It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2004, 06:27 PM   #1

dschne HB User
my story looking for support

I have been reading this board for the last week or so and it has become such a insperation to me,knowing there are other people out there like me and i am not alone.I forst started taking hydro becouse of getting bad cough,s with bronchitis and started to like the cough med alot and then bam one doctor gave me a giant bottle with 5 refills and havent looked back.I am a good family man love my wife and 7yr old daughter more than anything in the world.I have a great job and have been doing it for 20 + yrs live in a wonderful house nice cars good dog the works you get the picture.well anyways i decided one slow night at work that surely i could find that cough med online and bam no prob then discovered vic,s tried them all fav was 10/500 or 10/650 best buzz anyways i just kept the fed-ex ups trucks rolling up for olmost a year and went through tons of money and lies to my wife and finally had to come clean with her . I decided that a long term treatment 30days i just did not have the time for that so decided to go to beverly hills from texas to a rapid detox 4 days so off i went in early Dec 2004.The detox sucked only for the fact I hate hospitals other wise i must day it helped but was home I think about 10 days and going to n/a meetings was feeling great going to the gym hitting the weights again feeling good about myself when I looked in the mirror I liked who I was looking at bit knowing the whole time I had a refill for tuss and vic,s and decided to fill it well i remember getting them and deciding either take some or call somebody ? what do you think I did ? right not call and have been going down ever since thaught I had it under control for a month or two but right back up to 20-30 a day now am lost again dont want to admit to my wife i relapsed so.My crazy mind is coming up with a plan i have started the gym now for 2 weeks and feel much better already next going to find a sub doc mon morn and make an appt I also have been taking ambien for 2 years now for sleep was on the night shift and needed something and also xanax 2mg bars i take both at night so i can sleep and I do.now all I want is to be rid of all this and I know I can do this I refuse to live like this anymore I am to young and life is great when you are not in a fog all day.I want to say you people seem like a wonderful loving group of ladies and gents and over,s story the other night really sounded like I was talking .If anyone has some suggestions will be very happy to take them especially on finding a sub doctor in houston.I REALLY WANT A CLAEN LIFE AGAIN AND THANK YOU PEOPLE FOR BEING HERE FOR SUPPORT AND LSITENING.HOPEFULLY WILL BE ABLE TO FIND A DOC TOMORROW AND GET THINGS STARTED.LOVE YA,LL D

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2004, 04:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User
Re: my story looking for support

Hey - I'm sorry that you have relapsed but I can just about guarantee that once you get on Suboxone, you will absolutely be amazed at how well you will be doing. I don't know if you've ever seen my posts about Sub but it saved my life, literally. I can pretty much tell you now that with Sub - you have energy and you feel NORMAL. It's difficult for me to look back during my addiction because Suboxone makes me feel so normal, like I never even had a problem w/hydros. I don't really crave much at all. Also, Suboxone will make you sleepy at nighttime so I bet you can just taper off of xanax and Ambien (be sure to tell your Sub doc about these) but you really shouldn't need them. Go to the Suboxone website and click on physician's locater. You will find a doc. Call them before you go and make sure they can prescribe it to you because they are only allowed 30 patients at a time. You will be amazed at where you will be in your life when you take it. Oh, also, as you know... you will be somewhat depressed when you get off of hydros so I would recommend an antidepressant for a short time, until you get over the shock of seeing the world clearly. It's pretty amazing and I remember thinking on my third or fourth day of sub how sobriety sucked. I know taking sub isn't complete sobriety, but there is NO high with it at all and you see things very clearly. Then, thank goodness I had started on an antidepressant and it kicked in and really helped me.

I'm happy for you that you have made this decision. It will be one that you absolutely will not regret. Please keep us posted and seriously, you are saving your life and your family by doing what you are doing! Also, I would like to hear more about this rapid detox when you have time. What did they use to do it, how did you feel afterwards, etc. I've heard that it is NOT the way you should go because you are still really sick afterwards??? Is this not the case?

Gotta get ready for work but I just wanted to tell you congrats and keep us posted!!!

