It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2004, 11:51 PM   #1
(female)

DannDees HB User
7 days and counting without methadone

hi..I had lived 14 years with chronic back pain. I know eveyone that knew me was tired of hearing me say " my back is killing me" because I was even tired of hearing myself say it. I tried to not express my pain but sometimes the pain would get so bad that the words would just come out.2 years ago I took a Vacation back to my home town. I had about 30 people that I wanted to see in 14 days. At lunch with one of my friends while on vacation the words came out "MY BACK IS KILLING ME". He offered me a pain pill. I said no I had no time to be tired. The only pain pill I had ever taken before was once long ago from the dentist and I remembered that it knocked me out. He explained to me that this pill would not make me tired. The reason why his dr. put him on this after motorcycle accident was because he could still work, drive and function normal on it and that it was not addicting.I took it and thought I had found the miracle. I asked him the next day for more to get me through my vacation. When I returned home I called and asked him to send me some,he did. He eventually had to tell his dr. that his 2 pills a day was just not doing it any longer , so he could get enough to keep sending me. 3 months later I asked my primary dr. for them and he almost passed out when I told them what they were called. I really got worried about what the dr. told me. I had resisted temptation to do drugs all my life and now at the age of 31I could be addicted to something. I did research on internet for them and found that people were taking 100's of mg. a day and I was only on 10mg a day so I probabaly wouldn't get addicted. I continued to have my friend send them to me. Now we are up to 2 years of using methadone,but the entire time I was still only taking 10mg a day. Always was enough. I went 10 days without crapping . I tried every over the counter medicines, fiber, prune juice. nothing worked I could not go to bathroom. I went to er and told them what I was taking. The dr. who was pretty nice became the biggest D***K once I told him I took methadone . I was treated like scum of the earth. he ordered blood, urine and xrays. After these test I waited 7 hours for the results. In these 7 hours I got filled with anxiety. thinking they might come back and tell me that I was going to die or live with a poop bag hanging out my stomach. I prayed and prayed. I promised I would quit, to just please let the test alll come back fine. Thank god the test did come back fine. I had just got 30 pills from my friend. I probably would not have made that promise had I known what the next week would be.A promise to god is not something I take lightly so I have hung on up to now. I would be happier to give birth to an elephant then to go through the second and third day of withdraws. I looked like I had torretts syndrome. It also felt like my soul was trying to scratch its way out my body& the back pain was REALLY NOW KILLING ME.I called every detox place there was on the internet. all said it was just part of the process. My last pill was 7 days 9 hours ago. today is actually the first day I have even felt a little normal. I am having a problem sleeping, not more then 45 minutes a night.Don't know how much longer my body can go.I also am having a problem with the nightmare of the second and third night replaying over and over in my head. I have Never been so scared. Is this normal? I have read that depression follows . Is there a depression pill that is not addicting? I never ever want to go through this again. if anyone could help they can please post ..thanks to anyone with any kind of advice.By the way I also want to say that I did read on the net that only 1% of pain patients get addicted to methadone and I think that is a right out lie.I saw a board where people were telling a person in pain that methadone would work for her and not one of those people told her of the misery she would face if she ever wanted to quit. That really angers me. I have told my friend what I went through and now he wants off of them. Imagine, he gets them from a dr. who has deceived him. If i had got these from dr and not friend I would be suing thanks again. Felt very good to actually put my thought down in print.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-23-2004 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2004, 03:25 AM   #2

tryinmybest HB User
Re: 7 days and counting without methadone

Deeandees,

I am sorry to hear about your plight. 10 mg while not being a high dose is still very hard to come off of. My methadone experiences are all derived from clinics for long term maintainance. I see very committed people trying to get of meth. They have been on high doses and slowely detox. Over very long periods I've seen many of these people get stuck when they got to 5 or 10 mg. I do have good news. The worse part is over. Consistent sleep at least for most of the night is probably a little ways off. You should really start feeling better every day. Don't cave into temptation and take either meth or a substitute, it will only put you back to day 1. Are you able to work through this? You talk about constipation from meth, such a problem that one of the clinics I used to go to had prunes in their candy jar. Anyway, that shouldn't be an issue now! hang in there, the best is yet to come.

