It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2004, 08:13 AM   #1
Inactive

doggreensector HB User
I am very discouraged

Yesterday I went to the doctor for a nasty ear infection. This was very painful. The doctor gave me antibiotic eardrops and some stuff called ultracet. I was assured by my doctor and the pharmacist (two of them mind you) that this is a non-narcotic, non addictive. I started to become suspicious yesterday after I took two of them and yes the pain went away but guess what? I started to feel that I had taken vicodin. I called the pharmacist again and he assured me that this medication is non opiate and non narcotic and non addictive.

Well this morning I woke up and felt that "good ole fashion opiate hangover" I searched the internet and found a site that says that ultracet is a "synthetic codeine with a morphine like derivative. "

I would have had 10 days today off of vikes now I feel like I am starting all over again. I have to go to work and I have an opiate hangover and probably will go through some more wd's again. I have thrown out the other two ultracets that I had left. This sucks and I am really depressed right now. I worked hard to stay off of vikes and now I feel like crap.

Keith

Old 04-27-2004, 08:26 AM   #2

corran HB User
Re: I am very discouraged

That sucks. I'm sorry you got such rotten advice.
Don't get too discouraged-- you've done what you need to do, which was throw out the rest of the stuff. Hang in there, you will do fine.

The other thing is--- remember to eat! Antibiotics on an empty stomach can make you feel pukey and crappy too. See if you can get some local anesthetic drops to put in your ear (only if you don't have a ruptured ear drum). Stuff like motrin, alleve can also help decrease some of the inflammation, and perhaps give you some comfort. Tylenol helps too, and you can alternate the tylenol with either the ibuprofen or naprosyn, to give you some relief during the day. Your ear should start feeling better soon.

Stay tuff!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2004, 08:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Philster2003 HB User

Keith, don't get to down on yourself. Life is a series of lessons learned. Anytime a Dr prescribes a medication, now that I have the Net, I thoroughly research what it is I've been prescribed and what it is and all info about it. Ultracet is basically tramadol and Acetaminophen combined. Ultram (tramadol) is the same thing except with no Acetaminophen and at a slightly higher does of 50mg. per tab. As you said it is not a true opiate but it is a synthetic form and it is addictive and does carry withdrawal symptoms if used long enough or abused. I remember when my Dr prescribed Ultram for me and said it was really a non-opiate and non addictive. He was and is a good guy and Dr and I think he just wasn't as informed as many other Dr's are just not informed as to what Ultram is really all about. They need to get more knowledgeable for the sake of their patients but it is what it is.

If you have only taken the Ultracet for two days as prescribed I really doubt you will have any withdrawal symptoms, I could be wrong but I think your not in danger of withdrawal with two days use. Even if you were only a few days removed from the vic's.

Bottom line Keith, you did not intend take the meds for a buzz or high. You took it for legitimate pain. Thatís a big factor and difference. Donít waste anymore time on the situation, move on and continue down the wonderful path of opiate free life. It only gets better and better.

Hope that helps you mind set.

phil

Old 04-27-2004, 08:41 AM   #4
Inactive

over HB User

Hey Keith,
I just read about Ultracet. In essence, it is not addictive nor a true narcotic because its meant to be a very short term pain reliever. However, it still weakly binds to mu-opiod receptors of the CNS system, thus not truly making it a true narcotic nor addictive. But, it has to bind for pain relief. But, maybe the doctor thought your pain was pretty bad and in reality it is safer than Vicodin and any other schedule III drug. It also states that it SHOULD NOT be meant to be taken for anyone who has had opiate dependancy. The side effects are the same as opiates, but way mild.

That sucks though that the doctor gave it to you anyway. I guess your doctor doesn't know that you had a problem of the past? Besides, you threw everything out already. Don't worry about it too much. You won't have to go through more withdrawls. You're body has already done that. By taking the Ultracet, it fools your body into a very slow taper so your body will feel fine actually, if not better by tomorrow.

Take care.

Old 04-27-2004, 08:50 AM   #5
Inactive

mouse62 HB User

My dr. described Tramadol as part painkiller and part anti-depressant. I find that it gives a sensation a bit similar to opiates but not quite. The medical world is really out of touch with whether this stuff causes withdrawals or not. But you only took it for a day under dr's orders, so you did not lose your clean time, nor are you dependent on it.

Old 04-27-2004, 09:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Philster2003 HB User

I havenít been around to much lately but a few will remember me and I have a bit of experience with opiates and Ultram, lol so I wanted to add these thoughts from personal experience. I know all about Ultram (tramadol) and it's classification but I also know that the withdrawal from tramadol was much worse then from Vicodin or Duragesic (fentanyl). Much worse. Its partly due to the half life being much longer then Vicodin, similar to methadone.

With only a couple of days taking Ultracet you should really be OK Keith, but for anyone else don't think that Ultram (tramadol) is easier then the opiates because its not. Do a search here on Ultram and you will find a large body of information about the down side of Ultram if abused or taken for extended periods of time. There are many who have experienced like me the withdrawals associated with Ultram, not fun by any stretch of the mind.

