It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2004, 05:07 PM   #1
Inactive

farmboy7 HB User
Lightbulb Hints to ease WITHDRAWAL

Hello,
I am currently doing a taper off of methadone and am looking for hints to make it easier. Please post all suggestions that have helped you. Maybe if we get enough information on here the mods will make it a "sticky" because I know it's a hot subject.

Foods and supplements that help or that should be avoided? For some reason I think about orange juice and chocolate.

Exercise. walking, yoga, swimming are some of the things I try.

Brain. What tricks do you have to keep your mind busy and off the symptoms?

Sleep. Withdrawal definitly disrupts your sleep patterns, how do you deal with it.

Dosing. If you are tapering, when are the best times to take your medicine and how do you time the reductions?

Other. I like to wash my face with hot water and it also feels good to put the hot washcloth on th back of my neck.

That's all I can think of for now. Please send any and all suggestions. We need help! Thanks.

farmboy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2004, 07:31 PM   #2
(female)

DannDees HB User
Re: Hints to ease WITHDRAWAL

Good luck with that! I did not taper as I was only on 10mg. a day but I was on that for 2 years. Well I can tell you something to keep in your mind when It gets really rough once you do stop.
Know that you really are not dieing you only feel like it.
Know that a skinny weak girl like me did it so you can too.

I requested so many things that sent my husband to the store often, I will try to remember them all
1- heating pad
2- four extra pillows
3-bath pillow
4-x tra soft tissue, nose was raw from sneezing so much
5-benadryl
6-bottle water
7-epsom salt
8- funny as it sounds I had him buyme one of those pool noodle things to put under my lower back
9-chocolate is suppose to have same endorphins as opiates? didn't help me, I tried
10-I played so many mind games with myself. The best was pretending I was on fear factor and if I took pill I lost!
11- I gave my pills to my husband since I know he loves me. Told him you give me one when you think I can not handle anymore.When I was real bad I would look at him and say " you think I can handle this?" He would say "ya"Him believing in me made me believe in myself.
also, I think the thing that helped me the most was a journal. Even when my arms were flapping like a retarded pidgeon I wrote in my journal what I was feeling. The bath tub and I became pretty good friends! how long do you plan to taper/ let me know your final day of pills.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2004, 09:20 PM   #3
Inactive

herbal HB User

For sleep difficulties, you can buy an over the counter sleep aid that has diphenhydramine as the active ingredient. It is the exact same thing as plain ol' Bennadryl.

I bought a box of 24, 25mg tablets at the Dollar General one time because I could not sleep, period! You take two tablets, and about 30 mins later, you're head will be hitting the pillow. Haha.

Unisom is a well known brand that you might be able to find.

I also suggest Melatonin. Because it is safe, and impossible to overdose on. Usually, each Melatonin tablet is 300mcg (.3mg). I usually take 8 tablets of that. Which equals 2.4mg. When Melatonin kicks in, it isn't a drugged up feeling, but rather just a normal sleepiness. You can find Melatonin in the vitamin section almost anywhere.

Old 04-29-2004, 05:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

fb7 i think danndees and herbal covered alot of what you need to know one thing that helped me was taking baths and hot showeres cause it's suppose to get the methadone out of your system faster and i think its quinine water that's suppose to help with leg twitching benedryl also helped me with the sneezing part because i sneezed so my much i hurt my back worse i took trazadone for sleep i know there are some that disagree with it but let me tell i never had a night i didn't sleep and clonodine from a doc will help ease the anxiety from it unfortunatly i could'nt take it cause my blood pressure is to low the only that made me feel better was fudgsicles i wish you alot of luck on this and don't forget that heating pad my thoughts are with you kelleigh

Old 04-29-2004, 05:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

one more thing make sure you have some one to talk to through it all that helped me alot my whole family was awesome i talked them to death and they still kept listening and sending me cards and stuff like that talking about your accomplishments really helps and knowing people support you helps in the relapse department again my heart and thoughts are with you kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 04-29-2004 at 06:49 PM.