TMB

Old 04-23-2004, 04:11 AM   #3
(female)

DannDees HB User

thank god I stay at home mom. I would have never been able to work.. I have been on couch bed or in the bath. I make myself walk around the outside of our pool 10 times and ARound the 7th lapp I think I won't make it.. I am really weak. as you can tell by the hour..no sleep again tonight..thanks so much

Old 04-23-2004, 05:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

Wow, what a story. I cannot believe this happened to you, nor can I believe you went so long without knowing what you were taking. How horrible... but, be very thankful you were only taking 10mg a day... It could be ALOT worse. However, you will get through this... just give it some more time. I know that is hard to hear and believe and actually DO. How many kids do you have and are they young or school age? I've heard that with methadone it takes about two weeks and then you will start to feel slightly normal again. However, you may not be 100% for about a month or 6 weeks. But you WILL NOT feel like this the entire time. You will start to feel a little better each day. Try Benadryl for sleep??? I know people do that with other kinds of withdrawals... Good luck to you and keep on posting. Again, you could have so easily started taking more than 10mgs so at minimum, be thankful that you didn't.

Old 04-23-2004, 06:00 AM   #5

tryinmybest HB User

Deeanndees,

Sleep will be the last thing that gets back to normal. You shouls really start feeling noticably better each day. Continue to try to do more and more exercise, it really makes you feel better. You will start falling asleep fairly easily, but will not sleep very long. This was the pattern that I always went through when I got off meth. You're on the road back. It really is one day at a time.

TMB

Old 04-23-2004, 06:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

hello i have chronic back pain also thats why i was on methadone to read my post to you on when does it end my heart goes out to you

Old 04-23-2004, 09:14 AM   #7
Inactive

doggreensector HB User

Deandees:

I am on my 6th day without vicodin, and although my dosage was not that high either, I can totally relate to the nightmares. They have been recurring nightmares. However I slept through the night last night without waking up. I still feel like hell, however I know that with each passing day this crap is getting out of my system. I spoke with one of my co-workers and he told me he was very addicted to an opiate at one time and said for him that he felt lousy for about 14 days. Hang in there. You are ahead of me. I get hot flashes and the shakes too.

At least for myself I am thinking that it is going to be about three weeks before I feel normal again. But that is just me, everyone is different. \

doggreensector

Old 04-23-2004, 09:19 AM   #8
Inactive

doggreensector HB User

One other thing. I have been using 800 mg of motrin. It does help a little. Just make sure that you eat something before you take it. I don't thing mortrin is addictive and is only an anti-inflammatory. It helps a little bit.

Old 04-24-2004, 02:24 PM   #9

rockingham HB User
Smile Re: 7 days and counting without methadone

i am in a methadone maintenance program. and constipation is the number one side effect for methadone use. no matter your dose you will be constipated. and not going for days without treating it is the norm, not out of the ordinary. you are a victim of inexperience with methadone, thats all. constipation is treated quite easily with the proper approach. its regrettable that you now must suffer back pain and the mental anguish you have gone through due to this inexperience. im sorry for you. it didnt have to be that way. aggressive treatment of constipation would have solved your problem for you and avoided what you are now going thru. methadone clinics send home a paper specifically on constipation and how to combat it because it is so prevelant in meth patients. good luck with your withdrawal. it will be a tough road but can be done.

Senna-S Tablets(Walgreens)
Calcium Sennosides 8.6mg
Docusate Sodium 50mg

AND

Dulcolax
bisacodyl USP 5mg

The above two laxatives will treat constipation in almost all cases. Doses will vary from case to case

Old 04-25-2004, 05:10 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Just a suggestion here to relieve the initial constipation so you can get tHAT overwith and start a regular program with the laxitives.Try using magnesium citrate to get rid of that backed up problem.but be prepared after a few hours as when this stuff actually hits, you will need to make a run for the bathroom.

Drs routinely rx this stuff for patients who are going to have to undergo colonoscopys(sp?)you can get it at any drug store without an rx.it is extremely effective for getting all of that backed up stuff out of your system.I have had to use this method a few times in the past.once you get relief from your initial constipation, follow rockinghams suggestion with the laxitives.hope you get relief soon. Marcia

Old 04-25-2004, 06:23 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeanndees
thank god I stay at home mom. I would have never been able to work.. I have been on couch bed or in the bath. I make myself walk around the outside of our pool 10 times and ARound the 7th lapp I think I won't make it.. I am really weak. as you can tell by the hour..no sleep again tonight..thanks so much
thats great that your a stay at home mom and good that you're walking are you taking any vitamins if not find some energy ones and a vitamin b complex they dont work over night and there are herbal rememdies for depressionlike st johns wort or passion flower i'm trying to do any thing to help you and quinine water is good for muscle twitching i just want to help you so bad because i know the hell you're going through luv and hugs kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 04-25-2004 at 06:24 AM.

Closed Thread