It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2004, 09:10 AM   #1
Inactive

doggreensector HB User
Hydros and Zoloft

Today is day 7 without the vikes. This has been my second time through withdrawals and this was definately the worst I have ever been through. I don't ever want to have to go through this again. I had to go to a business meeting with some clients last night to a sports bar. I couldn't wait to leave. I actually broke down and drank two glasses of wine, I felt better for about 45 minutes then started to feel the wd's again. When I woke up this morning I felt like I had a hangover along with wd's.

However my question is this my doctor figures that I was abusing the vikes to deal with stress and an underlying depression. He prescribed Zoloft. I have not filled the prescription as of yet. So my question is this, being that I am only off of vicodin for 7 days is it too soon to start a regiment of Zoloft? He wants me to start 25 mg for five days then go to 50 mg for about 20 days and then up to 100 mg if needed.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Keith

Old 04-24-2004, 09:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User
Re: Hydros and Zoloft

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggreensector
Today is day 7 without the vikes. This has been my second time through withdrawals and this was definately the worst I have ever been through. I don't ever want to have to go through this again. I had to go to a business meeting with some clients last night to a sports bar. I couldn't wait to leave. I actually broke down and drank two glasses of wine, I felt better for about 45 minutes then started to feel the wd's again. When I woke up this morning I felt like I had a hangover along with wd's.

However my question is this my doctor figures that I was abusing the vikes to deal with stress and an underlying depression. He prescribed Zoloft. I have not filled the prescription as of yet. So my question is this, being that I am only off of vicodin for 7 days is it too soon to start a regiment of Zoloft? He wants me to start 25 mg for five days then go to 50 mg for about 20 days and then up to 100 mg if needed.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Keith
no its not to soon iwas on ssris while taking methadone and started a new one lexapro during the last of my withdrawals if you start taking it now i know they dont work over night but some help ease the anxiety that comes with withdrawals imy withdrawal was 5 weeks from methadone if you don't mind my asking how long do physical w/ds last from hydros zoloft is suppose to be one of the best ones out there and it will definitly help with the after affects of coming off opiates becuse when i conquered the physical then came the pyschological like feeling worthless no pleasure in anything etc and i think it will help you to start taking it now im not a doc but i hope i've helped hugs kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 04-24-2004 at 09:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2004, 10:12 AM   #3
(female)

StarToo HB User

My Zoloft saved my life. I started them slowly before i quit hydros. I did go through WD's, but not that bad. I had been horribly depressed and did not see how I could quit the hydros because of the depression. But the Zoloft did help me. Very little withdrawal. Mostly runny nose and stopped up head - hardly any stomach stuff. I started at 50mg and up to 150mg and am feeling wonderful. It eased the anxiety with the withdrawal and just made me feel like my life was worth living again. I can see colors and taste cookies! Just be careful about switching ssri's one after another. It can cause "seratonin syndrome" and that, my friend, is a nightmare! Just do a google search on it and let your doc know you are aware of it. The very best wishes for you. The Zoloft can definately help you. PS people keep talking about gaining weight on it, I haven't gained a pound.

Old 04-25-2004, 12:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

gds just checking in to see if you started your zoloft and see how you're doing kelleigh

Old 04-25-2004, 01:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

No, start the zoloft SOON! It will help so much with the depression of the 'real world' that occurs after quitting drugs. Even on Suboxone I experienced it because being 'sober' (which some argue that Suboxone isn't - I think it is) but anyway, it's hard. I didn't like being sober and seeing the world for what it truly is. It was HARD but my antidepressant helped so much!

Also, you're starting on a really low dose. If you're really depressed, talk to your doc about speeding up the time to get to 100mgs. I started on 50 mgs when I was on Zoloft (which was several years ago) and had to go to 100 and then to 200 during the absolute worst of my depression. However, 200 made me way too anxious so I dropped back to 100. Anyway... 25 mgs is VERY low but I would start immediately. You know it takes about 2 weeks to get into your system. Good luck and keep posting to us!

Old 04-25-2004, 02:49 PM   #6
Inactive

doggreensector HB User

I will start the Zoloft soon. My concern is that I have heard that it can effect the libido in a negative way. Basically impotence. And with vicodin that is exactly what happened. I am a little burned out on pills having taken vicodin for 14 months. I am going to probably start this week because my doctor wants me on it for at least awhile and I am going to do what he says.

Thanks for the insight banker, I'll keep you posted. Today is day 8.

Keith

Old 04-25-2004, 04:09 PM   #7
Veteran

howard678 HB User

Okay, want another view?

