It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2004, 09:20 PM   #1

violetz98 HB User
Red face Suboxone and Opiate Mixtures?

I have currently been on suboxone for about two weeks (16 mg/day) and unfortunately I broke my foot in a car accident earlier this evening. I was prescribed pain medication and haven't taken any because I was concerned about what the reaction may be with the pain medication and suboxone. I didn't want to tell the ER doctor that I was on suboxone for fear that they may look at me like a drug addict. My doctor who prescribed the suboxone won't be available until tommorrow morning at the earliest. I was wondering if it is safe to in fact take the painkillers to ease the pain since I havent taken my suboxone medication in almost a day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2004, 09:28 PM   #2
Inactive

herbal HB User
Re: Suboxone and Opiate Mixtures?

What's the pain killer they put you on?

As far as I know, the pain killer might not be effective if you take it with the Suboxone. There should be no dangerous interaction as far as hurting you. But you might respond to the mix differently.

I don't want to tell you it's ok though, and you end up getting sick or something like that. But as far as I have read (i read up on opiates constantly, Suboxone being no exception) and it SHOULD be ok. But like I said, the pain med might not be effective due to the Suboxone.

If I find out anymore info before anyone else replies, I'll get back as soon as I can.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2004, 09:39 PM   #3
Inactive

herbal HB User

Ok, I got some good info. But still, it's important you tell me what pain med they put you on.

The only real dangerous interaction with Suboxone appears to be with benzodiazepines (diazepam, alprazolam, etc). Also, if your on any kind of antifungal, get advice from a health care professional.
Since you havn't taken your Sub for a day, it should be ok.

But what opiate were you dependant on to be put on Sub?

Old 04-28-2004, 09:51 PM   #4

violetz98 HB User

I was originally addicted on oxycontin 80's....i think the pain med theyre putting me on is a benzo...its oxycodone tabs....should i just not take it then since most likely it wont be effective..???...thanks for replying so quickly by the way...do you think i should just ask the pharmacist who is filling the prescription...when i filled my suboxone Rx though they had no clue what it was.....

Old 04-29-2004, 05:11 AM   #5
Inactive

sadsister HB User

Oxycodone is the same property as O.C.'s..its not a benzo-just an opiate.
I am also on sub-if you haven't taken your sub in a day-you are ok-when you restart the sub-make sure you wait at least 24 hrs.
heather

Old 04-29-2004, 05:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

There are so many unknowns with this drug as it is still fairly new.If it was me, I would call the pharmacist maybe at a hospital,or better yet,wait until the morning to actually call the dr.If I had been here last night, i would have told you to call that Drs office anyway,as almost every doc has some sort of answering service that can at least get your doc or another in the practice to answer emergent questions such as this.something to note,if something like this happens again.I hope the pain isn't too overwhelming.

You know, when you are taking any drug at any time, you should always research it and find out as much info on it as you can.It could become very important to know all you can about the drug should you have a situation like you are dealing with right now.

Sorry i couldn't be of more help to you. Marcia

Old 04-29-2004, 05:52 AM   #7
Inactive

sadsister HB User

Please always ask you dr/pharmacist first-!I know only from my own experience-but every ones chemistry is differant...
Im not a dr...just a sub patient.
Heather

Old 04-29-2004, 08:34 AM   #8

tryinmybest HB User

There will be no harmful interactions. The main thing is you will not feel the other opiates. They are pretty much rendered useless because of the sub. If you have had no bad reactions to the individual drugs I wouldn't expect too much to go terribly wrong. Let me preface some things. I am not a Doc so there are always the unknowns. I am just another guy on sub who unfortunatly share similar experiences with you. Good Luck!

TMB

Old 04-29-2004, 10:49 AM   #9

sammi HB User

I agree with Marcia and would call your pharmacist or even call the ER and ask them just to make sure it's okay.

Good luck,
Sam

Last edited by sammi; 04-29-2004 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something

Old 04-29-2004, 10:58 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

I would not take the pain medicine. It will not help you whatsoever because Suboxone stays in your system for like 3 days... The suboxone binds to your receptors and will not let any other type of opiate touch them... I wouldn't even bother but would just take advil or some other type of non narcotic. Also, and I hate to say this because I don't know what I would do but you have got to always tell the ER or any other doc that is treating you what you are taking since Sub is so new... It would have been important for them to know so that they could have given you something that would have helped w/your pain... I know you can mix Subutex w/other opiates (although it makes you kind of crazy) but not Suboxone. Hope this helped. It's just better to be safe than sorry and you will be wasting your time w/the oxycodone... It just will not bind at all... You might as well be taking a sugar pill as far as the pain goes. But again, I would NOT mix the two.

Closed Thread