Old 04-26-2004, 09:15 AM   #3

User 205000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschne
I know I can do this I refuse to live like this anymore I am to young and life is great when you are not in a fog all day.

I REALLY WANT A CLAEN LIFE AGAIN
D, If you are tired of living the lie, and you mean what you say, ie, "I really want a clean life again", and "I know I can do this", then skip the sub route and quit and get CLEAN. Your story is no different than mine (except for the relapse, and I took more than you did), but I had just as much at stake as you (wife, child, career, house, freedom, everything).

You have already quit once, so you can do it again, and you must, before it is too late. I strongly, but respectfully, disagree with Banker on suboxone for hydro users (the half life is so short compared to other opiates). I urge you to search this board and read all the stories about this drug, and how few have been able get off it. Once you quit the hydro, you won't need the sleeping drugs in a month. You will feel so good, you won't believe it. Having a clean brain is such a warm welcome after abusing hydro. Please read the two threads between me and Everyday ("Thank god I found this board, and "Everyday"), who just quit hydro (about the same level as you). It is so worth it, and don't you think a week of feeling lousy is worth it to get your life back? And to not be dependent on a replacement drug? Suck it up and get clean, for the sake of your family, at least.

Last edited by User 205000; 04-26-2004 at 09:45 AM.

Old 04-26-2004, 12:54 PM   #4

dschne HB User

Hi Banker just getting into work now will ove to talk to you about t also I got a Dic appt tomorrow 9.15 am I am so excited or happy or whatever just some end in sight I hope will write later soon as I get some time . Thanks also can we use emails in this forum to each other just wondering.

Old 04-26-2004, 01:02 PM   #5

dschne HB User

To User thank you so much for your input it is well noted and I fully know what you are talking about its just I cannot be sniffing hot sweating sick feeling like **** this whole week the Dr. I have spoke with basically said the same as you did just that he gets results with a 4 week program and taper of the sub and must anttend meetings n/a I know wanting this for me not for just my wife and daughter is more important and I truly want it its weird im already today much lower dose and worked out this am took my vitamins protein etc and feel great so I really feel I am headed the right way.Thanks again for your support and kindness.

Old 04-26-2004, 02:13 PM   #6
Inactive

over HB User

Daniel,

Hi, its Over. I tried to answer you on the other posting. Are you going through the withdrawls right now? Read my posting and read the communication between User and I about Sub vs hydro withdrawl. Then you make your decision. From what I understand from your posting to User, you may be able to do it without the Sub?

I would tell your wife about everything and your absolute determination in becoming and staying clean. Then, have her help you with the withdrawl process by being there and babying you throughout. How lucky you are! Then in about 7 days, you will feel like a million bucks. The first 3 days truly are the worst. Sub helps but still you are delaying the withdrawls. Not only that, they are two fold when you get off it because Sub is a long acting opiate. Takes 36 hours for it to leave your body compared to hydros that take about 5 hours. So the withdrawls will still be there for you, but delayed and extensive. I've done it both ways and both are not fun. You're going to have to taper off the Sub anyway, so why not try by tapering off your hydros instead? I had to go back on hydros to taper off Sub because I couldn't take the Sub withdrawls! Then after, I completely quit.

Read on and only you can be the judge. But, you are making the right decision by quitting drugs. We are here to help you. Your wife and child are going to be so so happy to have their husband and dad back. Congrats on your decision!

Take care.

Over.

Old 04-26-2004, 02:21 PM   #7

dschne HB User

No I am not w/d now still have plenty really tried hard to think about a taper but I have been so weak at that if only I was as head strong as body my bench was 315lbs today no prob anyways that doesnt work and being in my line of work just cannot go through that hell another thaught was to jump on plane down to cozumel and lay by the pool for 3 days to get thru the worst 3 days.....I dunno my mind is going crazy right now just want this to end now.will be back shortly have to work awhile.also another thaught you put into my mind the sub way is going to cost me so much not worried about paying for the dr bill but the meds are very expensive according to the nurse i spoke with this am.

Old 04-26-2004, 02:24 PM   #8

dschne HB User

Also one quick question is it poss to just stay on a low dose of the sub then hopefully go through some slight w/d,s working out vitamans,lots of water and eating healthy is really helping already.

