It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2004, 01:57 PM   #1
Inactive

mouse62 HB User
Tramadol/Ultram question

I take either Ultracet or plain Tramadol for pain, and Xanax for anxiety (both prescribed). Now, I have read online of people who swear that Tramadol is NOT in the least bit addictive, that they stopped after daily use (prescribed) for months or years and had no problems.

I had a bad experience this past week where I had no pills before my next refill. This happens to me every so often because I will take extra (more than the 8 daily limit) if I can't sleep or something, then suffer the consequences. I am prescribed six a day, eight max under any circumstances.

Honestly, I did not feel much physical withdrawal but the mental HELL was awful. Depression and anxiety, even the Xanax did not take away the jumpy jittery and just crappy way I felt. Also I burst into tears over a movie. That seems funny now (I've been off the Tramadol for a full five days now) but at the time I could not stop crying over a star that I liked who died young.

Is this drug tramadol OK IF used very carefully, 300 mgs or less a day? I do not want to go through the hell of opiate withdrawal ever again, I did that back in the early 90s.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2004, 02:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User
Re: Tramadol/Ultram question

mouse 62 they have or already have made tramadol a controlled substance because it is causingw/ds similar to opiate w/d the way they made the drug its very similar to how and opoid would work its not morphine but a morphine like substance 300mgs is alot my pain doc put me on 50 and then reamed me for taking 100 mgs cause the 50 wasnt working hope this helps i wasnt on it long enough for this to happen but there are definitly people going through the same thing kelleigh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2004, 02:40 PM   #3

NeverAgain HB User

Mouse: If at all possible you should get off the Ultram as quick as you can. For me they were much more worse withdrawing from than hydro's. The depression and anxiety was a living Hell. I will never touch those again! Other people seem to not have a problem with them, but for me it was so bad getting off of them. Just be careful
I would hate for you to go through what I did.

B

Old 04-23-2004, 08:43 PM   #4
Inactive

herbal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by no patience
mouse 62 they have or already have made tramadol a controlled substance because it is causingw/ds similar to opiate w/d the way they made the drug its very similar to how and opoid would work its not morphine but a morphine like substance 300mgs is alot my pain doc put me on 50 and then reamed me for taking 100 mgs cause the 50 wasnt working hope this helps i wasnt on it long enough for this to happen but there are definitly people going through the same thing kelleigh
It's controlled?
What class is it in?

Last edited by moderator2; 04-24-2004 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Old 04-23-2004, 09:00 PM   #5

dsny HB User

I couldnt find anything about it being controlled yet in the US.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-24-2004 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Old 04-23-2004, 09:44 PM   #6

jenny1973 HB User

It is not yet "classified" as a controlled substance here in the U.S although doctors would beg to differ. So would I!! I just got out of treatment from an addiction to ultram/tramadol. I started taking it to get me off the vicodin thinking it was not addictive and would just help with the withdrawls. Boy was I wrong. Ended up hooked on that. It actually worked out better for me and easier to get in the short-term, however long term you are looking at the same type of addiction as any natural opiate...this works the same way only its just a synthetic form. Regardless I am proof that it can be addictive and I am on day 10 today being off it and was just starting to perk up, however have now managed to get a horrible cold. Please be careful!!
Jenny

Old 04-24-2004, 06:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

herbal the nurse and my doc told me about it either being controled or the fda wants to control it cant remember i think they are in the process of wanting to because i read where people are sueing (did ispell that right) the tramadol company

Last edited by no patience; 04-24-2004 at 06:39 AM.

Old 04-24-2004, 08:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User
Angry Re: Tramadol/Ultram question

you know what pisses me off i was looking up about tramadol and all i find is things like buy tramadol on line and not just that other narcotics to you want information and thats all you get and the whole time i get pop ups i dont know maybe i'm nieve but i just think its wrong sorry just had to vent thats what recovering addicts really need to see when their looking up info sorry again makes me mad kelleigh

Old 04-24-2004, 09:16 AM   #9
Inactive

Twinlynn HB User

Jenny - sorry you have a cold. That can heighten the "blahs", so don't get anxious if you're feeling mentally worse off than before. It will pass. When I get a cold or the flu...I can count on feeling bleak afterwards...but it's only temporary. :-) Lynn

Old 04-24-2004, 01:00 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

[i just read on well i cant put what website til i get permission tramadol is a scedule VI controlled substance kelleighwell in mass anyway

Last edited by no patience; 04-24-2004 at 01:08 PM.

Closed Thread