It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2004, 06:04 PM   #1

Brenda1231 HB User
A Hello and ? about Subutex

Hi all.

I am a hydro addict. I have been desperately trying to get clean since the beginning of March. won't get into the sordid details of my failures, but I have managed 3-4 days clean using temgesic, which is a much weaker version of subutex, I believe. I was using the .2 mg buprenorphine from IOP's. I was very sick both times, violently vomiting, aches, cold sweats....had all of the severe w/d symptons, despite the temgesic.

I take a disgusting amount of norco a day. 16-22 10/325's. I can take 50 mg. in one dose without getting 'high'. It takes at least 30 mg. every 3.5 to 4 hours just to stay out of w/d.

Last week I tapered to 12 a day, only to binge all weekend and go up to more than 20 a day.

So Monday I caved in and checked the buprenorphine Physician Locator to find a bupe Doctor in my area. There were only 2 doctors in my area from the buprenorphine physician locator. 1 said she wasn't scripting the subutex right now and offered me fentanyl patches, trazadone and clonidine, and wanted $250 per visit. Which made me think I might be getting out of the frying pan into the fire, so I said no thanks.

The other I have an appt. with next week, to see if I qualify for the program. I know the fee for that visit is $156.00

Can anyone offer me advice on what they 'qualify' you on?
Also I have no insurance. Can anyone tell me what to expect as for cost? I know the Dr visits are going to be around $150. But what about the subutex? How much is that without insurance? How often do you see the Doctor (provided I even qualify). How long do you stay on the medicine?

If anyone can give me any advice, any ideas on cost, any clues on what to expect, etc. I would greatly appreciate it.
~B

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2004, 08:15 PM   #2
Inactive

John 808 HB User
Re: A Hello and ? about Subutex

Don't have time to really get into all the specifics now..will try to tomorrow, but $150 is great..my visit cost me $510..so, I'd definately make that app.!

Old 04-29-2004, 05:18 AM   #3
Inactive

sadsister HB User

Brenda-
Go for the gold-156.00 is reasonable-and the cost for the pills is between 150-300.00 a month-depending on doseage-not bad.Im sure you were spending much more on hydro..as i did w/ my drugs.
Sub is an excellent med-it helped me-and i was near hopeless.
Good luck!
Heather

Old 04-29-2004, 10:45 AM   #4

sammi HB User

Brenda,
Hi, just getting ready to walk out the door, but I agree with the other posters, $156 is not bad. Also, expect to spend about $3 per pill. I have been on Suboxone now for 6 1/2 weeks and it has been a God send. From what I have read from your post, I don't think you should have a problem getting the Sub.

I promise to post to you later.

Sammi

Michelle- I'm glad to see that you're posting a little more. I've been thinking about you!!! I know you were worried about running out of sub, have you made another appointment with an addictionologist? Let me know how you're doing.

Love,
Sammi

Old 04-29-2004, 11:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

Michelle - make that appointment with the other doctor. Please? I know you don't want to stay on Sub (and you don't have to for life) but I wish you would try Suboxone... It makes all of the difference in the world. If you can get on Sub and even take it for a year or two... then you can worry about w/ds later. At least you will learn how to live your life without searching for pills and you will be better able to handle 'sobriety' after you've been on Suboxone for a while. I do not think you need to take Subutex as you know that if you take hydros, you still get a high but with Suboxone there will be no high, no matter what you take. Just please consider it. I feel like I've been begging and begging. It will help you. If you cannot go to meetings on a regular basis and go through withdrawals right now (doesn't mean you can't later on)... It just makes sense to me to do it now. If it didn't work so well for me, I wouldn't be telling you to do this. I know everyone has their own way... But it has been amazing for me. And I know the reason why it didn't work for you is because you weren't taking enough and you were not on Suboxone. Consider it.... talk with your husband about it....

Old 04-29-2004, 11:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

Hey - I did want to add that the amount of money they plan on charging you is a good price. Do you have insurance and if so, do they cover Suboxone/Subutex? You will not regret going and getting on this medication. It has saved my life and if I had a dollar for everytime I've said that on this board and to people I know, I would be one wealthy woman. Seriously, it's amazing and yes, you will have to deal with wds when you get off of it but it will save your life TODAY or whenever you start on it. I'm happy for you. And, as far as the money goes... the way I look at it is how much is my life worth? In addition, how much were/are you spending on hydros? Keep us posted...

Old 04-29-2004, 01:54 PM   #7

Brenda1231 HB User

Well...not sure if I mentioned that I have the buprenorphine I obtained from an IOP.
Today is day 2 taking it.
I have taken 2 hydros yesterday and 2 today.
So 4 total in 2 days. My normal intake would have been about 40 in 2 days!

I don't have insurance, that is why I was questioning the price. Also the amount of Doc visits and how long you stay on the subutex.

The IOP temgesic I am taking is .2 mg. So it is very weak compared to the 2 and 8 mg Us version.
Although I take 4 in the am and then 2 more a couple of times a day throughout the day.

So my questions about the US buprenorphine program:

Do you take the Subutex once a day, twice a day????
Do you get it at your local pharmacy?

