It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2004, 02:21 PM   #1
(female)

DannDees HB User
Why? Why? Why?

Husband always says I sound like a kid with my whys? I guess I just always had the need to know why things happen. SO on that note, here is my why question. WHY is the brain unable to shut down to go to sleep during withdraws. Also, if I feel pretty good but still unable to sleep am I still going through withdraws? thanks to any with help...

Old 04-27-2004, 02:32 PM   #2

NeverAgain HB User
Re: Why? Why? Why?

I think we completely screw our brains up using. When we get clean our brain has to re-learn how to sleep, give energy, provide pleasure etc. correctly. I don't know if that made any sense, that's just how I view it. I do know some things are so difficult only time can heal them. In time your sleep will return.

B

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2004, 02:40 PM   #3

jenny1973 HB User

I am struggling with these things as well. I really feel like my brain is messed up right now and I have been clean for 2 weeks today. I keep waiting for it to get better, but it sucks. I can't sleep and I feel so lifeless in the mornings especially. I have zero energy and I yawn constantly. The only time I feel somewhat content is when I am laying in the bath or outside in the sunlight. Thank goodness we are having such beautiful weather right now. I feel like my brain is completely confused at the moment. Regardless I would rather be going thru this then still thinking these pills have total control over my life. I know it will get better in time, but meanwhile we just have to deal and let me tell you thats not easy to do with 3 small kids. Does anyone with experience have any idea how long it takes to begin to function normally again?? My habit was minimal and only lasted 9 months. I thought I would snap out of this faster!!
Jenny

Old 04-27-2004, 02:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

daandees its me again methadone or any other opiate affects the chemicals in are brain and totally screws them up the one that makes us sleep and so on and it takes awile for them to get back to normal methadone w/d are the longest besides benzos thats why i'm so glad i had trazadone because it enabled me to sleep because to me that was one of the worst w/d symptoms you will sleep again it just takes time and i know it seems like eternity but you will make it thats why i finally had to end up going to counceling because after 1 month i couldnt take it anymore just hang in there i completly know what your going through and my heart is with you hugs and much luv to all who are going through this kelleigh

Old 04-27-2004, 05:44 PM   #5
(female)

DannDees HB User

last night due to lack of sleep I read post on here that were years old...should have chat line for people who can't sleep while having w/d's..I get nervous when night gets near. I try to wake up husband .. He says "it's OK" and goes right back to sleep> I was always the type of person, even b-4 methadone, that loved to sleep. So this is pi**ing me off, besides scaring me.. I tried the benadryl and it doesn't work for me. I saw that methadone stays in you for 12 days. Last pill for me was 12 days and 3 1/2 hous ago. so fingers are crossed that sleep will come tonight..does anyone know anything about amitrypilene (SP?) for sleep? Jenny ,I love the bath also. I had hubby buy bath pillow and actually tried to sleep in there, unfortunately, my tub is too small.

Old 04-27-2004, 07:23 PM   #6

jenny1973 HB User

Danndees..
Try the bath with some Epsom Salt in it. I did last night and I actually slept 6 hours straight. I laso drank a cup of hot green tea at night. That stuff you asked about isn't that the stuff they say is in Turkey?? Its something like that which is suppose to make you sleepy. I tried tylenol PM and that didn't do jack for me. I just got out of another bath with epsom salt so lets pray I have another decent night. Funny my friend gave me a gift today that had these mineral bath salts and a bath pillow. I just used it and it was gret! Hope you get a good nights sleep!
Jenny

Old 04-27-2004, 07:47 PM   #7
Inactive

John 808 HB User

Jenny,

Let me say a big AMEN to the yawning....I swear, I yawn about fifty times a day! It drives me insane!

I am sorry you are still feeling yucky! Hang in there!

God bless,
Michelle

Old 04-27-2004, 08:12 PM   #8

dsny HB User

The thing that helped me sleep was taking 3 Benadryls and 1 Melatonin 1 hour before bed.The combo of the 2 knocked me out for at least 5 hours and when I was having the leg fits I would take some Advil with everything else.It really did help me at every stage of the withdrawal process.

Ken

Old 04-27-2004, 09:31 PM   #9
(female)

DannDees HB User

ken
what is melatonin? sorrry if I sound dumb , but never heard of it. Going to make trip to wal-mart here in a few to get epsom salt & the green tea. I already been trying the benadryl but only 2 at time. if anyone can answer besides ken feel free because I would like to pick it up tonight while I am out , if its possible.. thanks again to all.

Old 04-28-2004, 05:05 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannDees
last night due to lack of sleep I read post on here that were years old...should have chat line for people who can't sleep while having w/d's..I get nervous when night gets near. I try to wake up husband .. He says "it's OK" and goes right back to sleep> I was always the type of person, even b-4 methadone, that loved to sleep. So this is pi**ing me off, besides scaring me.. I tried the benadryl and it doesn't work for me. I saw that methadone stays in you for 12 days. Last pill for me was 12 days and 3 1/2 hous ago. so fingers are crossed that sleep will come tonight..does anyone know anything about amitrypilene (SP?) for sleep? Jenny ,I love the bath also. I had hubby buy bath pillow and actually tried to sleep in there, unfortunately, my tub is too small.
deandees amitryptyline is an antidepressant i was on it for sleep ffor awile they use lower doses for sleep hope it helps hugs kelleigh

Old 04-28-2004, 10:22 AM   #11

dsny HB User

Melatonin is a natural herb and is sold in the vitamin section in Walmart.Try taking the Melatonin with the 2 Benadryl your taking now and see if it helps you.Keep us posted.

Closed Thread