help me get off the substance I'm not supposed to be taking. So I'm very confused. I'd cut down on the sub if they want me to. I don't know what it is they want me to do, but honestly, she lies and I've caught a few on my answering machine tape, that I'm stumped

I wake up trying to be positive but I don't know what to do with it. I want to call Marcia and ask her what didn't I comply with, with Dr. Svensson so that he wouldn't treat me outpatient instead of outpatient. And also, I feel the more questions I have, etc. I'm scared that they will drop me from the suboxone program for which I've been doing fine.

Anyway, I also think I've been honest w/you and told you things that you may not want to hear - such as the in patient might have to be an option for you.

**I may not have another choice. That I realize. I'm not asking for pity, I simply don't know what to do with several different Drs. telling me to to different things. And I suddently realized I don't want to lose my suboxone.

Whatcha' think about that? What time is your appt. tomorrow? You'd better let us know something SOON about what you are going to do and how it goes.

**There is no "time" the Director is just dropping by which is why I'm going thre and hanging out to talk to her. There must be a way.
Thank you Banker

Old 04-23-2004, 11:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

rosietee HB User

Murphy, Banker's post was great. I have to catch up on the whole thread, but if NA and this board had not been accepting of me while I was still using, there is no way I would still be clean, even just having been discharged from the hospital on Tuesday! I can tell you are so smart and we need you here.

luv,
rosie

Closed Thread