Flush the Zoloft unless you are so depressed and anxious you cannot function. There are as many bad reviews on SSRIs as their are good reports. Do some google searches. I have seen these drugs turn people into zombies and class action lawsuits are currently in the works. They often have bad long term withdrawal syndromes once you stop, so it is advisable to slow taper off of them. Even then, you may have problems. Plus these drugs are based only on theory. There is no way they can tell if you have a seratonim deficiency without doing a spinal tap. That is why they use the word may in the commercials. CYA... Vicidon withdrawal should not last more than a few weeks. Ride it out if at all possible before playing with any more potentially dangerous drugs.

Old 04-25-2004, 05:14 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard678
Okay, want another view?

Flush the Zoloft unless you are so depressed and anxious you cannot function. There are as many bad reviews on SSRIs as their are good reports. Do some google searches. I have seen these drugs turn people into zombies and class action lawsuits are currently in the works. They often have bad long term withdrawal syndromes once you stop, so it is advisable to slow taper off of them. Even then, you may have problems. Plus these drugs are based only on theory. There is no way they can tell if you have a seratonim deficiency without doing a spinal tap. That is why they use the word may in the commercials. CYA... Vicidon withdrawal should not last more than a few weeks. Ride it out if at all possible before playing with any more potentially dangerous drugs.
howard severe depression comes with coming off opiates if people need these to make it through a rough time they should do so some people can't do it w/out the help of an antidepressant i know from experience my w/d were so tough i needed an ssri and klonopin if some one needs to take these for the sake of getting back to normal they should do so kelleigh

Old 04-25-2004, 05:18 PM   #9
Inactive

doggreensector HB User

Howard,

I appreciate your concern. However the majority of the negative press has been brought about by the Church of Scientology. Bascially the group has encouraged people who have had extreme emotional problems to file lawsuits, the church hates psychiatry in general.

I personally have seen ssri's do wonders for people. I currently have a friend who is a physician who had a full blown nervous breakdown who lost her job with a prominent hospital. She has does not take drugs nor does she drink. She is now on an ssri and it has worked miraculously for her. She is back to work and is functioning well.

You said that the ssri's are based on theory. No offense but your comments are "theory." Your comments are your own opinion. Looking back over the past year I can tell that I abused vicodin for a number of reasons including low level anxiety and depression.

I do agree with you though that med's are not the "answer all" to problems. I am a little skeptical myself. But your comment of "search the internet" can be said for just about anything. If you do an internet search on, let's say peanut butter I am sure you can find some negative research on that.

I am not trying to be confrontational and I hope you don't take it that way, however, I do believe that ssri' have helped many people just as counseling has, however they are obviously not for everyone.

Just my opinion,
Keith

Old 04-25-2004, 06:04 PM   #10
Veteran

howard678 HB User

Kieth,

With all due respect, laying this at the feet of the Church of Scientology is a stretch to say the least. Withdrawal syndromes and negative side effects related to SSRIs are well documented. Even the drug companies tell you not to stop them abruptly. If you do your research you will find negative medical opinons as well as personal experiences that carry no religious labels. I`d have a hard time buying any Church of Scientology conspiracy...

Mild, even moderate anxiety and stress are part of life, especially in this fast paced technological world. Why not get off the hydros, a relatively short withdrawal period compared to psycoactive drugs, and work on dealing with it? The world seemed to do fine enough before these complex psychiatric drugs. I see no point in taking real risks unless one is in a most severe state. But in the end, we all have to make our own decisions, hopefully well informed, well thought out ones. Good luck.

Old 04-26-2004, 12:24 AM   #11
Inactive

doggreensector HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard678
Kieth,

With all due respect, laying this at the feet of the Church of Scientology is a stretch to say the least. Withdrawal syndromes and negative side effects related to SSRIs are well documented. Even the drug companies tell you not to stop them abruptly. If you do your research you will find negative medical opinons as well as personal experiences that carry no religious labels. I`d have a hard time buying any Church of Scientology conspiracy...

Mild, even moderate anxiety and stress are part of life, especially in this fast paced technological world. Why not get off the hydros, a relatively short withdrawal period compared to psycoactive drugs, and work on dealing with it? The world seemed to do fine enough before these complex psychiatric drugs. I see no point in taking real risks unless one is in a most severe state. But in the end, we all have to make our own decisions, hopefully well informed, well thought out ones. Good luck.
Howard,

First off please reread my comments. I am hardly laying all the blame for the bad press "at the feet of the Church of Scientology" However it is well documented that most of the negative press about ssri's was started by them and they don't make a secret about it, the organization in which they initiate many lawsuits is called "citizens against mental health abuse." L. Ron Hubbard who was the founder of "dianetics" which is part of Scientology was a fierce hater of psychiatry. That is hardly a "conspiracy." It has been docmented by such journals as the "New England journal of medicine" which is hardly a conspiracy rag.

