It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2004, 05:48 PM   #1
Veteran

Best Friend HB User
Hiya Over...'Can we tawk?"

QUOTE<<I took Prozac for two weeks, but I didn't feel right on them and I started getting anxiety from it. So I discontinued it and had to pursue other options. >>UNQUOTE

Hi there, "Over." I am "Best Friend," but please call me Alice! My 'real' name. My twin, Lynn, and I post from time to time. You can find my rather long (lol) intro by checking out the posts under my name (hit my name and pull up "all posts by this member"..look for the first of the batch).

Firstly, Over! Congratulations on your brave battle. You've got just the BEST attitude!...it's great to read your stuff. And you've got some real savvy suggestions -- the exercise, etc. SO on target! Almost makes me want to head for the gym. ALMOST.... But I think I'll stick with my kick scooter...an adult version of the scooters the kids use...it's the BEST exercise and so much fun for "A-type thrill seekers" ...even at...alas, yes...58 yrs of age! So don't go bragging about being "almost 40!" And, yeah, I don't look too bad...maybe I, like Barbra Streisand, require just a tad more of 'soft lighting' for those close-ups than you 'youngsters' do. LOLOL!)

I did want to share one thing with you...part of your post that caught my eye. It may be 'part of the past' for you, but I just felt the need to clarify some info about Prozac. This "lil pil" has amassed quite a remarkable reputation. The first of its kind of antidepressant, it got the media tag of "happy pill." What many journalists failed to mention is that, while it helps a variety of people, it was targeted at a specific audience. My sister and I suffer from OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). Because of a lack of serotonin in our brains, we spent a disheartening amount of our lives "lost in thoughts"....ruminating about stuff that our brains could not 'turn off.' OCD has many forms....from the 'hand washers' to those, like us, who spend their lives "trying to get thoughts "right." It's a very complex disorder (and actually quite interesting to read about).

Anyway....my point is that Prozac was targeted to help people with OCD. And it worked. It was the miracle drug for my twin and me. After years of warding off 'intrusive thoughts' (meanwhile faking a 'normal,' productive life! - OCDers are judges, doctors, teachers and pop stars!), we both found ourselves winning the battle of 'thoughts.'

The drug takes approx. 6 weeks to infiltrate the system and work its therapeutic healing. And, yes, just like you experienced, around Week 2, I felt anxious...antsy....wired. But my doctor explained that that was 'normal' for the drug and to hang in there (a doctor/psychiatrist should explain that to clients...for some drugs, therapeutic success takes several weeks and you need that good doctor/patient relationship to carry you over the hurdles. I felt fine within a week). And, now, years later, my OCD is 99 percent conquered. For me and my sister, it was a life-saving medication. Prozac is, fer shure, not "the" antidepressant, anti-anxiety drug for everyone...and I suspect too many doctors have prescribed it too 'randomly.' But I do think we need to be cautious, here, and emphasize that we are each so 'individual,' and it's important to not lump drug 'success and failure' without specifying that 'individuality.' "Drugs" cover a wide spectrum of needs. Some save lives....some destroy them. And even the ones that "destroy" some lives have the capacity to save others. Pain pills, for instance, the very things that have ripped some of our lives apart, are, for 'others' - for those 'controlled users' with lives dominated by pain - sometimes the only thing standing between a productive life and suicide. I guess that is why I worry over any 'generalizing' about drugs. One (wo)man's 'poison' may be another's 'miracle.'

Anyway....welcome to the Board, Over! Am enjoying your posts! (I'm at the other side of the country....NYC)
TwinAlice (aka "Best Friend" - mainly because I'm a dawg lover!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2004, 06:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

rosietee HB User
Re: Hiya Over...'Can we tawk?"

Hey, Alice and Over,
I second Alice's observations. I, too, suffer from OCD. Without prozac I am bulemic and prone to bursting into tears. I don't deny that psychotherapy has helped me, but my husband is very "anti-pill", and he can tell when I have not taken my prozac for a few days, and gets upset if I let my precription lapse. He had to see it to believe it, it's as simple as that.

Then again, maybe I have thyroid problems and never needed prozac at all. (appointment w/ endocrinologist is next week) I should only be so lucky.

At any rate, Over, it is nice to have another west coast'er here; things get kind of slow past midnight EST as you might imagine . . . . I have a meeting late tonight, but will try to come on a few times this weekend. My time this afternoon is sporadic as best with the 2 kids by myself. They absolutely positively refuse to sleep when they are with me, whereas they would have slept by now if they were here with anyone else, even if they brought a 3-ring circus.