Old 04-26-2004, 03:08 PM   #9

sammi HB User

Daniel,
Hi, I thought I could help out with your last question. I have been on Sub six weeks as of today. The Sub has helped me in two ways, I have chronic back pain and also I was addicted to Norco. I'm looking at having back surgery in the next year or two so rather than taking motrin or tylenol on a daily basis which we all know is not good for the liver the Sub has helped with the pain. However it has also helped me stay away from the Norco's. I know it is still an opiate but I now don't have to worry about whether or not I'm going to wake up in the morning.
I take two 2mg's of the Sub each morning. I started out taking one 2mg in the morning and then another one in the evening but it was not helping with the back pain so the Dr suggested that I take two in the morning and be done with it for the day and if I need that third one in the afternoon I could take it, but so far I've done fine with just the two in the morning. I pay three dollars per pill which seems to be the going price.
There is another member on this board, I think it may be Kimbee or StacyVictor, but she only has to take one 2mg pill a day.

Good luck with your decision!
Sammi

Old 04-26-2004, 03:31 PM   #10

dschne HB User

can you tell me kinda what to expect from this doc possibly tomorrow I will be honest with him today was back back to my normal amount of hydro about 20 already and its 0530cst now.how much i willl have to take in the begining and then the taper etc......thanks so much you people really are a god send great support........

Old 04-26-2004, 03:33 PM   #11

dschne HB User

Also FYI I have no real pain right now slight sore muscles from weight training etc but good pain if you understand that.

Old 04-26-2004, 07:22 PM   #12

sammi HB User

Daniel,

I totally agree that you should be 100% honest with your Dr. The day I made my appointment with my addictionologist he called me that night and went over a few question's I had about the Sub. He instructed me to not take any hydro's for at least 24 hours prior to my visit so I would be in w/d's for my appointment. That way he's able to find out how bad your w/d's are and can rx'd the correct dosage. However I must admit that I cheated and by the time I went to see him I was only in my 15th hour of w/d's. I was honest with him and told him exactly when my last hydro was and it wasn't a problem. From what I understand not all Dr's require you to be in w/d's for your appointment. If your Dr didn't tell you not to take any hydro's prior to your appointment tomorrow then don't worry about it. You will not believe how good you start feeling IMMEDIATELY. I have not craved hydro's at all. Suboxone has worked really well for myself and others on this board. And obvisouly, like any drug, it's not for everyone. I feel like my old self again which I didn't think was possible.

Please feel free to ask any other question's you may have and PLEASE let me know how your appointment goes tomorrow.

Good luck,
Sammi

Old 04-26-2004, 07:32 PM   #13

sammi HB User

Oh I forgot to answer one of your questions, once he puts you on the Sub, you will no longer need the hydro's. So no need to worry about a taper. Just one suggestion, I personally would flush every hydro down the toliet once you start the Sub so there's no going back and if you did have a thought of taking another hydro, by the time you would get your hands on one, you may have already changed your mind.
Not sure if you've been to the Suboxone website but you may want to check it out.

Again, good luck,
Sammi

Old 04-27-2004, 02:00 PM   #14

dschne HB User

Thanks Sammi for the great inpute/advice I was honest with him had to take my get out of bed dose this am but havent had one since today usally by now would have choked down about 25 or so and your right I really do feel good today went tp the gym that doubled my good feeling now off to gymnastics with my daughter so talk to ya/ll tomorrow and will update I have a follow up appt at 9.40 am tomorrow with him again.Thanks so much all of you have saved my life......Dan

Old 04-28-2004, 05:11 AM   #15

dschne HB User

Good Morn To All Of You Today Is A New Day I Already Feel Different Just Waking Up And Having My Coffe Not All Hung Over But I Slipped The The Afternoon And Had 4 Blues And Had Very Restless Sleep Last Night No Matter What But It Beats The Hell Out Of How I Felt The Day Before Going Back To Doc Today At 9.40am So I/ll Write When I Get Back Off To Play Dad For A While Befotre School Have A Wonderful Day Today Ya/ll And Thnaks.daniel

Closed Thread