Just wanted to throw that out as Ultram has been discussed many times over the past and its good to know as much as possible.

phil

Old 04-27-2004, 10:31 AM   #7

NeverAgain HB User

Philster is right on the money. I was addicted to Ultram and recently Hydro's. Ultram carried hellish W/D's with it, much worse than the Hydro's. Be very carefull taking them.

B

Old 04-27-2004, 11:07 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggreensector
Yesterday I went to the doctor for a nasty ear infection. This was very painful. The doctor gave me antibiotic eardrops and some stuff called ultracet. I was assured by my doctor and the pharmacist (two of them mind you) that this is a non-narcotic, non addictive. I started to become suspicious yesterday after I took two of them and yes the pain went away but guess what? I started to feel that I had taken vicodin. I called the pharmacist again and he assured me that this medication is non opiate and non narcotic and non addictive.

Well this morning I woke up and felt that "good ole fashion opiate hangover" I searched the internet and found a site that says that ultracet is a "synthetic codeine with a morphine like derivative. "

I would have had 10 days today off of vikes now I feel like I am starting all over again. I have to go to work and I have an opiate hangover and probably will go through some more wd's again. I have thrown out the other two ultracets that I had left. This sucks and I am really depressed right now. I worked hard to stay off of vikes and now I feel like crap.

Keith
keith i'm sorry about your situation i did the same thing when i came off methadone they prescribed me tramadol for my back pain so i took them and i didnt get a buzz but ifelt normal because i was a phychological mess at the time and i said to myself this is messed up so i reasearched and could not believe the horror stories i read you didnt intentionally take these pills for the sake of the high you didnt know so dont look at it as any kind of set back at all you did the right thing by throwing them away ear infections are very painful and you needed relief so please dont be so hard on yourself youre doing great just dont dwell on this situation it wasnt your fault keep up the good work kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 04-27-2004 at 11:09 AM.

Old 04-27-2004, 11:24 AM   #9
Inactive

John 808 HB User

I think I posted to you on a previous thread, Keith, about the Ultracet/Ultram after someone had stated that it was non-narcotic and non-addictive, giving my opinion, after personal experience and net research, that IT WAS!!!!

Just like you found- a synthetic opiate- which means it is a "form" of a narcotic and can be very addictive and cause withdrawals.

But, like Phil said, since you have been on them for just a few days- things will probably be okay, but yes, that is discouraging. Most doctors inform patients that tramadol is non-narcotic and non-addictive because that is how they were informed by the drug companies that are pushing/representing this drug. But, like I said, it is being pushed to be classified as a controlled substance. We'll see if they ever do it? My addictionologist told me though, that I will never be able to take this drug because of its narcotic properties....and just like the site you read said..."should not be used by those with a opiate dependancy"...wonder why?

Hang in there and pick yourself back up...I know you can do it!!!

God bless!
michelle

Old 04-27-2004, 12:18 PM   #10
(female)

Nikka HB User

Keith,
I think you need to let yourself off the hook!!! It is ok - if you want this to be day 10 then it is. I agree with Phil; you did not intentionally seek out a high. There is a big difference here and hope you have a speedy recovery with that nasty ear infection!!!

Old 04-27-2004, 12:39 PM   #11

User 205000 HB User

Dog, you didn't screw up...time to move on to day 11. OK?

Old 04-27-2004, 01:22 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Philster2003 HB User

Agree move on to day 11 and keep adding to the total, no need to restart the counter as you did nothing intentional.

phil

Old 04-27-2004, 07:32 PM   #13

jenny1973 HB User

I just have to add my 2 cents seeing that I just got out of a treatment center due to a tramadol addiction. I am still suffering from the withdrawls and today is day 14 for me. I CT'd from Vikes a few months back and that was a cake walk compared to this. I just pray that the next day will be my turning point...however if not I will still never touch those little white round pills again. It makes me sick that these pills are so easily accessable and classified as if they are non-addictive. I actually got the pills to help with legit pain after I got myself off the vicodin thinking they were non-addictive. That was the biggest mistake of my life and I am truely paying for it. Like everyone else say move on to day 11..your use was not intentional and you did the smart thing!!
Jenny

Old 04-27-2004, 10:06 PM   #14
Inactive

doggreensector HB User

Thank you all for the encouragement. I literally cannot hear out of my left ear right now but the pain is gone. I will never take ultracet again. I had a basic opiate hangover all day today and I can see that the wd's from these could be horrible.

I was kind of upset today about this and called a pharmacist to tell him that these things made me feel like I was on vicodin. He gave me the same line that they are not addictive have no wd's and are not opiates and that the buzz I felt was probably just in my mind. I am sure that he is only parroting what he has been told by the drug manufacturers.

Thank you all so much I feel better mentally, altogether I took eight over a 24 hour period , two every six hours and I hope that does not cause wd's. If it does then it does. I will get past it.

Keith

Old 04-28-2004, 05:46 AM   #15
(male)

bobby56 HB User
Exclamation Re: I am very discouraged

Please dont be discouraged, as the other posters have told you. Everyone needs to understand how ADDICTING Ultram and/or Ultracet. I have been on it since 1998, taking more than 10/day and let me tell u that when i start to try to taper or stop ct, i go through such restless leg symptoms and endless tickle in my throat at nite.

But please hang in there and all my blessings go out to you in your recovery.

Closed Thread