BTW, I will be 40 very soon . . .

luv,
rosie

Old 04-25-2004, 10:58 AM   #3
Inactive

over HB User

Hi Ya Alice,
Your post are always so great and funny. I, myself, use to travel to NYC every month for business. I love east coasters much more than our beach bunnies out here. ****, they can be so annoying and plain ol bimboish....You must know that I live in So Cal here..
I figured that I really have a few more good years for me to do this kind of exercise regimen (boxing, kickboxing and martial arts) before I reach for my kid's scooter for my main source of exercise in a few years. You live in NYC, you have public transportation and you walk as transport! Lucky you! Forget it out here. Bunch of lazy a*s people out here who really can't live without their cars. They even have Starbucks drive through here!!!! Not to mention, our lame a*s public transport (I mean, what public transport). I use to live in England also and I love public transport. Anyways...that is another post...

Yeah, I said I look great..from afar....my wrinkles are there..(can't afford botox yet) did years of cigarette smoking..not to mention drug use....Aagh..turning 40 gracefully soon..yeah right.. gotta do my glamour shot soon..so my daughter has a chance to relish in having a young mother through photographs..ha.ha.I should have listened to my mother!!...

Thank you for your great advice. It was my OB/Gyn that prescribed the Prozac for me and it was for my severe PMS. I get it pretty bad two weeks prior to my period (just seems non-stop). He instructed me to take it two weeks prior and then stop when I get my period. It was just a viscious cycle..I couldn't take it. I may try it again after I see how I do with sobriety off Vicodin. RosieTee mentioned thyroid problems and that runs in my family, big time. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet,but will do.

For me today, the withdrawls are still there. It seems to never let up. I'm trying really really hard to not reach for my Sub. I know it'll get better soon.

I'll post again. I have a massive headache right now. I think its withdrawls?

Over it!

Old 04-25-2004, 11:23 AM   #4
Inactive

over HB User

Hi RosieTee,

****, are we twins or what? Thyroid problems run big in our family! Both sides too. Some of my relatives are rail thin, mood swings, severe tiredness, etc. They don't take anti-depressants, but just kind of homebodies. I mean all they do is stay at home and don't socialize all that much. I have to get my thryoid problem checked out too.

Me, I'm ADD, can never stay at home except when I was on Vicodin. I enjoy going out and doing stuff except housekeeping of any kind. Its too much frustration when I do it. I can never put the stuff back where it truly has to go without me finding something else on the way that needs to be put elsewhere. I mean, it takes me forever. I have to HIRE people to help me with the big cleaning. I hate it and wished so bad to be clean!

You know, I always had problems with moods and anger. I can get angry very easily and just bothered by stuff. I have heard SSRI to be miracle drugs for some people. I don't know. I have never been on any anti-depressants ever. I have had a lot of relationship problems though with men that I've become to realize may attribute to the ADD. When I get remarried, I may take it then. For now, I think I can manage it? Its not easy..In fact, its actually very very difficult. I just wish you can answer more of my questions about how it truly has helped you.

How are you today? How are you feeling? It appears that you are doing fairly well. I'm proud of you, girlfriend! Its going to be a scorcher today! You're in OC though, so its not too bad for you down there.

Take care and post when you have more time. Be strong!

Over it!

Old 04-25-2004, 12:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

rosietee HB User

Hey, girlfriend, it's hot down here, too. Hubby's at the office this morning and the girls are calling me, so I won't be able to write alot till tomorrow, but wanted to let you know I am thinking about you. It will get better!

luv,
rosie

Old 04-25-2004, 04:03 PM   #6
Veteran

Best Friend HB User

Hiya Over. Hope your headache is letting up some. I'm subject to headaches and I know how AWFUL they can be! Gotta run out with my 3 Shih Tzu before the rains hit the city. Will write more this week.
Alice

Old 04-25-2004, 07:50 PM   #7

dschne HB User

Hi over if you get a chnace would really like to talk to you about your sub doc experience I am new to this board and really need some help

Old 04-26-2004, 09:07 AM   #8
Inactive

over HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschne
Hi over if you get a chnace would really like to talk to you about your sub doc experience I am new to this board and really need some help
Hi Daniel,

Sure we can talk about the sub experience. Did you read my other post-"my story-hydro and sub"?

What are your questions in regards to it?

Just post all questions and I will be more than happy to answer them for you.

Take care.
Over IT

Closed Thread