It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2004, 06:42 AM   #1

nedofhelp HB User
Angry how can i get weened and off oxys/and percs

hello everyone heres my story was diognosed with m.s back in feb/2001 also have some discs problems in back and in neck along with mild spinal stenosis , pain in back and neck really bad!! the m.s. is also bad joint pain tired and evrything that goes along with m.s. anyways ive been prescribed 90/40mg oxys and 120 7.5percocet for my pain for 2 solid years.im now getting what i think is my last script. for these meds,due too the mri showing mild disc problems not bad enough to do surgery pain doc sending me to therapy again. how and the world do i ween off?? im going to talk to pain doc and see if we can do this over a couple of months i dont no !!! can anyone help or give me ideas what to do please im afraid of withdraws ideas anyone thankyou much matt

Last edited by nedofhelp; 04-25-2004 at 07:20 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2004, 06:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User
Re: how can i get weened and off oxys/and percs

hi there if your dr is taking you off these medications he should always give you a weaning dose and tell you how to do it and if he didnt call him or her and tell them the way it is they cant just pull you off of medications like that at least here in mass they cant good luck kelleigh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2004, 08:14 AM   #3

dsny HB User

nevermind......

Last edited by dsnyken; 04-25-2004 at 10:21 AM.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:53 AM   #4

nedofhelp HB User
need advice how should i do this??????

ive been prescribed narcotics for my neck and back pain and m.s.. ive been on 90/40mg tablets of oxycontin and 120 7.5 percocet for over 2 years pain doc is sending me back to therapy to try to releve some of my pain,m.s doc says no pain with m.s i beg to differ!!!what would be the best way to ween off these meds??? as i cannot see taking these any longer. i have major depression and even have suicidal thoughts to the point of rigging shotgun with rope to make sure it would do the job right. well i think about it but hopefully would never to that to my wife and family. please any ideas would be very thankfull im addicted and afraid to be without them help!!!!!!!!!
matt

Old 04-26-2004, 10:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User
Re: need advice how should i do this??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedofhelp
ive been prescribed narcotics for my neck and back pain and m.s.. ive been on 90/40mg tablets of oxycontin and 120 7.5 percocet for over 2 years pain doc is sending me back to therapy to try to releve some of my pain,m.s doc says no pain with m.s i beg to differ!!!what would be the best way to ween off these meds??? as i cannot see taking these any longer. i have major depression and even have suicidal thoughts to the point of rigging shotgun with rope to make sure it would do the job right. well i think about it but hopefully would never to that to my wife and family. please any ideas would be very thankfull im addicted and afraid to be without them help!!!!!!!!!
matt
you need to talk to your doc about weaning you off are you on any kind of anti depressant please dont consider doing what you wrote about the shot gun your wife and family need you how many meds do you have left that way you can at least figure out a way to ween or look into suboxone it is very helpful with coming off any kind of opiate please hang in there post me back about the meds hugs kelleigh

Old 04-27-2004, 05:42 AM   #6
Inactive

sadsister HB User

No dr. thats decent-will just pull you off-these meds-please tell him that you will need to be tapered..if he must detox you-then ask about suboxone/or methadone to bring you down-this can be done in a week or two.
I seriously doubt hell just take you off-cold turkey..
Hey-no guns please..hold on-cos there are options.Between tapering/sub/methadone etc..you don't have to be thinking the worst...don't hurt yourself.I know how you feel-ive considered suicide-thankfully- i got off the drugs-and choose the suboxone route.
BTW-they also use suboxone for pain-id definitely talk to your doc about this-if you are really scared about coming off.
Hang in there-you got support here!
Heather

Old 04-27-2004, 05:43 AM   #7

nedofhelp HB User

thanks kelleigh, im filling my last script this wednesday 9o 40s and 120 percs,i guess im just scared oof running out and wd do most docs prescribe suboxone??? never heard of it!!! i usually take 5 40s per day trade my percs for more oxys but i think this month i will keep percs to help come off the oxys i dont no !!!11 i feel like i peice of crap. not working much do to the m.s and pain. thanks for responding i appreciate it much muaaaaaaaaaaaa. matt

Old 04-27-2004, 06:06 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedofhelp
thanks kelleigh, im filling my last script this wednesday 9o 40s and 120 percs,i guess im just scared oof running out and wd do most docs prescribe suboxone??? never heard of it!!! i usually take 5 40s per day trade my percs for more oxys but i think this month i will keep percs to help come off the oxys i dont no !!!11 i feel like i peice of crap. not working much do to the m.s and pain. thanks for responding i appreciate it much muaaaaaaaaaaaa. matt
did your doc give you weaning instructions on the last script if he did'nt find a new doc because if you really need these meds for pain get a second opinion but if you really want to get off of them there are many people on the board that are on suboxone you can post ane thread and ask about it unfortunatly the only thing i know about it is it reduces opiate craving also go on line there is tons of info on suboxone i really feel for you because i'd hate to hear of you going throughw/ds from both hope i helped keep me posted kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 04-27-2004 at 06:07 AM.

Old 04-27-2004, 10:02 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Philster2003 HB User

Nedofhelp;

You are taking the meds for pain and not because you are looking for the "high" ? Thatís the way I read your post but I had to ask.

If you are taking them as prescribed for the pain and the Dr believes you are not in need of them any longer because of MRI data but your pain has not gotten any better then you may need to get a second opinion or talk to another Dr or Pain Management group. I say that because I know of many folks who have CP (Chronic Pain) at a serious level that is not supported by MRI or other test data. Root cause for pain can be difficult to determine and many, many Dr's will not prescribe a pain management regime if not validated with test results. Seems short sighted but thatís happens.

I also know from experience that most Dr's do not know how to taper their patients off the pain meds they have prescribed. I live in Houston and you would think I would be able to find a Dr that would have helped me with a taper schedule for all of the opiates I was taking but sadly I came up empty. I finally used my friend the Net to learn and educate myself on tapering and I with the use of multiple info sources was able to create a taper schedule for myself. I then teamed with my PCP (Primary Care Physician) to implement the taper schedule. My Dr Reviewed the plan, timing and schedule, agreed and we worked through it over the next 60 days.

I can tell you to taper is not easy, actually one of the most difficult tasks I've ever completed in my life. I did taper at an accelerated pace so if you take it slower it shouldn't be as bad as what I went through but just the same its a difficult task as when your pain gets bad or you feel minor withdrawal discomfort its hard to resist taking a pill when you know by taking the pill all the pain and withdrawal goes away in about 15 mins. Like having the flu and you knew that you had a pill that when taken would make the flu symptoms go away in about 15 mins. Sub is certainly a choice but you may need to get off the sub so you will have to taper off sub at some point.

My thought is if you still have legit CP then please see another Dr for help as you may come off the pain meds you will still have issues with pain and you will need to address that sooner of later.

For what its worth, hope this helps

phil

Closed Thread