The Doctor fee of $156 they quoted me is only for the first visit, which I am told is to see if I qualify. Then they will send me to the Bupe Doc if I qualify.

This is all through our Medical University.
The only other Bupe Doc listed in my area said she wouldn't be prescribing the bupe for now, she wanted to put me on fentanyl patches, which I fear would be more trouble to kick.

At any rate, althugh I don't feel great, and I am big time craving (I have 120 pills...a new refill) I haven't caved in as of yet.

Old 04-29-2004, 04:09 PM   #8

tryinmybest HB User

Brenda,

I have been on sub around 6 months. The pills cost around $5 each. I get mine at Walgreens. My original dose was 4 mg per day. I took full dose in the morning. After the inital visit my Doc charges $80 for a med evaluation. Some insurances cover both the pills and the visit. My meds cost me $20 per script. I have cut my dose to 1 mg (1/2 of a 2 mg pill). I plan to be drug free in the next 4-8 weeks.

TMB

Old 05-03-2004, 07:12 PM   #9

dschne HB User

Hello everyone just wanted to add to what Banker said on this the sub is expensive my initial visit included 8 pills subutex was $245 2nd visit was another 150 inluded butex 3rd visit was 100 included enough suboxone for the week 3.5 tabs a day 8mg.but this stuff works finding i only need 2 to 2.5 a day right now and feel fine go back in on friday 7th ....see ya/ll feeling so good like a real MAN . Well olmost....

Old 05-07-2004, 08:07 PM   #10

dschne HB User
Smile Re: A Hello and ? about Subutex

just wanted to check in with my favorite group of folks. I have really missed reading things this week have been working out of the country so wasnt able and have just a minute to check in.Just wanted ya/ll to know that today is day 9 no hydro I am so happy to be able to say that honestly and I feel great down to 2.5 sub a day my sub doc cxld my appt for today so wont go to him till tues now but my life feels so normal dont ever want to go back to that ***** feeling.I will check in sometime this weekend and hope all of you are doing great thanks again for all your help and support this is a great group of folks and support for those that are new and just reading this.Thanks again ya/ll
Dan

Old 05-07-2004, 09:44 PM   #11

WhiteDevils HB User

Hi Brenda!

You are the lucky person that I first post to on this board! L.O.L. I am also a pill addict. I was taking at the most 10 7.5 vic's a day. I have been for about 3 years now. Of course not that many every day for 3 years. It starts as 1 a day then 2 a day then so on! I do not know all the answers about the sub doctors. Actually I don't have the answer to any of it, except what I have read on the other boards. It is costly for the doctors appt and the sub. I'm not sure if my insurance paid for my script or not, I don't believe it did. I paid 68.00 for a total of 17 pills. Put how much vic's cost for as many as I was taking a day and that is nothing. THAT IS CHEAP! I would call before you appt sometime and ask them how much etc. As far as qualifying. I'm sure it is the fact of how many you take versus how long you have taken them and where is your head at as far as wanting to quit (how dedicated to it are you) My appt was really messed up I saw my doctor for a total of 2 minutes and got my script. He was late (long story) to my appt and I had to leave as soon as he got there, so he wrote me a script told me what to do. Good luck! let me know how it goes. I just started coming to this board a few days ago so not sure how everything works!

Old 05-08-2004, 04:40 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

When was/is your appt.? Did you go? What are down to now on hydros vs. the tems? Let us know...

Old 05-08-2004, 06:06 AM   #13

WhiteDevils HB User

Banker my appt was 2 weeks ago, I go again on Tuesday. Yes I went I am on the Sub now. I am very curious as to coming off of them. From someone that was only taking Vic's that switched to Sub and came off sub with no other med's in their system. I might start taking zoloft or something. I haven't had any hydro since gosh my first appt. 2 weeks now I think. (Yeah 2 weeks) I have been tempted to get off the sub and back on the Vic's, but I am trying to talk myself out of that. Aren't you on Sub, I have read your story etc, but my memory is so short. They say the pills will do that to you! ha! Have a good saturday all

Old 05-08-2004, 06:30 PM   #14

tryinmybest HB User

WDevil,

My experience was the same as yours. Only hydros this time. I am a long time heroin addict that was clean for years. Relapsed using hydro. Maybe 150-200 mg per day. Jumped on sub for six months. Was on 4 mg for most of the time. Went to 1mg for a month now off. What dose are you on. Good luck and I'll be glad to share my experiences if you have questions.

TMB

Old 05-08-2004, 10:22 PM   #15

WhiteDevils HB User

I do have questions about getting off of Sub, but it seems everyone is going around that question and doesn't want to answer it! Kind of scarey! I am on 8mg Sub 2mg blocker(whatever u call it) I was supposed to take 1 a day, but I take 1/2 in morning and 1/2 around 12:00 followed by a 15 min nap and I usually feel pretty good. I did take an extra 1/2 yesterday. I just want to know the relations of Vic wd's and Sub wd's. Should I go back to vic's and wd from them? I don't want pills anymore. Today I went shopping and spent 350.00 on things iv'e wanted and needed, it was nice. Plus my bills are paid well except my house payment. it will be next week! anyhow that is what I wanted to know. So do you have children at home?

Closed Thread