You state in your comments that the world seemed to do fine before the psychoactive drugs. I am not sure what you mean by "fine." The "world" once considered any form of psychology as nonsense at and considered any form of mental illness possession by evil spirits. Again anyone can pull up negative consequences on just about any drug on the internet including antibiotics. Your argument against ssri's fails to take into consideration many variables.

I reiterate that taking psychoactive drugs is not always the answer and maybe my vicodin use was a phase, I don't know. One thing I do know is that I dont want to go there ever again. I don't ever want to scream at my wife again from the severe mood swings it caused. If some short time use of zoloft can put some chemicals right in my brain that vicodin screwed up I will give it a shot, along with some counseling and excersise.

With that being said you are entitled to your opinion even though I do not agree with you.

Have a good week,
Keith

Old 04-26-2004, 10:23 AM   #12
Inactive

over HB User

Hi Keith,

If you are severely depressed, I believe it can help you. Especially for women who are so affected by their hormones that it causes depression. However, if its mild depression coming off Vicodin and such, then its your brain that is adjusting to the lack of opiates, then I will have to agree with Howard678.

You can take vitamins, supplements and exercise daily to combat it. There is 5-HTP (OTC vitamin supplement) that boosts serotonin levels in the brain. I've taken it and it does help. I also have taken NONI (a hawaiin supplement) that affects your phytochemicals in your body that helps with detox. I also exercise and it has helped dissappate toxins from your body.

Please read the following articles on documents cases of ADs. Then you be the judge. Very scary. I have seen the long term changes in people that have taken it and it has changed their personalities as well. Doctors are big advocates of AD's.

[url]http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/2004-03-22-FDA-Talk-Paper-use-SSRIs.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/2004-03-23-WP-new-warning-antidep.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/2004-04-23-Study-link-antideps-suicide.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/2004-03-24-treatment-worse-depression.htm[/url]

Just my opinion, Keith. I don't know if I will truly need it one day. If I do, then I will cross that road then. But for now, I seem to be able to combat it with alternative methods.

Good luck and do research!

Take care.

Over

Old 04-26-2004, 03:53 PM   #13
Inactive

doggreensector HB User

Over,

I think that I am coming more from where you are at in that I am skeptical about ssri's, however, unlike howard I do not want to throw the baby out with the bath water. My doctor recommended a small dosage of zoloft for a bit and I am weighing both sides right now leaning more toward taking them short term. However I did hit the weights yesterday and I felt much better.

I don't want to be a person who turns toward a drink or a pill in order to deal with stress, or mild depression or whatever, but I am concerned about the fact that I took vikes for 14 months to alleviate stress and anxiety and for the buzz it gave me. Again it may have been just a "phase."

Thanks for the tips on the vitamins. I use to body build and took a good regiment of aminos and vitamins that really did give me a lot of energy. Being just a bit older now I could probably use them when I hit the gym.

I was not trying to be argumentative with howard only trying to come from a different angle. I hope you are doing well over and enjoying the sunny California weather. Since I am off of the vikes and looking more toward fitness and health again maybe I'll start surfing again if I can remember how.

Have a great day,

Keith

Old 04-26-2004, 06:48 PM   #14
Veteran

howard678 HB User

<< unlike howard I do not want to throw the baby out with the bath water.>>

Keith,

I do not think that is a good analogy for what amounts to a real gamble, and what appears to be, in your case, an unnecessary one. Again, research it, do not go just on what your doctor and a few people you know tell you. Many a doctor has gotten people screwed up on these drugs. I give the benefit of the doubt, am sure it is typically out of ignorance.

Old 04-26-2004, 07:03 PM   #15
Veteran

howard678 HB User

Kay Leigh,

You already know what I think of the Klonopin. And it is not mere opinion, comes with a wealth of scientific evidence as does my opinion regarding SSRIs. We live in a society that seems to not expect to hurt. But getting off drugs does hurt, and in my informed estimation it is better to go ahead and hurt while drawing on spiritual, social, and psychological resources rather than putting other toxic, dependency inducing drugs in one`s body. Especially ones that often cause rougher withdrawal syndromes than the drugs they are getting off of. This unless one is on the verge of suicide or has to work and cannot. Then I can understand rolling the dice...

Closed Thread