Old 04-29-2004, 07:35 AM   #6
Inactive

mouse62 HB User

For the withdrawal abdominal pain & possibly diarrhea, if you can get a couple of lomotil tabs for the first few days, then switch to Immodium, it helps. Lomotil does contain a small amount of "opiate" and Immodium contains "opiod -- acting" ingredient. I think you need a script for the lomotil. Just don't take too much of either or you will be rewarded with constipation.

Old 04-29-2004, 11:07 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

save your money the only thing that will help is plain ole time and thats about it.immodium helps for runs but nothin and i mean nothin will make you feel good durin w/ds.take it to the bank.only time will help and if you take one pill you have to start all over again trust me-spark

Old 04-29-2004, 11:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

sparcocet your right i was going to say that but i did'nt want to discourage him but i guess we have to be blunt one thing that did help ease mine for maybe 9 days out of the five weeks i went through methadone w/d was a fentynal patch that iweaned off of thats the only true thing that makes it a little better but i went cold turkey and i don't know how it works for weaning of methadone kelleigh

Old 04-29-2004, 06:09 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

also would like to say that we cant ever give up the fight to get clean.once we give up then the disease has won.if we mess up and take a pill hear and there then we have got to start over no matter what.-spark

Old 04-29-2004, 06:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark-o-cet
also would like to say that we cant ever give up the fight to get clean.once we give up then the disease has won.if we mess up and take a pill hear and there then we have got to start over no matter what.-spark
SO VERY TRUE!!!!!!!! HANG IN THER FB7

Last edited by no patience; 04-29-2004 at 06:47 PM.

Old 04-29-2004, 06:55 PM   #11

tweetygurl12003 HB User

i got off heroin in 1999..for sleep,i took soma which is a muscle relaxant..something else that works good to sleep is melatonin..found in any food nutrition store.i'ts very inexpensive and works really well.melatonin is a natural chemical that the brain releases so it's in no way addicting and works well...

Old 04-29-2004, 06:57 PM   #12

tweetygurl12003 HB User

i used melatonin..its a natural sleep aid and is found in any food and nutrition store...

Old 04-29-2004, 06:59 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetygurl12003
i used melatonin..its a natural sleep aid and is found in any food and nutrition store...
tweetygurl congrats on being off heroin since 1999 thats awesome keep up the good work kelleigh

Old 04-29-2004, 06:59 PM   #14
(female)

everyday HB User

Spark , I just want to say I agree with you , popping a pill here & there is only going to start the process again!
Today is day 13 of being free of Vikes -I was a heavy pill popper. With the support of USER . I finally made up my mind to quit my addiction. My body had been talking to me for sometime - girl - you can not keep doing this much longer - My W/D'S SUCK - I have not takin anything expect green tea , plenty of water. I hurt , I ache & NO SLEEP - But each day my mind is so much clearer. I am not worried about my pill bottle getting low & where to go to get my pills.
See it is possible to be clean. To everyone on the board please keep a postive outlook - the W/D's is nothing compare to living our life with PILLS! Ask yourself , What do you have to live for?

T

Old 04-29-2004, 09:04 PM   #15
Inactive

herbal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by everyday
Spark , I just want to say I agree with you , popping a pill here & there is only going to start the process again!
Today is day 13 of being free of Vikes -I was a heavy pill popper. With the support of USER . I finally made up my mind to quit my addiction. My body had been talking to me for sometime - girl - you can not keep doing this much longer - My W/D'S SUCK - I have not takin anything expect green tea , plenty of water. I hurt , I ache & NO SLEEP - But each day my mind is so much clearer. I am not worried about my pill bottle getting low & where to go to get my pills.
See it is possible to be clean. To everyone on the board please keep a postive outlook - the W/D's is nothing compare to living our life with PILLS! Ask yourself , What do you have to live for?

T

Great for you

I don't know if you read my post about my fear of opiate addiction or not, but please do if you have time. It's a newer post so it shouldn't be too hard to find. It's called "I'm done with it"

In a nutshell: My doc has prescribed Ultram 50mg to me. I get a bottle of 20 tablets every time I ask for more. I really do need it for pain, but I use it for recreation so much. And I'm scared I'll never stop, and let it seep into addiction. I havn't used any for recreation for a week now. I have used one for pain yesterda and it did not produce euphoria. Which is a good thing. I now need two tablets to cause euphoria.

Closed Thread